LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Starter going out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 09:31 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so...was the starter replacement related to the problem with the gasket?

I'm curious as to your statement regarding not working on your truck for a while...
Old 12-06-04, 10:32 AM
bsjoiner
Driver

The intake manifold had to be removed to access the starter to replace the starter contacts. The starter contacts were easy enough to do but i was told by multiple people that i would not have to replace the manifold gaskets when i re-installed the manifold. I spoke with four dealerships (toyota and lexus) and all of the master techs told me that they always replace the gaskets and that by hearing my problem (held phone while engine was running) and telling them what parts i had worked on that it was with no doubt the manifold gaskets. The siad that the gaskets are one time use only and need to be replaced when even the manifold is removed. They said that you can get lucky and have no leaks if yoiu reuse them but it is taking a chance. I was not so lucky. I was just saying that i always run into little problems when i work on my lx470. the truck is complicated and i have decided that in the future i will just go to the dealership and save the time and hassel. I might change my mind when i get the next repair quote from the dealership but i am just frustrated right now.
Old 12-06-04, 11:48 AM
Grd4Spd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhh....yessss.....the intake manifold gaskets! this (along with time issue) was why i let the mech do the install of the new starter....i simply didnt want to mess with tracking down leaky gaskets.....as that is most likely you problem here.

regards,
terry
Old 12-07-04, 06:30 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by bsjoiner
The intake manifold had to be removed to access the starter to replace the starter contacts. The starter contacts were easy enough to do but i was told by multiple people that i would not have to replace the manifold gaskets when i re-installed the manifold. I spoke with four dealerships (toyota and lexus) and all of the master techs told me that they always replace the gaskets and that by hearing my problem (held phone while engine was running) and telling them what parts i had worked on that it was with no doubt the manifold gaskets. The siad that the gaskets are one time use only and need to be replaced when even the manifold is removed. They said that you can get lucky and have no leaks if yoiu reuse them but it is taking a chance. I was not so lucky. I was just saying that i always run into little problems when i work on my lx470. the truck is complicated and i have decided that in the future i will just go to the dealership and save the time and hassel. I might change my mind when i get the next repair quote from the dealership but i am just frustrated right now.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune on this. I guess I got lucky when I didn't replace my manifold gaskets. So did you go ahead and replace the manifold gaskets then? Or will you have someone else do it for you?

BTW I seem to always run into problems when I work on ALL of my cars and repairs, so don't feel alone or too frustrated with your LX. Whether it be a broken bolt or needing a tool that I don't have, frustration is just about the name of the game with DIY automotive work for me. I also swore that I'd never do my own repairs again last winter when I replaced all 4 piston rings on my 91 Eclipse Turbo outside, in 35 degree weather! But a few weeks makes me forget, and I only remember the satisfaction of being able to tackle the job on my own.

Last edited by RPH74; 12-07-04 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-07-04, 07:18 PM
bsjoiner
Driver

Well guys i guess that my luck is still bad. I replaced the gaskets tonight and that did not fix the problem at all. I am towing it to the dealership right now and will just have them deal with it in the morning. I have absolutly no idea what it could be at this point but i do know that the car starts up like new thanks to the new contacts. I will let you know what the problem is as soon as i do tomorrow.
Old 12-08-04, 08:34 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Originally posted by bsjoiner
Well guys i guess that my luck is still bad. I replaced the gaskets tonight and that did not fix the problem at all. I am towing it to the dealership right now and will just have them deal with it in the morning. I have absolutly no idea what it could be at this point but i do know that the car starts up like new thanks to the new contacts. I will let you know what the problem is as soon as i do tomorrow.
Keep us posted.....
Old 12-09-04, 12:05 PM
bsjoiner
Driver

The dealership called me this morning and informed me that my fuel injector gaskets had been slightly dislodged (due to my installation of the intake) and that it was the reason for my problem. It took them a while to even notice it so i dont feel to stupid for missing it. They also said that the gaskets were showing some wear and crackind and so i told them to replace all of them (there are 3 per injector) cost of 85 bucks for all 24. The total cost parts and labor for my misfortune was around 500 bucks since i replaced the intake gaskets and throttle body gaskets in hope of solving my problem. I guess that i cant be too made because alot of things got replaced and my starter should be good for another 130k. This is just a word to the wise if any of you are thinking about this starter contact replacement.
Old 12-10-04, 05:23 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Glad to hear that you're up and running again! Do you remember if the fuel injectors spun freely when the intake manifold was off? If I remember it right, mine would move from side to side quite easily. Don't know if there is a check that can be done to make sure that the fuel injectors are seated correctly.
Old 12-10-04, 08:43 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about all the problems.
If it makes any difference to you...I got a quote for a starter replacement for my LX 450 that was just under $500. And that's with the starter on the 450 being in the open and fairly easy to access.

I have a friend who's been putting off the starter contact rebuild becuase he doesn't want to deal with the intake manifold...well, in his case, it's not just the manifold, but since he has a supercharger on his, he needs to remove it as well. His quote -- for the repair was around $900.