LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

I'm in hte market for an LX and looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 05:19 PM
hookem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in hte market for an LX and looking for advice!

So I want to buy (not lease) a '06 LX and thought I'd ask the advice of those who know best....

At the dealership today, ofcourse they only offered to come down $1000 off MSRP...a polite beginning....wasn't really in the mood to haggle...jsut wanted to test drive the new '06s.

I'm in no rush, can wait 6 months or more. I want a Silver or Blue with a gray interior...maybe a spoiler...but that's it...no other extras.

Because I am a pilot, I can fly to any major city whenever I want to pick it up at a dealer who gives me the best deal.

What do you all think is a really good deal for someone willing to wait and be patient and go whereever I have to to get what I want? I'm thinking since they are in short supply, when someone eventually gets one I'd like, the holdback would still apply....I'm thinking $2500 over BASE cost (invoice - 2% holdback + destination) is fair...anyone got any advice?

Anyone have good luck/service at a particular dealer they'd like to share?

Dealers are welcome to pm me. I am already pre-apporved for the loan and have a fico score over 800.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-06-05, 08:20 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Default Call Longo Lexus in Elmonst, Ca

Call this guy at Longo.

Tell him Uzy Malik referred you.

Marc Fata
Internet Sales Manager
LONGO LEXUS
a Penske Company
marc.fata@longolexus.com
IM: 9098026568@tmomail.net
MOBILE: (909) 802-6568
AIM: fatalama
Old 07-06-05, 12:21 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Give Elizabeth Hyun a call at Lexus of Glendale here in California. She is a manager there and I'm sure she can give you a great deal.
Old 07-06-05, 12:21 PM
vdo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's going to be hard getting a good deal on these now. Because of the limited supply, high demand, and the "newness" factor, dealers are having trouble keeping the new LX470s in stock; even at or a little below MSRP. If you're not in a hurry to get one, as you stated, I'd wait until year's end to buy. This is when Lexus will likely roll out year-end promotions, rebates, and incentives to clear inventory and get the annual sales numbers up. The "newness" factor will also have worn down a bit and you'll have more haggle room.

Being pre-approved for the loan is a great idea, but those pre-approval certificates usually have time limits for which to buy . Which is probably not an issue for you since you have great credit and can get the best rates at any time. Just don't discount Toyota Finance, because often times they will beat the best rates that outside banks and credit unions can offer. Make sure you compare.

About the long distance delivery, just save yourself the trouble and get vehicle from your local Lexus dealer. To me, it's not worth the trouble to save a couple bucks. Lexus is known to be pretty consistent on their pricing nation-wide. Plus, there are normally little perks if your car is serviced where you bought it, like free oil changes, having your sales and service records at one place, etc.

I've had pretty good luck with the sales and service team at Lexus of Austin even though they're the only dealer in town.

Good luck!
Hook 'em Horns!
Old 07-21-05, 12:43 AM
Josh83
Driver School Candidate

Have you looked at an 06 Land Cruiser? There really isn't any difference other than the warrenty, unless you have to have the ML audio.
Old 07-21-05, 07:27 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

www.motorwerkscars.com Contact this guy, he can get you a new Lexus at the lowest price in the country. Tell him what you want, he is very responsive. Sells a bunch of highline vehicles. Plus I workout with him at a local gym and he is a good guy. His name is Kip. Good luck, post a picture of your new ride when you get it.
Old 07-21-05, 05:26 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by Josh83
Have you looked at an 06 Land Cruiser? There really isn't any difference other than the warrenty, unless you have to have the ML audio.

Who would have guessed that the guy stating "There really isn't any difference" between the Land Cruiser and the LX drives two Land Cruisers??? It's like taking advice from a pharmaceutical company on the wonders of the drug they created and swear by! For what it's worth, I really have nothing against the Land Cruiser. That said, please stop telling me the only difference between the two vehicles is the warranty! My hunch is that if you truly believe that, you haven't been inside of a newer LX 470. Now, if you want to make the argument that the differences between the two vehicles don't warrant the much higher price on the LX, that's a different issue!

