LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Getting '05 LX470 soon... should I get factory DVD installed or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05 | 11:51 AM
semandell
Driver School Candidate

Default Getting '05 LX470 soon... should I get factory DVD installed or aftermarket?

Trying to decide if I should have the factory DVD installed at port, or have an aftermarket system put in? A friend of mine runs a stereo shop so I should be able to get a decent deal through him, and would probably get the dual screens in the headrests as opposed to the flipdown unit. From what I understand the factory system isnt integrated into the dash (for controls I mean, not display) so factory or aftermarket doesnt make that much difference.

FYI I am getting a Black '05 (prob with beige interior) with the Night Vision (or whatever its called) System along with probably all the other options.

My dad has a '99 and I just sold our 2003 Porsche Cayenne Turbo to "upgrade" to the LX. I've had a "reverse midlife crisis" and just sold all my fast cars (Porsche GT3, Cayenne Turbo) to get slower cars (LX470, Nissan Titan). I'm actually quite happy with the moves.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 01-07-05 | 08:22 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Semandell wrote,
"From what I understand the factory system isnt integrated into the dash (for controls I mean, not display) so factory or aftermarket doesnt make that much difference."

DVD is not integrated so go for it. I do not think that there is that much difference other than perhaps $1k in your pocket. I have an aftermarket DVD system and it seems to work just fine: cordless headphones for DVDs and able to watch TV independent from people in the front. Kids just love it.
Old 01-07-05 | 08:33 PM
semandell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nicoff

DVD is not integrated so go for it. I do not think that there is that much difference other than perhaps $1k in your pocket.
Thanks. We have DVD in our Nissan Titan now and of course will never live without it again!

Scott
Old 01-07-05 | 08:33 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

I'm betting that the system is the same setup as what I have in my Land Cruiser. Here are my thoughts.

I hate where the actual DVD player resides with the stock system. It is installed on the passenger side panel, just behind the second row seats. Right in front of the compartment that is supposed to hold the safety reflector or toolbox, or whatever. When the third row seats are folded against the side, they block access to the DVD drive. In order to load/unload DVDs, you need to either reach back from the scond row seat or from the back after you flip down the passenger side third row seat. If you're on a trip, you actually have to pull over and stop to change discs. It's less of an issue if you are going to remove the third row seats.

As for the performance of the player. After a year we have had no problems, but the FM modulator sucks. Regardless of what station we set it too, we are always getting static. I find this odd since we have a Sirius setup with an FM modulator as well, and the sound is crystal clear. I'm guessing that the Kenwood Sirius receiver and FM modulator we have actually amplifies the signal to prevent bleeding from other stations. Whatever it may be, the sound quality when listening to movies through the stereo is disappointing. Fortunately the system is rarely used this way. The kids use the infrared wireless headphones and those work very well. The video quality is very good.

The only other place I can think of installing the DVD player where it is accessible is in the glove box since the navigation system DVD-ROM drive is under the front passenger seat. I have seen some units (i.e. Ford) that are all one piece. In other words the DVD player is located in the base that is mounted on the headliner. I guess you have to see what's available.

THe only benefit I can see in getting the factory unit is that it's covered along with the rest of the warranty as opposed to whatever warranty your installer and aftermarket system provide.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-05 | 08:43 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
I'm betting that the system is the same setup as what I have in my Land Cruiser. Here are my thoughts.

I hate where the actual DVD player resides with the stock system. It is installed on the passenger side panel, just behind the second row seats. Right in front of the compartment that is supposed to hold the safety reflector or toolbox, or whatever. When the third row seats are folded against the side, they block access to the DVD drive. In order to load/unload DVDs, you need to either reach back from the scond row seat or from the back after you flip down the passenger side third row seat. If you're on a trip, you actually have to pull over and stop to change discs. It's less of an issue if you are going to remove the third row seats.

As for the performance of the player. After a year we have had no problems, but the FM modulator sucks. Regardless of what station we set it too, we are always getting static. I find this odd since we have a Sirius setup with an FM modulator as well, and the sound is crystal clear. I'm guessing that the Kenwood Sirius receiver and FM modulator we have actually amplifies the signal to prevent bleeding from other stations. Whatever it may be, the sound quality when listening to movies through the stereo is disappointing. Fortunately the system is rarely used this way. The kids use the infrared wireless headphones and those work very well. The video quality is very good.

The only other place I can think of installing the DVD player where it is accessible is in the glove box since the navigation system DVD-ROM drive is under the front passenger seat. I have seen some units (i.e. Ford) that are all one piece. In other words the DVD player is located in the base that is mounted on the headliner. I guess you have to see what's available.

THe only benefit I can see in getting the factory unit is that it's covered along with the rest of the warranty as opposed to whatever warranty your installer and aftermarket system provide.

Hope that helps.
My aftermarket DVD system is installed in the center console next to the 6 disc Cd player. I can change movies on the go.
Believe it or not my kids have never listened to FM so they cannot tell me about the sound. They love the sound of DVDs and TV through the headphones.
Old 01-07-05 | 08:51 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nicoff
My aftermarket DVD system is installed in the center console next to the 6 disc Cd player. I can change movies on the go.
Believe it or not my kids have never listened to FM so they cannot tell me about the sound. They love the sound of DVDs and TV through the headphones.
I wish I would have asked this question when I bought mine becuase I probably would have done what you did. As for listening through FM. We only have two headphones so they only time we play it through FM is when we have additional passengers and not enough headphones to go around. I guess I could invest in getting a couple more. They're only $45 through the Toyota dealer.
Old 01-07-05 | 09:49 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Aftermarket DVD all the way! I have the Nakamichi system in my LX470 and the new DVD ent. can be integrated with the stock speakers(use a known and reputable installer-w/warranty on installation). Headrest units can be had for a great price now vs. a couple of years ago.

As for slower car choices, well, I have a 2004 Titan SE CC also and love it's power/utility. It may not catch a Porsche, but will definitely beat all in it's class!