LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Installed Vaistech today

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 06:33 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Vaistech today

I am a relatively new LX470 owner. I bought a used 2003 from Lexus of Richmond here in Va trading in my 2006 4Runner. I quickly ordered the Vaistech module so I could hook up my iPod. Today I received the unit and immediately installed it. I ended up running the supplied cable behind the dash and into the glove compartment and installing (actually just velcro'd) the unit there. This way I can just stash my iPod in there while driving. The unit works just as advertised...full control from the steering wheel and Nav screen. The 4Runner I had did have an AUX input in the center console so you could hook up your iPod...but you had to manually control it from the iPod itself.

The sounds is fantastic...I do not notice any distortion or any hum. My only complaint is that it does have a slight delay when using the steering controls. Maybe an extra 2 seconds. Also I notice that when I change playlists, the first song will start playing and then "skip" and then resume play. It does this every time I change playlists. Has anyone else had this problem? Other than that I am a happy customer!!
Old 02-04-06, 03:11 PM
DarkStar12
Rookie

How was the install? I will be trying to install one of these next week in my '01. Is it complicated? thanks!
Old 02-04-06, 04:47 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no1sportz
I am a relatively new LX470 owner. I bought a used 2003 from Lexus of Richmond here in Va trading in my 2006 4Runner. I quickly ordered the Vaistech module so I could hook up my iPod. Today I received the unit and immediately installed it. I ended up running the supplied cable behind the dash and into the glove compartment and installing (actually just velcro'd) the unit there. This way I can just stash my iPod in there while driving. The unit works just as advertised...full control from the steering wheel and Nav screen. The 4Runner I had did have an AUX input in the center console so you could hook up your iPod...but you had to manually control it from the iPod itself.

The sounds is fantastic...I do not notice any distortion or any hum. My only complaint is that it does have a slight delay when using the steering controls. Maybe an extra 2 seconds. Also I notice that when I change playlists, the first song will start playing and then "skip" and then resume play. It does this every time I change playlists. Has anyone else had this problem? Other than that I am a happy customer!!
Do you have the Mark Levinson stereo on your LX?
Old 02-04-06, 05:44 PM
The ILLest
Driver School Candidate

That was pretty ambitious to do the install yourself. I have an '03 LX as will with Levinson sound. I had the dealer install my Vaistech when it first came out. I thought it would work better than it does i.e. Random play works but some songs repeat, when starting the LX you better have the iPod already connected, lately when starting the LX with sound on the beginning of the song queued up skips about 5 times unless I hit the reverse button on the wheel. Overall, I'm happy I have it. Much better than using iTrip. However, I've gotta return it to the dealer to see what's going on. I just haven't had time to take it in yet.
Old 02-04-06, 08:15 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DarkStar12
How was the install? I will be trying to install one of these next week in my '01. Is it complicated? thanks!
Actually the install wasn't that bad. I thought it was going to be worse. Just to note...I have never installed any of my own electronic equipment before and I still managed to install the Vaistech in less than an hour. Patience is key...and make sure you read your instructions. Once you are into your dash and have your audio/nav unit slid out just be careful that you don't pull to hard on any of the electronics/wires leading into the nav screen. There isn't much room to work with. If you could have someone hold the nav/audio unit while it is out of the dash, that would be VERY helpful while you make your connections. I didn't realize this until I was already in there and it was too late.

After you make the connection to the audio unit you then need to creatively run the supplied cables that will lead to your Vaistech module. I removed my entire glove compartment assembly and held a flashlight in the upper left corner to find where there would be a hole leading to the center dash. Seeing the light come through the other side will show you exactly where there is a space you can lead your cables. You will have to patient here because there is no room for your hands. Just fish the wires through. With the glove compartment removed you will see a small rectangle plastic piece that can be popped out, right at the top. If you remove this there is a wire connection attached to the rear of it. Slide that off and remove that black rectangle piece of plastic...this is the perfect place to lead your cables into the glove compartment without the risk of any binding of cables with the glove compartment door. Program your iPOd as per the instruction manual and test before you install everything back. If it works...put everything back...and you are set! Hope this helps some and doesn't confuse you!
Old 02-04-06, 08:17 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Do you have the Mark Levinson stereo on your LX?
Yes it has the ML.
Old 02-05-06, 06:38 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no1sportz
Yes it has the ML.
cool, we're taking delivery of an 06 later this month and i'm looking for a good solution to allow us to use the ipod with the wonderful ml stereo.
Old 02-06-06, 06:43 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an 04 GX470 and my VAIS unit does the same thing, skips, pauses, etc. Not a huge deal, but for $300, I expected the bugs to be worked out. Coastel Tech based in Florida has a new unit coming out that is supposed to give FULL ipod control through the factory nav unit. No word on price or compatiblility.
Old 02-09-06, 12:58 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do most Lexus dealerships know how to install the VAIS system? I have a feeling if i called Lexus of Austin and requested the install, they would look at me like I was speaking greek.