LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Aftermarket rear DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 07:38 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket rear DVD

I'm thinking of installing an overhead flip-down style aftermarket DVD screen into my 2001 LX470... has anyone else done this? Any installation issues or things to watch out for? What did you use for sound, FM Modulator? Or is there a better solution?
Old 07-31-05, 02:18 AM
janusvette
Driver School Candidate

We're getting the DVD installed by the dealer (in 1 week) in the headrests for $1,940 (listed at $2,700). We didn't like the idea of one screen and two kids, plus having the overhead unit take the place of the overhead dome lights. The DVD disk is placed in the headrest screen itself, not in a separate unit under the seat(s). The kids could also watch the same movie since the two units are "tied" together. Wireless headsets for that quiet roadtrip!.
Old 08-03-05, 07:27 PM
PhilipAtl
Driver School Candidate

I installed a Rosen overhead with a 10disc changer. Works great! Audio is played via the wireless headphones most of the time but we have an FM transmitter - which is, well, just ok. I would like to find a solution for a direct connection, but just haven't looked.
Old 08-10-05, 06:28 PM
tmorales
Driver School Candidate

I installed an overhead screen with wireless headphones and FM transmitter. The only issues are:
1. The view through the rearview mirror is obstructed
2. The screen takes the place of the dome lights. The screen has two small lights that turn on when the door is opened, but they turn off as soon as the door is closed without the gradual fading they used to have. They don't really illuminate the front seat area at all. In addition, the dome lights on the screen do not come on when you unlock the doors with the remote like they used to. They only come on once the door is actually opened.
Old 08-13-05, 07:04 AM
willy430
Driver School Candidate

Question

Thanks for the info here. I am also interested in a DVD system for my 2006 LX470. I have been thinking about the headrest setup, but I am worried about theft. Are they easy to remove when you park?

Old 09-08-05, 06:31 PM
AutoObsess
Driver School Candidate

No most of the good prefab headrest systems are not removable unless u want them uninstalled from your car.
Old 09-28-05, 09:33 AM
Lexus Guy
Driver School Candidate

I am having an Audiovox drop-down 10 inch DVD player installed aftermarket on a new 2006 LX on Friday.

My sales guy says the dealership doesn't order any LXs from the factory with Lexus-installed rear seat systems, primarily because the DVD player for the overhead system is located in the back of the vehicle behind the third row. Very inconvenient for mid-trip video changes by attention-challenged yutes.

The unit includes integrated domelights replacing those that are removed to make room for the unit.

I opted for the single screen over the headrest mounted units because we often have kids in the third row and I thought the bigger screen would serve them better.

I'll report back on Saturday on how it looks. Maybe even a couple of pics, if I remember to charge the camera.
Old 09-28-05, 10:49 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

My concern on the overhead is visibility on the RVM. Esp on long trips where you'd get the most use of the video, I don't want to drive blind or have to rely solely on the side mirrors to see what is going on.
Old 10-08-05, 07:20 AM
HAVOCK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
My concern on the overhead is visibility on the RVM. Esp on long trips where you'd get the most use of the video, I don't want to drive blind or have to rely solely on the side mirrors to see what is going on.
I have a 7" build in grey sunvisor monitor for the pass. but can be seen in the back mainly at night. I do install myself and would suggest the build in 7" headrest monitors. I carry Grey, Black, and Tan. If you don't have a DVD player but it in the armrest keep the factor radio stealth installs are the best to me. No one would no what you have unitl you turn in on at night. I each person has a montior.