LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Need advice from current LX owners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 03:18 PM
lexusLX99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice from current LX owners?

Hi I am new to this fourm but I want some advice from the people who own this vehicle. I have a opportunity to purchase a 1999 LX470 w/ entertainment package. However here is my question... The vehicle has 107,000 miles on it.. I have driven Toyotas all my life and never had any problems with any of them... This truck is in great shape but I am having difficulties deciding on if I should buy this or not... $19,600 is what the bottom line price is... The asking prices was $23,999... Should I consider it or run away? Please any advice is greatly appreciated....

Mark
Old 08-28-05, 03:48 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

That's a great price. Just make sure that the 90,000 miles service was done by a Lexus dealer and you should be ok. That check and change everything on that service if the owner let them. I have 86,000 miles on my wife's 2000 LX and just done the service. It cost me $1,500.00 and my warrenty cover another $600.00 in repairs. Ask for a copy of the service tech report and ask to see which services were actually performed.
Old 08-28-05, 08:18 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

If you're looking for worry free ownership then opt for a toyota and not a lexus.
a similar year land cruiser will give you less problems.
The climate control and auto ride height suspension are two major problem areas for the LX470's that the landcruiser doesnt have.
Reason I know, I owned one and then sold it after just six months because of these problems.
You'll get a lower mileage same year land cruiser for that price.
Good luck.
Old 08-30-05, 03:48 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

The LX470 suspension does have real advantages, vs. the LC:

Towing performance is improved by the auto-leveling function: Trailer tongue load pushes vehicle rear down, but auto-leveling restores correct height & level of vehicle.

Also, the firmness setting are useful for rough road surfaces (set to soft) and high-speed/windy conditions (set to firm).

True, the LX suspension will have more problems, statistically, over the life of the vehicle. But I've got 85k miles on my 99 LX470, and no significant suspension problems yet.
Old 08-30-05, 08:26 AM
wETcOASTER
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up there is good and bad wherever you go

Originally Posted by Lexs400
If you're looking for worry free ownership then opt for a toyota and not a lexus.
a similar year land cruiser will give you less problems.
The climate control and auto ride height suspension are two major problem areas for the LX470's that the landcruiser doesnt have.
Reason I know, I owned one and then sold it after just six months because of these problems.
You'll get a lower mileage same year land cruiser for that price.
Good luck.
I have two LX470's, a 1999 with 185,000 miles with perfect functioning AHC and a 2003 with 15,000 miles and also perfectly functioning AHC. I just bought the 2004 based on my experiences with my 1999,

The cost of LX470 ownership is higher than the LC but not because of repairs but because the
regular maintenance is higher. I know 2 others with LX470s and no problems with AHC so its a very reliable system. Other people might get a lemon but in general I think its a very reliable system provided it has been maintained properly so dont be scared away too much from AHC.
The extras the LX has makes it worthwhile to buy in the used car market. I love AHC personally.
Old 08-31-05, 12:11 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wETcOASTER
I have two LX470's, a 1999 with 185,000 miles with perfect functioning AHC and a 2003 with 15,000 miles and also perfectly functioning AHC. I just bought the 2004 based on my experiences with my 1999,

The cost of LX470 ownership is higher than the LC but not because of repairs but because the
regular maintenance is higher. I know 2 others with LX470s and no problems with AHC so its a very reliable system. Other people might get a lemon but in general I think its a very reliable system provided it has been maintained properly so dont be scared away too much from AHC.
The extras the LX has makes it worthwhile to buy in the used car market. I love AHC personally.
I also have a 2000 LX470 which I bought when it was about 1 1/2 yrs old and had 11,000 miles. Had it now for 3 years and put on about 90,000 trouble free miles. No problems with the AHC or any other system. I use it to tow a heavy horse trailer once or twice a month (5,500#) I wish it had more power available when towing heavy loads up hill at highway speeds, but other than that, it is a great vehicle. Large, comfortable, rides and handles like a car. My kids hate riding in friends Suburbans, Yukons, Navigators etc, They say the LX's ride is so superior the other vehicles are like being in a truck.
Old 08-31-05, 12:32 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Default 99 lx470

I own a 99 LX 470, and I'am about to turn over 90k miles on mine. I purchased mine at around 58k from a private owner. I have always been a "brand new" car purchaser in the past so I understand your concerns with mileage.

Three things I did before I went ahead with the deal was...ran a carfax check on the vin. Which, I paid for on the internet, and it gives you certain information about the car. Not sure if it was worth the money, cause all it really tells you is if it was ever titled or turned in for lemon law. Depending on the previous owner(s) of the car...you may be able to have your local lexus dealer do this for you. If all the regular scheduled maintenance was done at a certified Lexus dealer, this will all be on record. Just ask the seller for the vin. If he/she is hesitant to give it to you...you should have concerns. Have the dealer run the vin and they will be able to tell you a lot about the car. The dealer in Harrisburg PA (Rahal) (yes, I'm from PA too) gave me a print out of the service information about my car. The only thing missing was a few oil changes that were done at the jiffy lube type places. Any major stuff was there on record.

