LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Rear DVD in LC/LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 08:52 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear DVD in LC/LX

For those of you that have a factory (port-installed) rear DVD entertainment system, what is the quality like? Can you play through the speakers or is it headphone only. If you can opt to play through the existing speakers, what is the quality like? I assume picture quality is not an issue, but please advise otherwise. Just curious if I should opt for this option or get an aftermarket later down the road. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-29-05, 10:55 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

In my 2005 LX you can play through the wireless headphones, or have the sound come over the entire audio system. The headphones are great. I've not heard it through the sound system yet.
Old 01-29-05, 04:46 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146132

To reiterate what I said in there. Accessability is not the best. Picture quality is very good. Sound through the headphones is impressive, sound through the speakers (FM modulator) sucks.
Old 01-29-05, 06:01 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flyfishman
For those of you that have a factory (port-installed) rear DVD entertainment system, what is the quality like? Can you play through the speakers or is it headphone only. If you can opt to play through the existing speakers, what is the quality like? I assume picture quality is not an issue, but please advise otherwise. Just curious if I should opt for this option or get an aftermarket later down the road. Thanks for any input.
The LX comes with a Visteon system...hahahha my company and I had a bid on the port install for the LX but got beat out by Visteon.....

The quality of their LCDs are probably one of the best in 12volt.

Gohawks63 comment on the FM Mod is very true because of FCC regulations on FM Mods. The fact that Lexus (as well as any other OEM) offers this type of system, they must meet ALL FCC standards. But if you want to get a better FM Mod, you can buy some out there for around $25-40 that just ROCK!
Old 02-02-05, 10:17 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flyfishman
Click here for my pictures of headrest monitors

I opted for an aftermarket and got my GX without the stock RSES. I used Vizualogic. The headphones are IR which work good and the FM Mod is "OK" for sometimes but I am going to get the vais-tech(see sig also) setup where it not only plays the audio through the system at pure DVD quality, but it shows the video on the Nav screen and adds Sirius Satellite radio controlled by the nav-system/stock steering wheel controls.

Overall the dual headrest monitors is so much better than the stock system for "craning" your neck to see the system in my opinion. Looking straight at a headrest is soooooo much more comfortable/natural than staring at the ceiling opposite you (after 30 mins in a friends car with the stock system I had a neck-ache). Anyway, not just that, but you get to watch the video in the front also with CD/DVD quality (relatively like the stock setup) but you also get to add Sirius or and iPod and control it using the Nav system head unit as well as seeing the song, channel, and artist. You can also add some other Aux if you like. I can't wait until the Sirius one comes to market, but if you don't mind and want XM that version is already available.

FYI: Switching between the extra functions is through the Disc button on the Nav the pattern goes from stock CD to AUX input (from the headrest monitors) back to CD then to Sirius and back to CD

CD--> AUX --> CD --> Sirius -->CD --> AUX -->et cetera

Good luck!

see my sig for my website with tons of huge pics
Old 02-03-05, 09:19 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

yaro1,
where did you have the headrests installed with the monitors ? is it a diy job ? more over what is the associated cost for the headrests to be fitted with the monitors ?
thnx.
Old 02-03-05, 04:02 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexs400
yaro1,
where did you have the headrests installed with the monitors ? is it a diy job ? more over what is the associated cost for the headrests to be fitted with the monitors ?
thnx.
I had some shop near me do the work. Actually rather than fit the headrests, this company called Vizualogic creates the headrests from stock pieces in their factory with the monitors. They send the headrests in a set with all of the mounting hardware. THe price is around 2000 and like 2-300 for installation. Great people/experience. Looking forward to more mods like that (satellite/others). I live in the car so much its like home!
Old 02-03-05, 05:37 PM
semandell
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm installing Audiovox headrest monitors next week

Having a friend who runs a shop do it -- the newer Audiovox headrest units have the players right in the headrests -- very convenient. Each headrest has its own player, so you can play different movies on each screen, or they can mirror each other. Total installed cost will be under $2,000.