LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Interesting info....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 07:56 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting info....

I was getting the oil changed on my Land Cruiser ('04) today. It's nearing 28K miles and I also wanted to make sure I got it done before I take an up coming road trip.

I'll be towing a 4000 lb boat 600 miles to the Ozarks.

Anyway, the kid in the service department tells me that next time around I'll be due for the 30K mile maintenance. He rattles off all the stuff for a price of $500, and gives me a detailed sheet.

Anyway, after my car is finished, an older service mgr comes up to me and tells me the car is done. Tells me that there's still 50% left on my brakes, and the tires are almost like new.

He then tells me that witht he driving I'll be doing, they would normally recommend a transmission oil change considering the mileage, but the Land Cruiser has a special (WS?) oil that is "lifetime" so it never needs replacing. I then proceeded to look on the sheet and sure enough, I saw the trans oil change listed for a cost of $80.

So now I'm wondering how many times that isn't caught and how much they're making by doing unnecessary maintenance. Although I'm leary of "never" having to change the oil in the tranny.

A side note, while I was waiting, I happened to look at the new LC that came out. Like the LX, it now has the new 275hp engine, but they also added the automatic height control and load leveling like the LX and the same body colored spoiler that is avaialble on the LX.

THe only differentiation I see now between the LC and the LX is the warranty, memory seats and the night vision option. I'm wondering why Toyota just further narrowed the gap between the two.
Old 06-24-05, 03:53 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, with the lack of discount on TLC (due to rarity), the TLC costs only a few thousand less than a LX470...at least when i was shopping for it last year.

Personally, i would still get LX over TLC because of the memory seats (BIG fan ot it)! Don't forget about the better interior trim and Mark Levinson audio.
Old 06-24-05, 04:29 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Well, with the lack of discount on TLC (due to rarity), the TLC costs only a few thousand less than a LX470...at least when i was shopping for it last year.

Personally, i would still get LX over TLC because of the memory seats (BIG fan ot it)! Don't forget about the better interior trim and Mark Levinson audio.
What do you consider a discount? I purchased mine in December of '03. Got the loaded version (they only come that way), along with the rear seat DVD player, and factory tow package.

MSRP was $61K, and I paid $57K OTD. I'm not sure I could get an LX anywhere near that in the North Chicago suburbs. I keep hearing about rarity over both of these vehicles, but I see a ton around here.

I agree about the memory seats, I wish I had them.
Old 06-24-05, 05:05 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Back in December of 2003, i was offered $61K for LX470 (2003 model)...fully loaded with NightVision. This was only after 15 min of discussion. I am sure that i could have gotten at least $1K more off that price. So, the price difference is not very much at all...probably less than $5K, which i would gladly pay for the extra year of warranty, Lexus kiss-your-butt service, and other tiny things. I was never impress with Toyota's service (i had a 4runner once).

BTW, i know that the above deal is hard to find, but it was the end of year thing where the dealer wanted to get rid of their '03 inventory...at the end of 2003, it was really hard to find a TLC with that much discount off in Texas. LX was easier to find and also negotiate.

Maybe it's regional. Texas Toyota dealers don't have many TLCs and all of them have added useless crap that raises the price. BTW, they come to the dealerships (from the port) with these crap...so you don't really have a choice. And if you "special" order one, then you're paying MSRP.

Since you're up north, your Toyota dealers probably get a greater share of TLCs than Texas where you hardly ever see snow. You guys get all the 4wd 4runners...we get the 2wd 4runners. I am sure that the demand for 4wd vehicle is less in Texas.

With Lexus, they don't play that game of adding a lot of crap to inflate the price.

Last edited by tigmd99; 06-24-05 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 05:29 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Back in December of 2003, i was offered $61K for LX470 (2003 model)...fully loaded with NightVision. This was only after 15 min of discussion. I am sure that i could have gotten at least $1K more off that price. So, the price difference is not very much at all...probably less than $5K, which i would gladly pay for the extra year of warranty, Lexus kiss-your-butt service, and other tiny things. I was never impress with Toyota's service (i had a 4runner once).

BTW, i know that the above deal is hard to find, but it was the end of year thing where the dealer wanted to get rid of their '03 inventory...at the end of 2003, it was really hard to find a TLC with that much discount off in Texas. LX was easier to find and also negotiate.

Maybe it's regional. Texas Toyota dealers don't have many TLCs and all of them have added useless crap that raises the price. BTW, they come to the dealerships (from the port) with these crap...so you don't really have a choice. And if you "special" order one, then you're paying MSRP.

Since you're up north, your Toyota dealers probably get a greater share of TLCs than Texas where you hardly ever see snow. You guys get all the 4wd 4runners...we get the 2wd 4runners. I am sure that the demand for 4wd vehicle is less in Texas.

With Lexus, they don't play that game of adding a lot of crap to inflate the price.
$61K for an LX would of intrigued me as well. I did end up picking up an extended warranty that takes me to 100K miles. I probably could have gotten a better deal on a leftover '03, but I liked the back-up camera that came with the '04 version, it comes in handy when lining up the hitch of the trailer. Ours wasn't even in stock but was on it's way from Seattle (Port).

Interesting thing about the interior. My wife actually likes the brushed metallic/chrome interior of the LC over the LX. I on the other hand like the wood trimmed interiors, but you gotta make the boss happy.