John from Boston
Old 07-21-05, 06:25 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by vdo
It's going to be hard getting a good deal on these now. Because of the limited supply, high demand, and the "newness" factor, dealers are having trouble keeping the new LX470s in stock; even at or a little below MSRP. If you're not in a hurry to get one, as you stated, I'd wait until year's end to buy. This is when Lexus will likely roll out year-end promotions, rebates, and incentives to clear inventory and get the annual sales numbers up. The "newness" factor will also have worn down a bit and you'll have more haggle room.

Being pre-approved for the loan is a great idea, but those pre-approval certificates usually have time limits for which to buy . Which is probably not an issue for you since you have great credit and can get the best rates at any time. Just don't discount Toyota Finance, because often times they will beat the best rates that outside banks and credit unions can offer. Make sure you compare.

About the long distance delivery, just save yourself the trouble and get vehicle from your local Lexus dealer. To me, it's not worth the trouble to save a couple bucks. Lexus is known to be pretty consistent on their pricing nation-wide. Plus, there are normally little perks if your car is serviced where you bought it, like free oil changes, having your sales and service records at one place, etc.

I've had pretty good luck with the sales and service team at Lexus of Austin even though they're the only dealer in town.

Good luck!
Hook 'em Horns!
If you live in a town where there is just 1 dealer, quite often that dealer is not very willing to give you the best deal. I would suggest that you get prices from the local dealer and the dealers in major cities near your area. In my experience, the dealers from the major cities where there is more competition will give you a better price. Then you have the option to ask your local dealer to match that price. It is up to you who you decide to go with. Under similar pricing I will prefer to go with the local dealer; if not, I'd go elsewhere. You can still service the truck locally. I do not know of any advantage to have the sales and service records in the same place.
Old 07-21-05, 07:29 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Who would have guessed that the guy stating "There really isn't any difference" between the Land Cruiser and the LX drives two Land Cruisers??? It's like taking advice from a pharmaceutical company on the wonders of the drug they created and swear by! For what it's worth, I really have nothing against the Land Cruiser. That said, please stop telling me the only difference between the two vehicles is the warranty! My hunch is that if you truly believe that, you haven't been inside of a newer LX 470. Now, if you want to make the argument that the differences between the two vehicles don't warrant the much higher price on the LX, that's a different issue!

John from Boston

I have been in both, and for '06, the gap has been narrowed significantly now that AHC is offered in the LC, and the body colored rear spoiler (a la LX).

Biggest differences are the warranty, wood trim, memory seats and a softer grade of leather.

I know, I know I own a LC as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the LX, but you can buy a Toyota extended warranty for $1,300 (for up to 100K miles) and the gap is even smaller.

Of course you don't get the Lexus service.
Old 08-16-05, 01:35 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Lightbulb Actually, I beg to differ....

.....The LX has a significantly smoother/plusher ride due to the fact that it has AIR SUSPENSION which can be set to 4 different modes ranging from "comfort" to "sport". Due to this aforementioned suspension being adjustable for "RIDE HEIGHT" as well, the LX can also be lowered for greater stability and more aerodynamic highway cruising and it can be raised several inches to provide better ground clearance and approach/departure/breakover angles, for extreme off-roading!!! . The Landcruiser just rides on steel springs. This is a very significant difference IMHO!!! ....Besides this, I think the LX is also a bit quieter due to more extensive sound deadening used.
Old 08-16-05, 06:55 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Land Cruiser has same option for '06. Hardly any differences in the two except one has 50+ years of history.
Old 08-16-05, 06:57 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

I've read where several owners have had problems with the Lexus suspension when they get around the 100K+ mile mark and its out of warranty and expensive to fix. Some of these new vehicles are getting so complex that high mileage after warranty costs can be tough. Example with the LX/LC at around the 90K mile mark you need a new timing belt and you should do the water pump at the same time. Then many owners have starter problems at this mileage which is an expensive fix. I think the LX/LC is a great dependable vehicle but you need to be aware of the possible costs when ownership lasts into the 90K+ range. Also now with the gas prices I think resale will go into the dumper.
Old 08-21-05, 11:58 AM
venom47
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flyfishman
Land Cruiser has same option for '06. Hardly any differences in the two except one has 50+ years of history.
I am not exactly sure how you can separate the heritage of TLC and the LX 470. Part of the 50+ years of experience is inherent in the LX. IMHO both are great cars it boils down to personal preference and how much cash you want to part with to achieve your preference.