LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Toyota Limited Service Campaign for '04 Navigations systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 02:12 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Limited Service Campaign for '04 & '05 Navigations systems

Got this in the mail today. It may address some of the complaints previously discussed. I called the dealer and they're ordering the update. Since the LX has the same navigation system, I thought I would post it here.

I tried attaching a scan of the letter, but it's too big. Instead I scanned it into Word and pasted it here.

TOYOTA
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. 19001 South Western Avenue
Po. Box 2991
Torrance, CA 90509-2991

2004 THROUGH EARLY 2005 MODEL YEAR TOYOTA NAVIGATION SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE
Re: JTEHT05JXXXXXXXXX 2004 Landcruiser Dear Toyota Owner:
Thank you very much for your patronage of Toyota. We are dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continuing efforts to provide superior customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Limited Service Campaign Program, which includes your vehicle.

As part of our constant efforts to provide you with the best in customer satisfaction and vehicle quality, Toyota would like to inform you of a product enhancement that is currently available for your Toyota vehicle.

What is the condition?
In recent months, Toyota has received reports of localized anomalies in the map details of your vehicle's Navigation System. Although by nature map databases may contain a certain degree of inaccuracy, a noticeable decline in the precision of the map data was observed when directly compared to 2003 model year Toyota Navigation systems. In addition, these anomalies tended to be concentrated in particular areas.

We sincerely regret and apologize for any problems this condition may have caused you.
To minimize these occurrences and any further inconvenience to you, Toyota has developed revised software for the Navigation System and would like to offer you a one time seftware update at no-cost for a limited period*. This program-- . will be offered until December 31,2005.
*Other map database updates may be available for purchase after this expiration date at the normal fee.

What should you do?
Please contact any authorized Toyota dealer to schedule an appointment to have the Navigation System software updated before December 31, 2005.
Your dealer will require the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) provided at the top of this letter to order your Navigation System software DVD. Please provide your VIN to the dealer when scheduling your appointment. It will take approximately 3 - 5 business days for the DVD to arrive at the dealership.

The labor time for this update will take approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer's work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time.

Please present this notice to the dealer when you bring the vehicle in for your service appointment.

If you no longer own the vehicle, please indicate so on the enclosed postage-paid form, providing us with the name and address of the new owner if possible.

What if you have other questions?

Please refer to your 2004 or 2005 Toyota Navigation System Owner's Manual, contact any Toyota dealer or call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 9:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday 7:00am through 3:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.

We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products, and we sincerely regret any inconveniences this condition may have caused you.

Thank you for driving a Toyota.
Sincerely,
TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, U.S.A., INC.

Last edited by Gohawks63; 12-23-04 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-26-04, 06:58 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got that too. I'm going to wait until fall of 2005 to see if they have any new updates with new POIs and data points. I'd hate to get the freeby now and then have them update it in July or something like that!!
Old 12-28-04, 02:08 PM
Traturn
Driver

Afaik there is only going to be one existing Nav update disk for this recall, IE if you wait ti'll December 30 2005 to have it done, you'll get the same disk if you have it installed Dec 30 2004.

I doubt that they'll have a new disk available for the Gen4 systems that this recall pays for.

All disks are ordered on a VIN# basis, IE one disk per car.

Possible you can snag an updated disk tho, just my .02 on the subject!@
Old 01-01-05, 09:49 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I thought they were going to update approx. every 2 years. They introduced the Gen 4 NAV system in 2003 for 2004 models, so wouldn't 2005 be a possibility for the next update?? I just got my LX in Oct. and am having none of the problems the letter said, so I'll still wait and hope for an update.
Old 01-02-05, 08:10 PM
nicoff
Rookie

No wonder. In my experience, between addresses that it does not find in its database or wrong directions, the system is only good about 50% of the time. That is unaceptable.

The Toyota's navi system in my 2004 LC let me down AGAIN this past weekend. While driving in DC and being guided to my hotel, the system announced that I had arrived at my destination right in the middle of a neighboorhood. The reality was that I still was half a mile away from my destination and still had several more turns to make. What saved me was that (having been let down by Toyota's navi system before), I carried my Garmin 2620 portable GPS with me and was using them both at the same time. The Garmin took me to my destination without a problem while the Toyota system could do nothing. Imagine having to carry a backup system because your $2,000+ option cannot be trusted!

I wish Toyota would not limit the improvements to an updated map. The system needs LOTS of work. For example, more POI, better GUI, ability to change address without stopping (I had to stop on the interstate so that my wife could enter a new address, now THAT is more dangerous in my book than allowing a passenger to enter the new address while moving), showing actual arrival time (like 4:05 pm instead of 2 hr. 22 min), and much more.

Toyota's navi system is LOUSY. Perhaps those who have been defending it may now be willing to recognize it.
Old 01-03-05, 09:58 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nicoff
No wonder. In my experience, between addresses that it does not find in its database or wrong directions, the system is only good about 50% of the time. That is unaceptable.

