LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2005 LX470 Changes & TTRD charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 06:41 PM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 LX470 Changes & TTRD charger

First Question: 05 Engine changes

I see 2 threads below mine, someone bought a new 2005 LX470 from Longo.
I thought the 05 had a more powerful engine. I know for sure they have the new GEN4 NAV.

Anyone think the DEC 2005 production will have more HP? Anyone hear about the 05 engine changes? Lexus web site still has the 2005 model listed with the same HP for the engine.

Second Question:

Also, I spoke to Longo Lexus ..Told them I was buying a 2005 LX470 and wanted the TRD charger. They said the TRD super charger is for the Landcruiser and not a Lexus add on. They will install it, but will not warranty the engine for any defects that arise since it is a Toyota part on a Lexus vehicle?
Any truth to this?
Has anyone added a TRD charger to their 04 or 05 model and had any warranty issues.

Thanks All,

if you want to e-mail me directly ....
Vipermann1@yahoo.com
Old 09-08-04, 07:45 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2005 LX470 Changes & TTRD charger

Originally posted by vipermann1
They will install it, but will not warranty the engine for any defects that arise since it is a Toyota part on a Lexus vehicle?
Any truth to this?
Has anyone added a TRD charger to their 04 or 05 model and had any warranty issues.

Thanks All,

if you want to e-mail me directly ....
Vipermann1@yahoo.com
What the hell does the dealer mean "Toyota part on a Lexus vehicle"? Do they see all the little Toyota markings throught the engine bay?
Old 09-09-04, 07:00 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Default TRD Supercharger

I just checked trdusa.com, and the supercharger for the LX470 (or any vehicle with the 4.7 liter engine) is no longer listed. Back in June it was listed. I read somewhere else that it was no longer being offerred. Apparently this is the case. This is unfortunate.
Old 09-09-04, 10:07 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2005 LX470 Changes & TTRD charger

Originally posted by vipermann1
They will install it, but will not warranty the engine for any defects that arise since it is a Toyota part on a Lexus vehicle?
That's a load of crap. You should ask him who supplies all his Lexus parts. The warranty is something else you need to look into.
Old 09-09-04, 05:36 PM
ozlx470
Rookie

Not a complete load of crap. The engineering specifications and failure rates for Lexus components are much higher/lower than those for Toyota components.
Old 09-09-04, 08:17 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally posted by ozlx470
Not a complete load of crap. The engineering specifications and failure rates for Lexus components are much higher/lower than those for Toyota components.
It's the same damn vehicle. In many cases, it's the same part number. Let's not all buy into the marketing BS.

I will give you that Lexus may have higher grade leather, or more sound deadening insulation, but as I mentioned, many of the major components (i.e., engine, transfer case, transmission, etc.) are identical between the LX and the Land Cruiser. The whole idea of badge engineering is cost savings by sharing parts.
Old 09-09-04, 09:28 PM
ozlx470
Rookie

I suggest you read

http://www.detnews.com/2004/specialr.../a15-70498.htm
Old 09-10-04, 10:58 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally posted by ozlx470
I suggest you read

http://www.detnews.com/2004/specialr.../a15-70498.htm
That article speaks specifically about the Tahara plant which produces the LS and GS. Both of those are built on an exclusive platform. In other words they are not rebadged versions of existing Toyota vehicles such as the RX(Highlander), ES(Camry), GX(4Runner), and LX(Land Cruiser).

As for the following excerpt...

Toyota, already a stickler for quality, will not accept components if defects exceed 50 per million parts shipped. In contrast, for Lexus vehicles, Tahara managers insist on fewer than 10 defects per million parts.
That is a standard set by the Tahara plant that as I have come to find out, also builds the Land Cruiser but according to the Lexus website, DOES NOT build the LX.

Could it be that the LC is built in a plant that has higher standard than other plants?

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toy...ing/index.html

http://www.lexus.com/about/corporate/manufacturing.html

Last edited by Gohawks63; 09-10-04 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-11-04, 01:38 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Tahara is also where the GX and 4runner are built. It was the top plant Toyota has for quality and the most automated plant.
Old 09-11-04, 01:51 PM
ozlx470
Rookie

Originally posted by Gohawks63
That article speaks specifically about the Tahara plant which produces the LS and GS. Both of those are built on an exclusive platform. In other words they are not rebadged versions of existing Toyota vehicles such as the RX(Highlander), ES(Camry), GX(4Runner), and LX(Land Cruiser).

As for the following excerpt...

That is a standard set by the Tahara plant that as I have come to find out, also builds the Land Cruiser but according to the Lexus website, DOES NOT build the LX.

Could it be that the LC is built in a plant that has higher standard than other plants?

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toy...ing/index.html

http://www.lexus.com/about/corporate/manufacturing.html
If you fully read the first link you quote you will find that the Tahara plant does indeed manufacture the Landcruiser and as the Lexus brand is not yet sold in Japan then the Japanese web sites may not fully reflect the actual manufacturing locations. But this is a spurious to the main thrust that is that the Lexus brand does have higher specifications than the normal Toyota specifications.

Last edited by ozlx470; 09-11-04 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 02:35 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Toyota, already a stickler for quality, will not accept components if defects exceed 50 per million parts shipped. In contrast, for Lexus vehicles, Tahara managers insist on fewer than 10 defects per million parts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
50 per millon or 10 per million failures, OK guys this does not make sense when you talk about the LC or the LX. Like how many LX's have they made??? Can some one explain this to me based on the limited production/sales of the 100 series LC and the LX470?

Also since they use the same engine/transmission/frame/etc. basicly the same vehicle how can they have different defect standards?
Old 09-12-04, 06:16 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally posted by PitBull

Also since they use the same engine/transmission/frame/etc. basicly the same vehicle how can they have different defect standards?
That's my point precisely! At least someone understands what I'm trying to say.

The parts are coming in and as you mentioned, the LC and LX share those major components. Since the plant builds both vehicles and the parts are shared, how in the world can they apply different standards for the LX over the LC????

If anything, since the LC is built in that same plant, it may be benefitting from the Lexus quality stndards that are being imposed by the suppliers.
Old 09-12-04, 07:59 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Gohawks63
That's my point precisely! At least someone understands what I'm trying to say.

The parts are coming in and as you mentioned, the LC and LX share those major components. Since the plant builds both vehicles and the parts are shared, how in the world can they apply different standards for the LX over the LC????

If anything, since the LC is built in that same plant, it may be benefitting from the Lexus quality stndards that are being imposed by the suppliers.
At least when it comes to the Landcruiser I doubt there is any difference. The Landcruiser is the "Brand" the LX is just a softer riding more luxury version of the Landcruiser. I look at the Landcruiser as not a Toyota or a Lexus but a name unto itself. I hope that never changes but I'm affraid it might in the future.
Old 09-12-04, 01:53 PM
LEXTECH
Driver School Candidate

Default 05 LX470

The 05 LX will have small changes compared to the 04. The LX will be changed entirely for 06,that's when it will get a larger, more powerful engine. Possibly 5.5L then it will be known as the LX550. The reason behind the engine change instead same engine with higher HP, is because Toyota wants to strike back at Nissan for bringing out the Titan with it's 5.6L engine, so the Tundra,(Seqouia maybe) LandCruiser,and Lexus LX are going to get this larger engine for 06. Also to not be so simillar to the GX470. Iknow there's other reasons, but I'm tired of typing already..
Old 09-12-04, 03:57 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

LEXTECH, will the LX get a full redesign for 06 or just a new engine? Isn't the total redesign expected for 07?

Quick Reply: 2005 LX470 Changes & TTRD charger