The second thing I did was contacted Lexus...The Lexus Customer Assistance Center

1-800-255-3987, prompt #5
Monday – Friday, 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., PT.
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

I gave them the vin number to see if they had anything on the car. All of my searches came up clean. The previous owner had it in immaculate condition and all service records were present. With me buying it at 58 k...the 60k mile c/u was just around the corner. I will forewarn you....the bigger maintenance appointments will send you into momentarily sticker shock....but it takes care of everything and is well worth the piece of mind.

With this being said...you may want to check with a Lexus dealer to see what all is recommended at the next major c/u and see what you are getting into cost wise. It may be wise to spend a little to have it checked over by a certified Lexus dealer and ask the seller if you buy the car, can that cost be added to the price and if you dont buy the car, it is your loss.

My 99 runs great, and I have had no issues with the height adjustment...or for that matter anything engine wise. The only issue I have come across is window motors are getting slow (as in my windows go up very slowly)...and that is a recent concern. Not sure the cost of a new window motor...but intend to put it off as long as possible.

Good luck
Trace
Old 08-31-05, 05:20 PM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IDSRVIT: For the slow windows, try lubricating the window channels with a dry lubricant such as graphite powder.
Old 08-31-05, 05:33 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Default thanks

Thanks for the tip...I will give it a try.
Old 09-02-05, 11:46 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price seems fair enough. I'd buy it. As already mentioned, make sure the 90k servicing was done -- or better yet, negotiate to have them pay for the 120k servicing early.

If it's been serviced at a Lexus dealership, any Lexus dealership can and will pull the service history for you on the vehicle.

The miles are not high, IMO. Also, any problems which might have been an issue wouldve most likely been resoved by now, but pull the service history first and review it before your purchase.

The service costs are generally higher for a Lexus than a Toyota not because Lexuses require more work -- it's because Lexus charges a 25% premium over what Toyota charges for work performed. I've had work done (under warranty) at my Lexus dealership and know what they charge vs. what the rates are at the Toyota dealership. Additionally, Lexus charges more for parts as compared to Toyota -- for the same part.

That said, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about with purchasing a LX 470 with over 100k miles -- as long as it has been properly serviced up to that point.
Old 09-02-05, 12:24 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for maintenance, a few tips to save you some money.

I'm due for the 30K maintenance on my 2004 Land Cruiser, and I was quoted a few months ago a price of over $600.

Now I originally purchased a service agreement when I bought my LC to the cost was $540 which covered oil changes and tire rotations throughout the warranty period. The actual costs of oil changes and rotations during that time is around $500, but the package also included 4 complete interior/exterior details which made it worth it to me. The detailing isn't a $20 hand wash and wax. You have to schedule an appointment, they keep the car the entire day, and it's a full detail (i.e. wash, wax, shampoo of the entire interior, engine steam cleaning, etc.)

Anyway, back to the maintenance.

Since the oil changes and tire rotation are already paid for, deduct that from the 30k service and the cost comes in around $550 .

I asked what the 30K service covered (aside from the oil change and rotation), which is listed below along with some facts about it.

ATF change - The 2004+ LC/LX comes with a a fluid that does not require replacement. This comes from the dealer themselves. I can't believe it's lifetime, so I'll have to follow-up. As a result, it doesn't need to be performed.

Transfer case/diff oil change

Repack front bearings

retorque propeller shaft - dealer already checks this out in their inspection.

air filter - I already replaced this.

inspections - Dealer already offers this as a complimentary service during oil changes

So bottom line is that all I needed to have performed extra is the transfer case/diff oil change and the repacking of the front wheel bearings at a cost of $250. Add in what the oil change/rotation would have cost me along with the air filter and I still come in under $350.

Just something to keep in mind when you have the dealer service performed.
Old 07-01-08, 10:17 PM
LX470NAZ
Driver School Candidate

There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat. This is what works for me:

1. I find the type of Lexus I want I.E. LX470

2. Regarless of the milage find out if it has been maintained ***KEY*** point by a online record check via vin number and I go to the Lexus dealer to have a history maintinence report printed. Most lexus owners who spend over 60K for a car have it dealer maintained.

3. I try to get it private party most preferrably the first or second owner.

4. Enjoy and maintain your great car and have lots of fun.
Old 07-04-08, 09:51 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

WOW!!!! dead thread revived after 3 years......