LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

i need more power

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-05, 05:28 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
What's that saying, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear?
I thought it went "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ******".

Don't get me wrong, I think its a great car, I have a 2000 LX470. I also find the power to be deficient esp when I am towing about 5500# (trailer, two horses & all their tack) TRD makes a SC that adds about 50% peak horsepower and torque. I heard they pulled the one for the 4.7 L engine from the market about a year ago over some emission issues and none have been available as a result. Everyone is mumm as to whether it will be made available again or not.

Last edited by DetMich1; 08-27-05 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 10:45 AM
tabraha
Driver

How about 110HP and 110ft lb more AT THE WHEELS?
AVO Turbo System
He is bringing this to market shortly (as in some kits are already on the boat over )

If anyone needs more than 350ft lbs at the wheels they need a diesel
Old 09-07-05, 01:25 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tabraha
How about 110HP and 110ft lb more AT THE WHEELS?
AVO Turbo System
He is bringing this to market shortly (as in some kits are already on the boat over )

If anyone needs more than 350ft lbs at the wheels they need a diesel
Very impressive but I still like the idea of a supercharger better than the turbo. Less heat and maintenance problems. Simpler installation and tuning too. I'm not looking to race, I just want more power on the highway when I have to pull my trailer.
Old 09-07-05, 02:29 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Search for the part on Google

Originally Posted by pemarsh
Looked at that thread.

Its on back order---has been for a long time they say.

Also, it is not available from TRD anymore (per their note below).

Also, no pricing is available.

I would be very interested to know which dealer joiner said would do this.
The part number is PT901-17620-50 and it seems like you can order it from sunrise toyota....didnt really get into it too much though. good luck
Old 09-08-05, 10:51 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

http://www.sosperf.com/

SOS has a intercooled supercharger for the Tundra. I don't see why it couldn't be adapted to the Lexus. It is the same engine. It would probably be worth a call to them to see what they could do. There is some discussion on www.tundrasolutions.com of the SOS system and the person who helped develop the kit comments there from time to time as well. Might be a good place to start looking.
Old 09-09-05, 06:06 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by pemarsh
I am actually looking to get rid of my 04 lx470, just due to the fact that the power is just too lame. Looking for a substitute is proving to be difficult.

So, does anyone know if there is any way to increase the power of this thing??? Last I heard, there were not. Maybe something has changed????
Drop a V-16 in it or get a lighter vehicle.
Old 10-16-05, 10:38 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Well,

I made the plunge and purchased a TRD supercharger kit for our LX470. I have wanted one of these for a long time and the time and price was right. 2995 brand new.

We looked at new ones...we looked at larger RVs.....we decided to just keep our LX and trailer. They are both paid for and this opened up some spending on the LX.

I will keep everyone tuned in on the install...
Old 10-17-05, 07:04 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
Well,

I made the plunge and purchased a TRD supercharger kit for our LX470. I have wanted one of these for a long time and the time and price was right. 2995 brand new.

We looked at new ones...we looked at larger RVs.....we decided to just keep our LX and trailer. They are both paid for and this opened up some spending on the LX.

I will keep everyone tuned in on the install...
Where were you able to purchase one and especially at that price? From a Toyota dealer? Best I saw was about $3475 and though it was listed on their website, they had none available. Have these recently come back on the market? What about installation? Did you tackle it yourself or hire the dealer or independant mechanic? How do you like the power increase?
Old 10-18-05, 01:54 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DetMich1
Where were you able to purchase one and especially at that price? From a Toyota dealer? Best I saw was about $3475 and though it was listed on their website, they had none available. Have these recently come back on the market? What about installation? Did you tackle it yourself or hire the dealer or independant mechanic? How do you like the power increase?
Ebay is your friend.
I dont think Toyota will ever bring these back and thus my choice to go ahead before they are all gone. Toyota is making too much money on Corollas right now. I have owned nothing but Toyotas and Lexus for years....snif, snif.....last year I purchased a new STI and wow does that car run and tune! I dont know if there will ever be a new Toyota in the cards for me.
I will install the entire package.
Not installed yet...I will report the install in a few weeks.