LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

What to look for on a used '99 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 08:56 PM
91Sedan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for on a used '99 LX470

Hi you all!

Currently I am looking for an SUV and I am looking at the Lexus LX470. I am new to the SUV world ( I currently own a 1991 Acura Legend LS).

I just had a few questions as to what I should look for on a used 1999 LX470.

-My Acura has to have it's water pump and timing belt changed every 90k. Is there a similar tb/wp interval on the LX470?

-The cooling system and drivetrain. Are there any things I should be looking out for?

-Are there any other things I should be aware of?

-As far as general upkeep goes- for those of you who take your LX470 to a shop- How much do you spend on regular maintenence like brakes and rotors, tranny flushes, radiator flushes, and stuff like that.

As you can see, I'm trying to learn more about the vehicle and Lexus in general and I thank you guys for setting up this forum. I hope to learn a lot more from you all in the future.

Thank You,
Marcus
Old 08-12-04, 04:53 AM
tabraha
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a t-belt that needs to be changed at 90k; like the Acura it is recomended to replace the water pump at the same time to save labor as a preventative item. It's full-time 4wd so be aware that there are some services that need to be performed once in a while as well for that. They aren't super expensive but maybe $100 a year or so? In '99 a rear electronic differential lock was offered; it is a desireable option for offroaders and even if you don't need it may help you sell it down the road. The vehicle still goes like crazy with the limited-slip and locking center differential that comes standard. I'd buy stoneguards for the headlights $400 each if a rock cracks them. The guards are less than $50 a pair. Nakamichi made the premium sound system in '99, don't know if you would be staying stock but that is the top of the line for that year from the factory. That's all off the top of my head.

Tad
Old 08-17-04, 06:56 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

One of the few common problems on these cars are the starter contacts wearing out.

Mine went bad at 108k or so on my Land Cruiser. I did the job myself, but I was quoted $165 which is not bad at all. I paid $25 for the contacts (dealer only part). The classic symptoms of this is when you turn the key, nothing happens, you just hear a click. After 4-5 tries it suddenly starts as if nothing were ever wrong!

If this ever happens, replace the contacts IMMEDIATELY, or you risk frying your starter AND your Alternator. Otherwise, these cars are about bulletproof.

Make sure to have your front wheel bearings repacked, mine started to go dry just after I bought it (at 95k) and it made a clunky, grinding noise which sounded scary. I had the bearings repacked, and everything was good as new after that-luckily no damage had been done.
Old 08-18-04, 06:59 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RPH74
One of the few common problems on these cars are the starter contacts wearing out.

Mine went bad at 108k or so on my Land Cruiser. I did the job myself, but I was quoted $165 which is not bad at all. I paid $25 for the contacts (dealer only part). The classic symptoms of this is when you turn the key, nothing happens, you just hear a click. After 4-5 tries it suddenly starts as if nothing were ever wrong!

If this ever happens, replace the contacts IMMEDIATELY, or you risk frying your starter AND your Alternator. Otherwise, these cars are about bulletproof.

Make sure to have your front wheel bearings repacked, mine started to go dry just after I bought it (at 95k) and it made a clunky, grinding noise which sounded scary. I had the bearings repacked, and everything was good as new after that-luckily no damage had been done.
I had a '98 Land Cruiser and after 90K miles, all I had go wrong is the starter that was previously mentioned (at 80K miles) and the power antenna motor. I had a headlight crack from a stone on both the '98 and on my new '04 as Tad mentioned. The headlight assembly lists (on the Land Cruiser) for close to $300, I got it wholesale. I'm guessing Lexus charges much more. I ended up buying the stoneguards per Tad's suggestion. Aside from that it was solid.

You'll love the vehicle.

Last edited by Gohawks63; 08-18-04 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 07:10 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also look for the exhuast manifold, it tend to crack. The crack is small as a hair line so you will hear the exhuast leak in the morning. Once the engine reach to operating temp, you won't hear it anymore(metal expand due to heat). Check for the rearmain seal, make sure it isn't leaking. The junction block on this vehicle tend to go out, rear view mirror doesn't work sometimes. The steering column make a groan noise when retracting, There is a TSB on this. Good luck with the new vehicle. You will love it.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 08-19-04 at 01:34 PM.