LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Headlight protection

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 08:56 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight protection

This is the second time I've replaced a headlight assembly due to a stone cracking the glass. The first time was about a year ago in our '98 Land Cruiser, and now I just had to replace one in our '04. I replaced it myself so I saved some money, but at $200 a pop for the assembly, I'm tiring of it.

I've heard of some clear thick plastic that you can apply to the headlamp to diminish the risk. Any one hear heard of it?
Old 05-30-04, 07:57 AM
Jack F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3m clear bra on my 04 VW Touareg. The headlights are lexan/plexiglass type of material that actually will chip. I have had no problem.

There are manufacturers that make precut headlight protectors that are made of much thicker material. The 3m clear bra shouldn't cost more than 35 for you headlights. Get a quote before you show up in the LX and they smell bucks and get you for 100.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-04, 04:24 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jack F
I have 3m clear bra on my 04 VW Touareg. The headlights are lexan/plexiglass type of material that actually will chip. I have had no problem.

There are manufacturers that make precut headlight protectors that are made of much thicker material. The 3m clear bra shouldn't cost more than 35 for you headlights. Get a quote before you show up in the LX and they smell bucks and get you for 100.

Good luck.
Thanks!

I actually have a Land Cruiser. I did go to a local car specialty shop and they quoted me something like $60 for a heavy mil plastic sheeting. I may go with that unless I can find something else.

Last edited by Gohawks63; 05-30-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-31-04, 07:57 AM
tabraha
Driver

G, I've been looking for awhile now and $60 is about the best I could find them until today. I had just resigned to buying a sheet and cutting them myself for that much $$$ I'd have extra material for other vehicles. Today I found these guys http://www.autosportcatalog.com and they have a kit for my LX for $45, that covers the headlights, signals and fogs! It's X-Pel which is one of the 3M products (many are but don't say it). I think yours is the same price even though it is a different shaped kit. Hope all is going well.

Tad
Old 05-31-04, 09:43 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I have the xpel light kit although I have been too lazy to get it installed. Lot of the Norcal GS/IS group use xpel and have had very good experience.
Old 05-31-04, 09:34 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally posted by tabraha
G, I've been looking for awhile now and $60 is about the best I could find them until today. I had just resigned to buying a sheet and cutting them myself for that much $$$ I'd have extra material for other vehicles. Today I found these guys http://www.autosportcatalog.com and they have a kit for my LX for $45, that covers the headlights, signals and fogs! It's X-Pel which is one of the 3M products (many are but don't say it). I think yours is the same price even though it is a different shaped kit. Hope all is going well.

Tad
Thanks Tad, I'll check it out.

** Edit **

I ended up ordering a set, for $46, $53 shipped. Thanks Tad!

Last edited by Gohawks63; 06-01-04 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-01-04, 02:10 PM
Milla...

Hmmm no issues yet but I may look into this. Thanks and good find by the way.
Old 06-14-04, 08:25 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally posted by tabraha

Tad
Update on this.

Ordered a set (you have to specify year, make & model). Was told that it could take up to three weeks, got it in four days!

Kit consisted of both headlamps, fog lamps and side marker lights. Pretty thick stuff.

Followed directions and applied the film and tried working out the air bubbles, but there was still quite a bit. Instructions state that there will be bubbles for up to two weeks (kinda like when you get your windows tinted). Well after a week, all the bubbles are gone. You can't even tell the film is on there unless you look at the edge ot the lamps.

Now we'll see if they actually protect.

Thanks Tad for the find!

Last edited by Gohawks63; 06-14-04 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-14-04, 09:20 PM
00LC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Gohawks63
Update on this.

Ordered a set (you have to specify year, make & model). Was told that it could take up to three weeks, got it in four days!

Kit consisted of both headlamps, fog lamps and side marker lights. Pretty thick stuff.

Followed directions and applied the film and tried working out the air bubbles, but there was still quite a bit. Instructions state that there will be bubbles for up to two weeks (kinda like when you get your windows tinted). Well after a week, all the bubbles are gone. You can't even tell the film is on there unless you look at the edge ot the lamps.

Thanks Tad for the find!
On my Volvo, there was a big gash in one of them. Had the headlights been bare, I am certain that they would have been cracked. Now, I use them on all of my cars.
Old 06-15-04, 01:20 PM
tabraha
Driver

Glad it worked out well!

Tad

Originally posted by Gohawks63
Update on this.

Thanks Tad for the find!
Old 06-15-04, 07:11 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Headlight protection

I would like to get a couple of pieces to cover my two headlights which are rectangular (H6054 type) anyone knows where I can get a couple of small pieces?

Thanks.