LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Booming noise at idle in gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 02:05 PM
tmorales
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Booming noise at idle in gear

My 2000 LX is making a booming type of noise (sort of like a subwoofer at low volumes). This only happens when the tranny is in gear and the revs drop to about 600 RPM. If I shift to neutral or park the revs go up slightly and the booming noise goes away. Has anyone else noticed this.?

I just checked at alldata.com and there is a TSB for the booming noise. Does anyone know what the repair entails. My car is out of warranty and would like to avoid the dealer if possible since the last time I was there they replaced an exhaust manifold at the tune of $1200.
Old 12-01-04, 09:30 AM
lindong
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. Dealer worked on it twice already and it's actually worse now. I'm taking my vehicle in for a third around later this week.
Old 12-01-04, 01:21 PM
tmorales
Driver School Candidate

The TSB entails replacing engine mount dampeners, adding a weight to the chassis frame, and changing the center muffler harmonic dampener. Let me know if your dealer ever gets it fixed and please let me know what ends up fixing it.
Old 12-16-04, 10:35 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same issue with the 01 LX. Could someone post a link for the TSB, so that I can print it out and take it to my dealer for a fix.
did someone get this fixed up succesfully at the dealer, if so what were the things that eventually resulted in fixing this ?
thnx.
Old 12-20-04, 01:33 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Hey,

I have had this problem worked on and I agree my booming noise (sounds like a constant low subwoofer) has actually gotten worse since they have written the problem up and ordered parts for it. They say that this is something common in LX's and my girlfriends GX has no problems of the sort. Kind of sucks. Anybody with an 04 or an 05 have this problem?

LL
Old 01-03-05, 08:41 AM
grumpster
Driver School Candidate

Default The gloves are off!

I have become very leary of the Lexus dealers in my area, (Chicago western burbs) saying the "exhaust booming" TSB fix doesn't work. And, although one dealer service manager says that my car has the worse vibration he has seen, he tells me that I will just have to live with it. I believe he is mistaken with that comment!

I own a LX470, RX300 & GS400. All three cars have been in for rediculous service issues too many times for the money I have spent. No, I will not accept that I have to live with my LX470 feeling like a Brookstone's vibrating chair!

I will be discussing my options with my attorney later this week. I am sure I will file a suit against Toyota Motor, and will be exploring the possibility of a class action suit so other LX470 owners will benifit as well.
Old 01-07-05, 11:23 AM
tmorales
Driver School Candidate

Keep us informed about any resolution.
Old 01-18-05, 04:34 AM
BWL05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by grumpster
I have become very leary of the Lexus dealers in my area, (Chicago western burbs) saying the "exhaust booming" TSB fix doesn't work. And, although one dealer service manager says that my car has the worse vibration he has seen, he tells me that I will just have to live with it. I believe he is mistaken with that comment!

I own a LX470, RX300 & GS400. All three cars have been in for rediculous service issues too many times for the money I have spent. No, I will not accept that I have to live with my LX470 feeling like a Brookstone's vibrating chair!

I will be discussing my options with my attorney later this week. I am sure I will file a suit against Toyota Motor, and will be exploring the possibility of a class action suit so other LX470 owners will benifit as well.

I have a "boomer", too, 2005 LX 470 with only 3,000 miles. Presently in the shop for evaluation, again. The local service guys have already been over it and don't have a clue and have called in someone else. I will post results of the service.
Old 01-20-05, 04:06 PM
BWL05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmorales
My 2000 LX is making a booming type of noise (sort of like a subwoofer at low volumes). This only happens when the tranny is in gear and the revs drop to about 600 RPM. If I shift to neutral or park the revs go up slightly and the booming noise goes away. Has anyone else noticed this.?

I just checked at alldata.com and there is a TSB for the booming noise. Does anyone know what the repair entails. My car is out of warranty and would like to avoid the dealer if possible since the last time I was there they replaced an exhaust manifold at the tune of $1200.
Just had my car serviced for this problem. This is the description from the service invoice, "Loose up engine mounts and complete exhaust system. Re-secure all following TSB EG001-04. Also swap out the three exahust damper to find the bese one that would tone down the booming noise" This seems to have done the job. I have only driven for a short while to come home, but did not notice the noise anymore. My car is really brand new, got it in Nov. so it is still under warranty. I am really surprised to have a problem like this with this car.
Old 02-05-05, 12:55 PM
grumpster
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: After contacting my attorney who placed a call to the zone office, my car is now back at the dealer and is being evaluated by the zone (regional) office service personal.

