LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Review of LX 470

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-04, 08:03 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav system

I'm not fully satisfied with the nav system in my '04 LX. It's an amazing piece of equipment, but it also does maddening things. Most of all, it often creates non-sensical routes. For example, I recently traveled from Tucson to Las Vegas, and the system generated three alternate routes, like it's supposed to, but not one of the three was the most direct route, using US93. One of the routes was through Los Angeles!

The Bluetooth connection failed during the trip and hasn't worked since. I don't know whether it's the phone or the car's fault at this point. Could be cockpit trouble, for all I know.
Old 10-13-04, 01:18 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

rcf,
you may want to check your nav option settings, maybe during the demo your sales guy set it to avoid highways? just a shot in the dark.

As for others, I'm considering an '04 LX vs. an '05 Land Cruiser. Is the NAV system the same in those two? Anyone try both and have any thoughts on the price differential being worth it?
Old 10-13-04, 01:49 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

The system has the option of not allowing interstate highways, but I don't see where there is an option to REQUIRE the use of interstates. The system is acting like there is such an option, though.
Old 10-13-04, 02:19 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I know my system will take me out of my way to get me on a stinking highway, sometimes costing me a lot of time. I've gotten now where I set it to "shortest route" by default. I've even noticed that the "fastest route" according to the NAV has a longer travel time than the "shortest route". So I get in the habit of previewing each one before I pick.

But at least mine is giving me a decent option. Sounds like yours isn't.

It's hard, I guess I want the software to know what I'm thinking sometimes. I don't want to get on a highway all the time, but then sometimes I get mad when it puts me on a 2 lane road in the sticks. Oh well!
Old 10-13-04, 05:36 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Yeah, the Dionne Warwick psychic friends option!! I want that on mine too!!!!

Last edited by Doc C; 10-13-04 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 06:50 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jacksonian

As for others, I'm considering an '04 LX vs. an '05 Land Cruiser. Is the NAV system the same in those two? Anyone try both and have any thoughts on the price differential being worth it?
The Nav is identical.
Old 10-14-04, 10:34 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Default The Nav System

To an earlier posting by Doc C....

In terms of the Nav having wonderful features and great graphics, I mostly agree with that premise. Having said that, the volume thing simply cannot be overlooked. Saying the nav looks pretty aside from not being able to hear it is like saying your television has a great picture but you can't hear it. The sound is a pretty important thing for a nav system. I would imagine that most responsible drivers have their eyes fixed on the road they're driving on and not the pretty screen. Therefore, the aesthetics of the NAV become far less important while actually functioning and the volume becomes of paramount importance. I have a portable Garmin 2620 NAV system that has a little speaker that is five times louder than what is in the LX. That is simply inexcusable! I've also had issues with the routes it's taken me. I would imagine that most people don't really notice this issue, as most people have no idea what the shortest route is, hence their use of the nav system. I've tried putting in destinations I've been going to for years just to see what it comes up with and some of the routes it maps out are 20 miles out of the way.

Now, to be fair, I've been driving my 04 LX470 since March and it is indeed a beautiful truck (as I mentioned in my original review). I don't want to put down the vehicle as one not worth owning. As I said before and I'll say again...Lexus needs to improve upon this vehicle or drop the price by about 20K. No automobile manufacturer has any right charging upwards of $76K for a car that has issues an average teenager good figure out were going to be major hindrances.

One final thing...The person who posted about the Mercedes nav. Mercedes began putting DVD based navs in their 2002 vehicles. I own a 2003 ML 500 and the graphics and map definitely are not anywhere near as pretty as the Lexus. That said, the Mercedes always displays what street and what town you're in at all times, which is a great feature (you must hit the map button every time you want to know where you are in the Lexus). The Mercedes also gives you an arrival time, as opposed to how many minutes away you are. Although this isn't critical, it is a nice feature to able to give the screen a quick glance and tell someone what time you're expected to be at your destination. And finally, and most importantly, the Mercedes nav voice can be heard under any listening conditions because Mercedes was bright enough to amplify the voice througout the entire speaker system, as opposed to one little speaker.

John from Boston
Old 10-17-04, 09:45 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Enigma869,

I agree that the audio in the LX (or any other car for that matter) on the NAV should be able to be heard. I never had a problem with the NAV volume in my SC430. That's the only comparison I have at this point other than the wretched Touareg!! I get my 2005 LX in a few days hopefully. Have you checked other LXs at the dealer to see if you have one thats got problems?? Could a stereo shop make mods to the speaker that's there to make it louder??

You said Lexus is charging upwards of $76K for an LX??? WOW. Mine has every option available brand new and I'm paying $65,500. Even MSRP was just over $72K. On the MB front, I was told at MB dealership 3-4 weeks ago that the SL55 I was looking at had a new DVD based NAV system vs the old CD based system. He said it was new for 2005. I assumed he meant all MBs had had the CD based system until now. Sorry. That must be incorrect.
If you consider the volume of the NAV system, or a slight difference in software applications a MAJOR hindrance to a vehicle, then maybe the LX isn't the right vehicle for you. I love the NAV system in my LX, but the reliability, quality, fit and finish, offroad capability, Mark Levinson, materials, resale value are all more important than a NAV system glitch or two IMHO. Hope you get your NAV system problem worked out. I've not heard any other complaints on the SC or LX forum about NAV volume that I'm aware of. Hope you get it worked out. Let us know.
Doc C
Old 10-18-04, 05:06 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
I love the NAV system in my LX, but the reliability, quality, fit and finish, offroad capability, Mark Levinson, materials, resale value are all more important than a NAV system glitch or two IMHO. Doc C
Exactly. LX is a great vehicle. My brother's LX470 never had a problem with this Navi voice volume. He also does not listen to loud music...so that could be the reason.

My '04 G500 came with CD-ROMs Navi (Command System). The DVD Navi for Mercedes came out in late-'04 models...mostly '05. The new DVD Navi is not touch-screen and is as hard to use as mine. Toyota & Honda system are far superior in user interface IMO. The volume on my Navi is thru the front speakers and can be adjusted...but the instructions for this is NOT in the book-length manual! I found the way by accident.

I bought the G-wagen with the full understanding that it's Navi system is behind the times...the vehicle itself is far more important than the Navi system IMO. So, John, if this is your only complaint, then just blow it off. It's a small thing. Lesser of two evils in my opinion...when compared to the Mercedes Command system. You have a great vehicle.

Last edited by tigmd99; 10-18-04 at 05:08 AM.