LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX Suspension comparison to KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 04:29 PM
ses888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX Suspension comparison to KDSS

Hello everyone,

I'm currently interested in getting either the LX or GX so that I could have one vehicle that is very comfortable / safe / luxurious on the road while still retaining top notch off-road capability (a true SUV!).

I've been researching the stats as much as possible, but I still have a few questions regarding the suspension system on the LX. In particular, what advantages does it offer in comparison to the GX with the KDSS suspension?

When comparing the specifications on the Lexus site, the GX states:

Front suspension: Independent, double-wishbone with coil springs and stabilizer bar
Rear suspension: Four-link with air-spring type with rigid axle, control arms and stabilizer bar

whereas the LX states:

Front suspension: Independent, double-wishbone with high-mount upper and lower arms, torsion bars, electronically controlled shock absorbers with gas-pressurized control actuator, stabilizer bar
Rear suspension: Live axle, four trailing lines, lateral rod, coil springs, electronically controlled shock absorbers with gas-pressurized control actuator, stabilizer bar

So, I'm very curious to hear about how the extra features in the LX suspension translate into increased off-road performance (and on-road of course).

With regards specifically to the KDSS, does the LX have comparable wheel articulation? Also, is the suspension on the LX 'active' and helpful in minimizing body roll in corners like the GX KDSS?

Another difference is in relation to the Center Differential. The GX states:

Full-time four-wheel drive with TORSEN® [4] Limited-Slip Center Differential

whereas the LX states:

Full-time four-wheel drive with locking center differential

Is the TORSEN Limited-Slip Differential less capable than the LX center differential?

One last question: Does the LX have anything like the Hill-Start Assist or Downhill Assist Control?

I'm not planning on doing any hard-core off-roading (ie. rock climbing, Rubicon, etc) - I just like getting out to explore various trails around California and would like to do so in a vehicle that is luxurious on the road as well. Also, the LC / LX of course has a great heritage and I'm looking for the highest quality / reliable proven vehicle possible. I'm also a bit worried by the rumors that the LX will be watered down or even worse, switched to the Sequoia frame next year.

So, overall, I'd be very curious to learn more about the details that make the LX / LC the proven off-road vehicle that it is.

Thank you very much!

Scot
Old 07-04-05, 04:10 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Hello,

Please read my write up on the Lexus Event last year. I got the chance to drive both GX KDSS and standard suspension along with the LX and other SUVs.

Here is the link to my old post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126963

Regards,

Charleston
Old 07-08-05, 06:54 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Quick answers:

1. LX's suspension has comparable wheel articulation to GX with KDSS. According to FourWheeler magazine, LX's RTI score is slightly better than GX KDSS. (RTI = ramp travel index...a measure of front and rear suspension flexibility)

2. GX is probably a better handler on-road with KDSS than LX.

3. The torsion-sprung front suspnsion on LX provides better wheel travel than the coil-sprung unit on GX...thus, leading to better RTI score on the LX.

4. Rear axle differential is off-set to the passenger side on the LX, which helps with getting over a rock. GX is in the center.

5. As for the Torsen center differential, it is a more sophisticated unit than in the LX. Both center diffs (LX and GX) are GEAR-BASED...so both last a long time with little maintenance. Torsen center diff has the advantage ON-ROAD where it can shifts more power to the rear around corners to provide better cornering response. IMO, this is of very little use to most SUV (sane) drivers since SUVs are not meant for cornering prowess.

Off-road, both center differentials are the same...since you would be locking them most of the time.

6. The LX has front & rear electronic suspension...it can raise BOTH front and rear. The GX can only lift it's butt. The LX's ability to do both ends will help it improve approach, breakover, and departure angles. GX can only improve the departure angle (and to a little extent, the breakover). In fact, when you lift GX's butt, you DECREASE it's approach angle by 1 degree. When you're in LOW range in the LX, the LX actually lifts up even higher than what is stated in the brochure!! Very cool.

7. The GX (and 4runner) have a low front suspension unit due to government's regulation regarding truck-car crash compatibility. The LX was made before this regulation...so, it's ground clearance is much better. It's not GX's fault...blame the government.

8. The LX's underbody is also extremely clean...not much hangs low for rocks to grab at.

9. LX does NOT have HAC or DAC. GX does. HAC and DAC are really cool, but these things can be accomplish with your feet with more off-roading experience on the LX.

10. Both GX and LX are extremely reliable and durable. It looks like either one will be more than enough for your needs.

Hope this helps,
Thai.
Old 07-08-05, 08:26 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Quick answers:

1. LX's suspension has comparable wheel articulation to GX with KDSS. According to FourWheeler magazine, LX's RTI score is slightly better than GX KDSS. (RTI = ramp travel index...a measure of front and rear suspension flexibility)

2. GX is probably a better handler on-road with KDSS than LX.

3. The torsion-sprung front suspnsion on LX provides better wheel travel than the coil-sprung unit on GX...thus, leading to better RTI score on the LX.

4. Rear axle differential is off-set to the passenger side on the LX, which helps with getting over a rock. GX is in the center.

5. As for the Torsen center differential, it is a more sophisticated unit than in the LX. Both center diffs (LX and GX) are GEAR-BASED...so both last a long time with little maintenance. Torsen center diff has the advantage ON-ROAD where it can shifts more power to the rear around corners to provide better cornering response. IMO, this is of very little use to most SUV (sane) drivers since SUVs are not meant for cornering prowess.

Off-road, both center differentials are the same...since you would be locking them most of the time.

6. The LX has front & rear electronic suspension...it can raise BOTH front and rear. The GX can only lift it's butt. The LX's ability to do both ends will help it improve approach, breakover, and departure angles. GX can only improve the departure angle (and to a little extent, the breakover). In fact, when you lift GX's butt, you DECREASE it's approach angle by 1 degree. When you're in LOW range in the LX, the LX actually lifts up even higher than what is stated in the brochure!! Very cool.

7. The GX (and 4runner) have a low front suspension unit due to government's regulation regarding truck-car crash compatibility. The LX was made before this regulation...so, it's ground clearance is much better. It's not GX's fault...blame the government.

8. The LX's underbody is also extremely clean...not much hangs low for rocks to grab at.

9. LX does NOT have HAC or DAC. GX does. HAC and DAC are really cool, but these things can be accomplish with your feet with more off-roading experience on the LX.

10. Both GX and LX are extremely reliable and durable. It looks like either one will be more than enough for your needs.

Hope this helps,
Thai.
Great write-up.
Old 07-08-05, 01:34 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Click this link for a video of the KDSS in action. Enjoy Guys!

http://www.lexus.com/models/video_popup/kdss.html

Charleston