LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2005 Lx470

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 03:52 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't understand why the 2005 LX does not have the new / upgraded V8 Engine that is now available in 2005 Toyota Truck Models. Lexus should have at least gotten this upgrade first or at the same time as Toyota. The LX is an amazing vehicle, but just needs more power for that size of a SUV.

Hopefully the GX will at least still get this engine / HP upgrade in 2005.
Old 09-12-04, 09:27 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexguynj
I still don't understand why the 2005 LX does not have the new / upgraded V8 Engine that is now available in 2005 Toyota Truck Models. Lexus should have at least gotten this upgrade first or at the same time as Toyota. The LX is an amazing vehicle, but just needs more power for that size of a SUV.

Hopefully the GX will at least still get this engine / HP upgrade in 2005.
the 05 Gx will have the new 270 hp engine, plus bluetooth, upgraded suspension, and maybe the new version nav system
Old 09-13-04, 12:32 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey I just found this update on the Land Cruiser.

Another new model at the Toyota stand will be the updated Land Cruiser. The 3.0-liter D-4D diesel engines in the 2005 version gets a new common-rail injection system, a revised turbocharger, and a completely new swirl control system. Torque increases to 303 lb-ft at 1800 rpm with 90 percent available from 1500 rpm. Maximum power has been increased to 164 hp. Also new is the standard six-speed manual transmission, a brake booster for improved brake feel, and a dual-stage seatbelt fastening reminder for the front-seat passenger.

This picture looks like a new care to me, or am I just totally clueless....
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Lx470-8356_image.jpg  
Old 09-13-04, 12:39 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Looks like a GX470.
Old 09-13-04, 12:43 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Horta

Another new model at the Toyota stand will be the updated Land Cruiser. The 3.0-liter D-4D diesel engines in the 2005 version gets a new common-rail injection system, a revised turbocharger, and a completely new swirl control system. Torque increases to 303 lb-ft at 1800 rpm with 90 percent available from 1500 rpm. Maximum power has been increased to 164 hp. Also new is the standard six-speed manual transmission, a brake booster for improved brake feel, and a dual-stage seatbelt fastening reminder for the front-seat passenger.

I won't call you clueless that's the GX470 that they sell in the other part of the world. They are talking about changes to that vehicle for other than US customers. Keep looking and let us know what you find.
Old 09-14-04, 06:45 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Sorry guys. I was always under the impression the Land crusier was the Toyota version of the LX470. I have been antiously waiting for a new LX to come out. I thought that was it.
Old 09-14-04, 08:26 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys. I was always under the impression the Land crusier was the Toyota version of the LX470. I have been antiously waiting for a new LX to come out. I thought that was it.
Technically it's the other way around. The LX is the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser.

The Land Cruiser model dates back fifty years.

Check out this cool mini-site on the Toyota website. Lot's of cool info, facts and history on the LC.

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/minisite/index.html
Old 09-14-04, 08:41 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LX 470 is known as the Land Cruiser Cygnus in other markets, while the GX 470 is known as the Land Cruiser Prado. Finally, the vehicle known as the Land Cruiser to the US market (which looks similar to the LX) is known as the Land Cruiser 100.

Last edited by squarehat; 09-14-04 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 09:40 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

this is what i've been saying. THIS IS THE COUNTERPART OF THE GX470, AND THE 4RUNNER ISN'T THE COUNTERPART OF THE GX470. This is the Land Cruiser Prado, and it was only introduced in the asian countries. check out the gx470 forum and you'll see several threads on it.
Old 09-19-04, 05:26 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Rx900
this is what i've been saying. THIS IS THE COUNTERPART OF THE GX470, AND THE 4RUNNER ISN'T THE COUNTERPART OF THE GX470. This is the Land Cruiser Prado, and it was only introduced in the asian countries. check out the gx470 forum and you'll see several threads on it.
I don't understand what you are saying? The GX470 is too the 4th generation 4runner what the LX470 is to the Landcruiser. The Lexus is just the Luxury version. Both the GX470 and 4runner are made in the same factory and are identical except for sheet metal. You have the KDDS option that you can get on the GX that you can't get on the 4runner and the leather is softer in the GX then the 4runner but you pay for these additions and the Lexus warranty/service. Equiped the same a GX470 will run around $12K more than the 4runner. If you can live without leather you can get all of the good stuff that comes on the GX470 for around $15K less on a 4runner SE 4.7 V8 AWD. I think the price spread between the Landcruiser and the LX470 are about the same. The Lexus SUV's LX470/GX470 are not a "more bang for your buck" purchase. I still think they are worth what you pay for them and they come with great service/warranty.
Old 09-19-04, 07:08 PM
stelios
Rookie