The Toyota's navi system in my 2004 LC let me down AGAIN this past weekend. While driving in DC and being guided to my hotel, the system announced that I had arrived at my destination right in the middle of a neighboorhood. The reality was that I still was half a mile away from my destination and still had several more turns to make. What saved me was that (having been let down by Toyota's navi system before), I carried my Garmin 2620 portable GPS with me and was using them both at the same time. The Garmin took me to my destination without a problem while the Toyota system could do nothing. Imagine having to carry a backup system because your $2,000+ option cannot be trusted!

I wish Toyota would not limit the improvements to an updated map. The system needs LOTS of work. For example, more POI, better GUI, ability to change address without stopping (I had to stop on the interstate so that my wife could enter a new address, now THAT is more dangerous in my book than allowing a passenger to enter the new address while moving), showing actual arrival time (like 4:05 pm instead of 2 hr. 22 min), and much more.

Toyota's navi system is LOUSY. Perhaps those who have been defending it may now be willing to recognize it.
I believe the situation you mentioned where it told you you arrived, but you in fact had not, is what will be addressed in the campaign.

As for your last request, since I was one of those who partly defended the system in the other thread, I assume ou mean me.

I agree, I HATE having to stop to input an address, but that is less a flaw as a consious decision by Toyota to protect themselves from litigation. WHile it may be extreme since other systems do not have this restriction, I guarantee you that more will once the first lawsuit comes along.... and it will. I blame the trial lawyers for that one.

The actual ETA doesn't bug me so much. I can figure it out if it tells be I'll be there in an hour. MY Acura does the same. Would it be nice? Yeah I guess, but I also like it the way it is. To each is own I guess.

This past week, I traveled to South Bend Indiana, and Peoria, IL for hockey tournaments in which my kids participated. The system got me there each time. A couple of times it advised me that it could not give me
"turn by turn" directions, but it did display the address on the map and I was still able to get where I needed to be. It may have it's flaws but it worked for me.
Old 01-03-05, 10:13 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have the NAV screen swivel from center facing position to the right. When it was in the right, or passenger viewing position, it would allow for adjustments on the fly. When the system was in the center, it locks like it does now. That would allow our wives to make adjustments in transit and not be on the side of an interstate with semi trucks blasting by at 80 mph!!!! It also allows Toyota to limit its liability.
Old 01-03-05, 10:59 AM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doc C
I've always thought it would be a good idea to have the NAV screen swivel from center facing position to the right. When it was in the right, or passenger viewing position, it would allow for adjustments on the fly. When the system was in the center, it locks like it does now. That would allow our wives to make adjustments in transit and not be on the side of an interstate with semi trucks blasting by at 80 mph!!!! It also allows Toyota to limit its liability.
Lots of vehicles on the interstate are rear-ended while parked/idling on the shoulder. It is scary to see a flotilla of 18 wheelers pass you by just a couple of feet way from you. Toyota can actually limit its liability (giving the severity of rer-ended accidents) by correcting, I mean, adjusting this "feature".
I am off to the dealer now!
Old 01-03-05, 02:16 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Dealer has now ordered an updated DVD for me. He says to expect it in a couple of days.
My version of the DVD is 3.1.

Gohawks63, thanks for sharing this info with all of us.
Old 01-05-05, 04:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 516 Likes on 386 Posts

Yep, got my letter last week. Only problem I can notice compared to my 2002 LX470 is that the NAV systems tells me that I have arrived at my destination well before I have got there. Other than that all is well.

I will be doing my update on my 2004 LX470 at my 20K service, in about 3000 miles.

Now if they had only built in a satilite radio!?!
Old 01-05-05, 09:03 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Man, that sucks you missed the XM radio built in. I guess it was the end models of the 2004 year that had it built in. Good luck with the DVD update. Please post and let us know how it works. Thanks.
Old 01-11-05, 02:30 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doc C
Man, that sucks you missed the XM radio built in. I guess it was the end models of the 2004 year that had it built in. Good luck with the DVD update. Please post and let us know how it works. Thanks.
Going in on 1/13 to get an oil change and to get the update. Will post back with observations.
Old 01-14-05, 11:29 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

My wife took it in.

Still early, but she mentioned that a few addresses that we couldn't find earlier are in there now.

More to come.
Old 01-15-05, 07:51 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

I've been testing out the voice commands, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems to be doing much better at recognizing the proper instructions the first time.
Old 01-17-05, 07:29 AM
nicoff
Rookie

I just had the upgrade done. Here are my first impressions:

1. Search and Directions seem to be a little bit faster.
2. It appears that there are now a lot more icons to choose when assigning attributes to an address/location, BUT...
3. System still tells me that I have arrived at my destination before I actually get there. This time it is maybe one and one-half blocks before instead of 3-4 blocks previuosly.

I will continue testing. Maybe the new software has more addresses than before and perhaps I might be able to depend on it rather than my having to carry a second GPS (yes, my experience with Toyota's navi system has been THAT bad). Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by nicoff; 01-17-05 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Limited Service Campaign for '04 Navigations systems