The TSB aparently does not work for most vehicles with this problem.

So, they want to keep the car for a few days to see if they can't come up with a fix.

They'd better come up with something. The lemon law filing is right around the corner!

Will keep you posted if you all want.
Old 02-10-05, 04:19 PM
lindong
Driver School Candidate

Finally took my car in for the third time and still no charm. The booming noise is still there. The only difference is that instead of a contant volume, it varies now. ( I'm going to take it to a different dealer for another round of hassle.
Old 02-10-05, 05:05 PM
grumpster
Driver School Candidate

Been about a week now and "zone" personal are working at a local dealership on a fix. I am told there are two zone service people working with dealer service personel. First two TSB attempts didn't work spo they flew in some additional parts to try. We will see how this goes.

Meanwhile, I am preparing the paperwork to file a suit , just in case.
Old 02-22-05, 09:41 AM
grumpster
Driver School Candidate

After 8 days of being in the shop, the vehicle repair has been completed.

They won't tell me much other than the delay was due to ordering additional dampers from the west coast to be installed. Aparently, the first two fixes didn't work. In fact, they made the booming worse.

I did my own research and learned that dampers are designed for various db ratings. In other words, a damper with a part number of xxyyzz may be for a db rating of 80, for example. A part number of aabbcc may be for a db rating of 70 db, and so on. I have no idea why a damper would be designed this way. I am not looking for an explination. It's frustrating enough just to deal with the mentality of dealers that I can only imagine how rediculous the explination would be.

Anyway, the dampers that the factory suggested in their TSB were not designed for the correct db level. That may explain why the additional dampers were ordered. Who knows. Frankly, it is a very safe assumption to say the dealers have no idea either, nor do they care.

All said and done, it has improved 90%. I'm happy with that.

I believe there are dealers, unlike Lexas of Naperville, Illinois, that would have taken the time to work with me from the beginning and would have solved this problem without my having to threaten a law suit. This is a very poor dealer when it comes to customer satisfaction, which I am sure contributed to the many service appointments, only to have my car returned saying they have no idea what I am talking about. Furthermore, it was amazing that it took four phone calls to the zone office before they cared enough to return my call as well.

As a side note about this dealer and Lexus in general, I recall one day while my car was being serviced, I wondered into the showroom to consider purchasing a vehicle for my summer home. The sales manager came out of his office and said (these are his exact words) "what do you need", "everyone is in a sales meeting so I don't want you in here alone". I explained that I had purchased over 150,000 in vehicles from this dealer within the last two years and how dare he talk to me that way. He then said " I don't care who you are, leave my showroom". With that, I called the zone office to voice my complaint. They weren't interested one bit, but said they would look into it. I did speak to my sales person about this who was very upset but clearly was hesitant to say anything to his boss! Never received a call from the zone or dealer after that.

I doubt very much I will regain my faith in Lexus and will most likely look at another car mfg. for my future purchases. I hope some of you may have better luck with your dealers and/or Lexus zone office.
Old 02-23-05, 11:49 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Grumpster,

Your experiences dont surprise me. I do thank you for the frank comments and getting to the point. It is just a sad state of affairs when we see Lexus service drop to such lows. But, its true as more and more dealers stoop to this level of service.

BTW, how did you find the zone service reps? Is there a number to call other than the customer service number. Those monkeys are complete idiots.
Old 02-23-05, 01:31 PM
grumpster
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dave.

Knowing where to find the zone office, well, it's kind of a funny story, if i was to find any humor in this at all.

The short story is, as a former distributor for GM, I called some GM associates who called their associates, well you know how that goes, to see if anyone could give me a direct contact into Lexus. Wouldn't you know, someone along the line came up with a name and number for a zone technical service person.

I contacted this person and during our conversation I discovered the zone office was two blocks from my house! Never even knew it was there. Now I know why I see so many lexuses in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I would be more then happy to forward a phone number and a gentleman's name for you to contact. I am sure he can direct you to a contact in your area. You can email me directly at cjlundahl(at)mac.com

I also have a 7 page Technical Service Bulletin which I would be happy to fax to you. May help quite a bit to expedite a fix for your vehicle. Let me know.

John

Quick Reply: Booming noise at idle in gear