Default Good Luck

You new truck looks great I wish you the very best and enjoy your new LX
Old 09-19-04, 08:00 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PitBull
I don't understand what you are saying? The GX470 is too the 4th generation 4runner what the LX470 is to the Landcruiser. The Lexus is just the Luxury version. Both the GX470 and 4runner are made in the same factory and are identical except for sheet metal. You have the KDDS option that you can get on the GX that you can't get on the 4runner and the leather is softer in the GX then the 4runner but you pay for these additions and the Lexus warranty/service. Equiped the same a GX470 will run around $12K more than the 4runner. If you can live without leather you can get all of the good stuff that comes on the GX470 for around $15K less on a 4runner SE 4.7 V8 AWD. I think the price spread between the Landcruiser and the LX470 are about the same. The Lexus SUV's LX470/GX470 are not a "more bang for your buck" purchase. I still think they are worth what you pay for them and they come with great service/warranty.

i see why ur confused, it comes to a point that some of us guyz here don't understand or know that the 4runner is NOT 100% the counterpart of the Gx470. heck, look up photos of the Land Cruiser PRADO, jst change the lights, bumper, badge, and roof rack sides, it'd be a Gx470! I know that the 4runner shares the same engine, same chasis, and same other stuffs, but the Prado has EXACTLY the same thing, even the same size! Just change the lights, and some cosmetic stuffs, then it would be a Gx470. Why?, try changing cosmetics on the 4runner, wouldn't be the same. the only thing is, the PRADO is also available with a V6 engine.

We don't have the Prado here, why? well because if we have the prado here, no one's going to buy the Gx470 (or not as much). Let's put it this way, if there was a Toyota Harrier (Rx300/Rx330 counterpart) was here, they wouldn't have sold as many Rx300s/Rx330s as they did, because most of the people who buy Lexus vehicles have a very stretched, or tight budget. If they have the option of the Harrier, or Prado in this case, then why would people spend $50 for a Gx470, when they can get the Prado fully loaded for maybe around $35-40k, and it's only missing the Lexus badge. so that's why we don't have these vehicles here, and instead, have the 4runner as "supposidly the counterpart Gx470" for us who don't know about the Prado, and we have the Highlander instead of the Harrier.

But I truly believe ur getting ur money's worth, in the difference between Toyota and Lexus. Why else would people buy Lexus, if there's no difference in quality, service, and warranty and pay $10-15k more if ur only paying for the badge.
Old 09-19-04, 08:15 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

http://www2.toyota.com.sa/g/g01_32.html
Old 09-19-04, 08:17 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

correct, the Land Cruiser IS the Toyota version of the Lx470
Old 09-19-04, 08:34 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Rx900
i see why ur confused, it comes to a point that some of us guyz here don't understand or know that the 4runner is NOT 100% the counterpart of the Gx470. heck, look up photos of the Land Cruiser PRADO, jst change the lights, bumper, badge, and roof rack sides, it'd be a Gx470! I know that the 4runner shares the same engine, same chasis, and same other stuffs, but the Prado has EXACTLY the same thing, even the same size! Just change the lights, and some cosmetic stuffs, then it would be a Gx470. Why?, try changing cosmetics on the 4runner, wouldn't be the same. the only thing is, the PRADO is also available with a V6 engine.

We don't have the Prado here, why? well because if we have the prado here, no one's going to buy the Gx470 (or not as much). Let's put it this way, if there was a Toyota Harrier (Rx300/Rx330 counterpart) was here, they wouldn't have sold as many Rx300s/Rx330s as they did, because most of the people who buy Lexus vehicles have a very stretched, or tight budget. If they have the option of the Harrier, or Prado in this case, then why would people spend $50 for a Gx470, when they can get the Prado fully loaded for maybe around $35-40k, and it's only missing the Lexus badge. so that's why we don't have these vehicles here, and instead, have the 4runner as "supposidly the counterpart Gx470" for us who don't know about the Prado, and we have the Highlander instead of the Harrier.

But I truly believe ur getting ur money's worth, in the difference between Toyota and Lexus. Why else would people buy Lexus, if there's no difference in quality, service, and warranty and pay $10-15k more if ur only paying for the badge.
I now understand what your saying. Only the buyers that do their home work realize that the 4runner and GX470 are brothers, I can see where that helps the sales. I was talking to a Lexus salesmen the other day while I was getting a oil/filter change. Asked him about when the new GX's with the VVTi engines would be showing up. He said they always had VVTi engines. Well after I corrected him, he stated that most of the Lexus buyers never ask any questions that are technical. All they normally want to know about our features like stereo, bun warmers, etc. 'Rx900' I've alway thought it was weird that the LC and LX were twins except for the emblem on them. I bet they will also follow the 4runner/GX470 trend and the next generation will be the same except the coach work will be different.

PS- I don't think there is any difference in quality in the 4runner and GX470 since they are made in the same factory. Matter of fact from reading the 4runner board and the GX470 board it seems that the GX470 is having more quality control problems then the 4runner. But I bet it is more of a difference in expectations, guys that buy a 4runner think they are buying a truck/SUV when you buy a Lexus you don't think that it should drive like a body on frame truck/SUV so when you get the "normal" thumps and harmonics that come with a body on frame vehicle the Lexus buyer complains. The normal 4runner owner thinks it's normal. Just an observation

Last edited by PitBull; 09-19-04 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Lx470