LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Maintenance Issues/Costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 03:31 PM
ivorymuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Maintenance Issues/Costs

I am currently in the market for a 2005 LX470 which I had the pleasure of test driving today, very big difference from the Land Rover. However my main concerns are two things:

1. How often do you find that you have to take your car/truck into Lexus for repairs

2. What are the genearl costs on things such as breaks and any major repairs you may have done.

I truly appreciate your help!
Old 07-07-05, 06:01 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Perhaps I'm not the most qualified person to answer this thread, as I've only owned my 2004 LX since March of 2004 and only have put 16,000 miles on it during that time. Essentially, you have scheduled maintenance (oil change) every 5,000 miles. As I understand it, "major service" is every $15,000 miles. I recently had my 15,000 mile service, and it set me back $500. As a Mercedes owner for many years, I was actually somewhat surprised by this, as Mercedes includes all scheduled maintenance during the warranty period. I was disappointed that Lexus, with the price of their cars, doesn't include scheduled maintenance. That said, you will come out far ahead with Lexus over Mercedes, BMW, and every other luxury auto maker you want to name. As I've stated before on these boards, Lexus' reliability record cannot be ignored. Lexus is one of the only luxury auto makers who doesn't rank at the bottom of reliability lists in the auto industry. In fact, Lexus is usually first!

For the record, these comments are coming from a person who really doesn't love the appearance of most Lexus vehicles. In fact, I think most of the vehicles Lexus makes are ugly and very uninteresting to look at. I purchased the LX, because it was the only vehicle in Lexus' fleet that even remotely appealed to my personal taste. After driving my LX for nearly a year and a half, I can honestly say that I have no regrets. This is the absolute best SUV made on the planet, period!

John from Boston
Old 07-08-05, 12:23 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I've had my 2001 LX470 since it was new, purchased in November 2000 and have not had 1 problem with it... regular dealer service every ~5000 miles... been through several NY/NJ winters and now baking in the SoCal summer heat, taken many semi-long distance trips of several hundred miles at a time.

Without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever had.

<< insert sound of frantic knocking on wood here >>
Old 07-09-05, 12:18 AM
janusvette
Driver School Candidate

Buy a 2006 with the Vaiable Valve Timing - smooth and much needed HP.
Old 07-09-05, 06:03 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ...

Don't take your car to the stealership unless you absolutely have to.

Thats my personal expierence at least. Everytime I take my car to the dealer they rip me off and you can't figure out what they actually did or didn't do so things become neglected. Last time I took it to the local Lexus dealer they tried to tell me they changed my timing belt and showed me some old one that was messed up. I went on to tell them the LX450 has a timing chain, they just looked at me dumbfounded and try to get smart again by offering a free car wash or something....

Find someone you can trust with expierence and take it there.....
Old 07-09-05, 06:16 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Francis K
Don't take your car to the stealership unless you absolutely have to.

Thats my personal expierence at least. Everytime I take my car to the dealer they rip me off and you can't figure out what they actually did or didn't do so things become neglected. Last time I took it to the local Lexus dealer they tried to tell me they changed my timing belt and showed me some old one that was messed up. I went on to tell them the LX450 has a timing chain, they just looked at me dumbfounded and try to get smart again by offering a free car wash or something....

Find someone you can trust with expierence and take it there.....
That is stealing, you need to report them to the police and the BBB. I've had dealers make mistakes but never had one try and charge me for something they didn't do.
Old 07-09-05, 10:30 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

I have a 2000 LX 470 with that has almost 90,000 miles. I've been getting all of my 5,000 miles services done at the local toyota dealer, first because the nearest lexus dealership is 1 1/2 hours away and the price for the same service is 1/4 the price (oil change with the 21 point inspection $21.95 vs $120.00). I know some of you will say that I missed out on the so called free loaner car and car wash but take a look at what was paid at the toyota dealer for the same service and tell me if you really think that the loaner & car wash is "FREE". Yet, I did take it to lexus for the 60,000 mile service $794.00 w/tax and I'm scheduled to have the 90,000 miles service done this coming Friday at the lexus dealership for $1,400.00 w/tax.

When it comes to these 30,000 miles services the toyota dealership was actually higher by about $150.00 and they had no idea that the height adjustment fluid needed to be changed. (the Landcruiser don't have this feature so don't let them fill that tank with brake fluid!)

No problems at all with this vehicle even though we average traveling close to 25,000 miles per year. As a matter of fact we just made a 1,400 mile round trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago and it was smooth sailing at 80 mph on the interstate.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-11-05, 08:35 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ivorymuse
I am currently in the market for a 2005 LX470 which I had the pleasure of test driving today, very big difference from the Land Rover. However my main concerns are two things:

1. How often do you find that you have to take your car/truck into Lexus for repairs

2. What are the genearl costs on things such as breaks and any major repairs you may have done.

I truly appreciate your help!
every(approx) 25k miles u will be doing front and rear brakes
at the same time might be doing ft baring adjustment
otherwise every 30 change ur diff fluid and coolant and at 90 k replace ur timing belt
Old 07-12-05, 06:13 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by koolaidman
every(approx) 25k miles u will be doing front and rear brakes
at the same time might be doing ft baring adjustment
otherwise every 30 change ur diff fluid and coolant and at 90 k replace ur timing belt
Doesn't a new LX have the same 100K mile coolant as the GX470?
Old 07-12-05, 06:41 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PitBull
Doesn't a new LX have the same 100K mile coolant as the GX470?
04+ have the new coolant what we call the pink stuff other wise all other lexus should have the red stuff
Old 07-12-05, 07:15 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

04+ have the new coolant what we call the pink stuff other wise all other lexus should have the red stuff
Is it the coolant or the radiator? In other words can this coolant be used in the pre-04 models?
Old 07-12-05, 07:03 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ktiger
Is it the coolant or the radiator? In other words can this coolant be used in the pre-04 models?
pre 04 buy the red coolant. besides the pink stuff it 40 a bottle
Old 07-12-05, 08:02 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

WOW, Toyota really upgraded the fluids in the 2004 model (trans and cooling system)
Old 07-12-05, 08:11 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

But I like the sound of that 100k interval. It cost $150 to change coolant every 30k and maybe only $190 to change it every 100k. That sound like a good deal to me. You still didn't answer my question, can I use the pink stuff in a 2000 LX?
Old 07-12-05, 10:44 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ktiger
But I like the sound of that 100k interval. It cost $150 to change coolant every 30k and maybe only $190 to change it every 100k. That sound like a good deal to me. You still didn't answer my question, can I use the pink stuff in a 2000 LX?
u can...just make sure u drain the block and heater core

Quick Reply: Maintenance Issues/Costs