LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Can I have the OEM Navigation installed ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 06:36 PM
britrover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I have the OEM Navigation installed ?

Picking up LX this Wednesday and wanted to find out if I can add the OEM Lexus Navigation to it. Currently it doesn’t have the Navigation system just the Mark Levinson audio and I would really like to add the OEM navigation to it.

If you know of anyone who sells the OEM Nav for the 2001 LX please reply back to this thread.
Old 05-16-06, 08:13 AM
Drinkin40s
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if you would want the factory nav installed. I heard it's about 5k to have it replaced if it craps out. This was back when I was looking at an '02 vs '01. The technology changes so much for navigation that you would probably be best off just getting an aftermarket system. We have Nav in our BMW - it's an '02, but it's already looking dated compared to the newer systems on the market.
Old 05-16-06, 10:53 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same as you but i went for a Kenwood system. Cheaper, MUCH more user friendly than the factory nav of a 2001. Plus it plays MP3s and has aux inputs for game systems or outputs for headrest screens. I currently have Sirius, Reg AM/FM, DVD/CD player, Rear Camera, and a CD Changer(10 disc) + Nagivation hooked up to my headunit.

If i heard someone right at this past weekend NELOC meet we had, someone thought it was factory

Check the system out, its a Kenwood DDX-7015 i have, they make a newer model but i forget the name. They still make mine though.

Factory System

My headunit (you dont have to change the climate controls and the main center console bezel to use it

The navigation touchscreen.
Old 05-16-06, 10:55 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

also, both of you, welcome to Club Lexus if you havent already been welcomed.
Old 05-16-06, 01:04 PM
britrover
Driver School Candidate

1LOUDLX - You have tons of great information, thanks for the input. Just looking at the pictures of your unit I've decided to go with the Kenwood. Can you please elaborate on how much of an effort is it to install ? Does it seem to integrate well with the Levinson audio system.

I will have to find a local shop that can do the install so want to gauge how much will cost to have installed or any install instructions you might have.

Thanks again…..I took the pdf you provided on the steering wheel issue and the dealership is fixing it for me.
Old 05-16-06, 11:12 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

im thinking it will cost you between 1,500 and about 2,000 for parts (the headunit touchscreen unit and then the kenwood navigation computer to go with it. For installation it would really only require rewiring the speakers and such and the running the one set of cables that connect the nav to the headunit. I had my navigation "brain" mounted where my first aid kit was. I had the nackamichi system and it sounded pretty decent after i swapped the radio. However for my audio pleasures i later on upgraded my door speakers and added a 10" JL Audio W6v2.

If you need part numbers of what i have just shoot me a PM. You should be able to find the products online quite easily at any major car audio website. Also if you go to an audio shop they most likely know what you would need.

Eclipse also makes a system somewhat like mine. I also think apline makes one. I just recommend mine because well, I have it, have had it for a while and *knock on my wood trim* havent had a problem yet.

For a point of refrence, i paid 2600 dollars for parts + labor, however i also got a CD Changer installed in the cargo area along with a sirius tuner under the front passanger carpet up by the firewall. Another 500 a few months later got me the rear camera.

Good Luck.