LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Off-roading in your LX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 05:20 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-roading in your LX?

Anyone do any off-roading in their LX? Any suggestions to get started?
Old 01-26-05, 06:14 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

i would not even try doing that with the stock setup. the running boards and all can easily be scratched. true offroading can only be acheived with the proper setup.
Old 01-26-05, 11:26 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily sand dune in the LX, I have seen many LX's when driving on sand dunes (I sometimes borrow my old man's 03 Land Cruiser). Remember to let down the air pressure of your tires if you are going to sand dune though (otherwise it will have only a fraction on the traction necessary to go up and down the hills).

As was said before more serious off-roading (like going through rocky trails etc) will require you to remove the sideboards - otherwise they are going to get all bent up.

LX's are based on the Land Cruiser and have the low gear setting. In light of that they are just as capable at off-roading as a Land Cruiser - which means pretty damn capable.
Old 01-27-05, 08:35 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

You can definitely 4-wheel your LX 470.
Talk to the guys at Slee Offroad if you want information on what modifications are required. They're a great bunch of guys -- I get most of my off-road equipment from them. Their website is www.sleeoffroad.com.

They had a LX 470 that they built up for serious off-road trips. They've since sold that rig, but recently bought another one and are building that one up. For pics of the first one, take a look here: Slee's 470.

They have a pretty good newbie guide as well. Look for the 100 series newbie guide -- I think there's a link to it on their home page.

As for those concerned with damaging running boards -- I would leave them on in the hopes that they might provide some slight protection of the rocker panels. You will scrape and bend the boards, but if that's all you have...I'd leave them on. For serious protection, you'd want to get a set of sliders -- but if you take a look at the stuff that Slee sells, you'll see that.
Old 01-27-05, 04:14 PM
ozlx470
Rookie

In stock standard set up the LX470 is pretty darn good offroad. I took my 2001 MY and take my current 2004MY Off Road all the time. Mud, sand and dirt/rocky.

Standard tyres (as fitted in Australia) as well.

If you want to go Rock Hopping then you do need to put sliders on in place of the side steps that are just too fragile to cope. A rear bar to take the bashing from dropping of rock edges. Fitting a bull bar on the front will give you increased approach angle. Simplest modification here would be to put on larger wheel/tyre combination with rock hopping tyres.

The biggest challenge to Off Roading is not the vehicle, but the skill of the Driver. If you do not know how to drive Off Road, take a course.
Old 01-27-05, 07:44 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ozlx470
Standard tyres (as fitted in Australia) as well.
Hope you enjoyed Australia Day! It's good to see a fellow Australian on the forum
Old 01-28-05, 05:51 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all for the thoughts... don't intend to get crazy and start climbing up mountains or fording rivers, just want to have a little fun, so will look for some low-key off-road possibilities in the SoCal area.
Old 01-28-05, 09:43 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Regardless of what you choose to do, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how well it performs.

You might consider participating on the www.ih8mud.com forum as well. The 100 series forum is the one for 470s. There are several members on that forum in the So Cal area. Maybe you all could get together for a short off-road trip. Not everyone there is a hard-core 4x4 type.
Old 01-28-05, 12:56 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

I like taking mine off roading as much as I can, where ever I can, and when the wife allows me.

I have damaged my running board...over $1100 to replace that.

It is very capable....better than my sequoia that I used to have.

Not easy to get this thing stuck...like mud or snow....but tires make a big difference.
Old 01-28-05, 08:19 PM
flyfishman
Driver

Pemarsh - what year is your LX/LC. I currently own a Sequoia and am looking into getting a LC. Just too big and cumbersome for my needs and really like the feel of the 100. My only concern with the new 100s is the standard 18" wheel and lack of tire options and feel it may compromise off-road traction. Does your 100 have 18s?
Old 01-28-05, 08:19 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dougjohn
You might consider participating on the www.ih8mud.com forum as well. The 100 series forum is the one for 470s. There are several members on that forum in the So Cal area. Maybe you all could get together for a short off-road trip. Not everyone there is a hard-core 4x4 type.
I've been lurking there for a while and getting a lot of information, but most do seem a little hard core... thanks.
Old 01-28-05, 08:21 PM
flyfishman
Driver

Pemarsh - oops double post - see above.
Old 01-29-05, 03:44 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

There are some hard-core guys there, but most have stock vehicles. The 100 series list is a bit more "civilized" than the 80 series list (and the chat section is pretty much a free-for-all).

The moderator of the 100 series list is a pretty good guy with a stock 100 series LC - - he might be up for some easy runs.

cheers.
Old 01-30-05, 03:30 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

I have the 04 LX 470.

I really wanted to get new tires, but as you found out, the options are very very limited.

I have never been stuck yet....sort of surprising when you consider i have the stock dunlops
Old 01-31-05, 03:42 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

you should be able to find some tires in that size by Nitto.
other size wheels should fit -- the 17" should be fine. I'm not sure about the 16" wheels.

Quick Reply: Off-roading in your LX?