LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Toyota Limited Service Campaign for '04 Navigations systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 08:52 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nicoff
I just had the upgrade done. Here are my first impressions:

1. Search and Directions seem to be a little bit faster.
2. It appears that there are now a lot more icons to choose when assigning attributes to an address/location, BUT...
3. System still tells me that I have arrived at my destination before I actually get there. This time it is maybe one and one-half blocks before instead of 3-4 blocks before.

I will continue testing. Maybe the new software has more addresses than before and perhaps I might be able to depend on it rather than my having to carry a second GPS (yes, my experience with Toyota's navi system has been THAT bad). Will keep you all posted.

As for Point 3, it may be designed that way. I went through the tutorial on the Lexus website, and they specifically say that it will tell you that you arrived before you get there so that "you have sufficient time to locate the spot" or something like that. They may be covering themselves on that one.

I do remember reading in my Acura owner's manual that navigation systems have some error purposefully built into it. Something about the Defense Department not wanting civilians to be able to have EXACT coordinates, but I believe that the error was something like 100 feet.
Old 01-17-05, 10:19 AM
nicoff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gohawks63 wrote:
"I do remember reading in my Acura owner's manual that navigation systems have some error purposefully built into it. Something about the Defense Department not wanting civilians to be able to have EXACT coordinates, but I believe that the error was something like 100 feet."

Indeed that used to be the case several years back. However, the US Government no longer restricts that information. Real-time and fully accurate data is now available to civilians (in fact surveyors use GPS equipment with real-time accuracy to the millimeter).

After the upgrade, I requested guidance to two locations. The first location, the GPS told me that I had arrived about 1-1/2 blocks before I actually did. The GPS took me to the second location just fine. Now the second location was a large shopping center so it is possible for it to still be a bit off and I could not tell. I will try more locations and see. I might even try addresses that the system could not find in the previous disc to see if they are now in the new DVD. Time will tell.
Old 01-20-05, 07:23 PM
BeatenPath
Driver School Candidate

For those of you doing the upgrade, what Nav disk version are you receiving from Lexus/Toyota? The version can be found by pressing the "MENU" button and then "DVD" in the upper right hand corner. Thanks!
Old 01-21-05, 12:51 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by BeatenPath
For those of you doing the upgrade, what Nav disk version are you receiving from Lexus/Toyota? The version can be found by pressing the "MENU" button and then "DVD" in the upper right hand corner. Thanks!
It says Version 4.2
Old 01-30-05, 10:48 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicoff
It says Version 4.2
Anyone know if this upgrade is applicable to the 2004 GX as well? Mine is a late production unit (Nov of 04) but the NAVI version is 4.1 and I do notice issues with it's accuracy and issues similar to those listed here. If Lexus matches up the service with the VIN numbers, can anyone here produce the VIN range that is applicable (or point me to a source)? We will probably have the first 5K service work done sometime in Feb or March. FIgured I'd put this on the list if it's applicable to my GX. Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-05, 11:58 AM
nicoff
Rookie

OK, after having updated to the new DVD a little over a month ago, here is my experience so far:
The Good:
1. I no longer have to carry a second (portable) DVD unit. It seems that the database now has more addresses. Before the update, I was batting about 50% or worse. Now, the system seems to have most addresses that I key in.
The Bad:
1. The system still tells you that you have arrived to your destination several hundred feet before you actually do. So after the systems stops voicing directions you still have to find your way around. The other night it told me that I had arrived at my destination just before I had to turn into the street I was going to. Problem was, it did not tell me to turn right or left. I had to guess which way to turn and then I still had to look for house numbers (quite a pain specially at night).
2.There is still no fix/upgrade to the poor ergonomics.
3.The voice command feature remains a gimmick.

Conclusion
This navigation is finally a usable system. State-of-the-art it is NOT. I hope Toyota is listening and completely revamps this navigation package this year.
Old 03-22-05, 01:55 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Update...

I had my first 5K service on my 04 GX performed today. I asked them to look at this issue as well as the DVD/FM volume line level problems (we all have it and there is no fix). I was told that the NAVI upgrade is only applicable to Texas and Arkansas and only on version 3.01. I have version 4.01 so was not able to get the upgrade. I would be interested in hearing if others with version 4.1 got the upgrade.

FYI - My VIN did not fall within the range. Mine starts JTJBT... those effected are JTJ"H" or "G"...

Last edited by bunka; 03-22-05 at 02:09 PM.