LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Suspension on '02 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 03:12 PM
20blks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension on '02 LX470

When ever I put my truck in park or stop driving for a while (with the engine running) the front end drops a little. The suspension setting is still in neutral but it seems to sink a little. Is this normal?
Old 05-22-06, 07:52 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If the engine is on, the height shouldn't change. If it's off, then it can change.
Old 05-22-06, 12:42 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

take for example this, you go to Lowes/Home Depot with your ---- LX470. Your doing a little cementing this afternoon at your house so you buy 2-3 bags of quikrete. You take the heavy bags of cement powder and put them on your cart and go to the checkout. Push them outside and get to your LX. You pick up the heavy bags of cement and throw them in the trunk of your LX470. Now you get in and turn the engine on. The rear should lift back up to level hight after a few seconds.

NOW you drive home and park in your driveway but leave the engine running as you want to take the cement out near the end of your super long uber rich driveway. You take them out one by one while leaving the tailgates open engine on and in park....you wouldnt want it rolling away from you now

So all 3 bags of quikrete are unloaded and you shut your tailgate....pissssssssstt. Your back end just droped a few inchs to level back out. That was your auto hight control doing its job, leveing your car out even while the ENGINE IS ON WHILE IN PARK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20blks, your front dropping a little once you put it in park after driving around for a while is most likely normal.....unless its dropping down onto the tires, then you got mas problemas. Either front or rear dropping just a smidget after normal driving is totally normal.

NOW, whyyyyyyyy couldnt lexus have made the suspension lower at higher speeds like the porsches do, THAT is what i really would like.
Old 05-22-06, 02:41 PM
20blks
Driver School Candidate

Thanks loud, that makes perfect sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone.
Old 05-30-06, 06:06 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
NOW, whyyyyyyyy couldnt lexus have made the suspension lower at higher speeds like the porsches do, THAT is what i really would like.
I've had my LX for two weeks and I'm asking the same thing. Seems like such a no brainer.
Old 05-30-06, 11:25 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

well i think i may just order from japan the little box that allows you to keep it locked at a height reguardless of speed, so when im hualin on the highway ill drop her into L to get around those turns at top speed
Old 05-31-06, 07:34 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by fever
I've had my LX for two weeks and I'm asking the same thing. Seems like such a no brainer.
My guess is for safety, so when you're on that interchange ramp and turning at 75mph, the person sitting in the passenger seat doesn't say, "What does this height control thingy do?" and put it into high while turning, causing the vehicle to flip. Being able to lock it into low would be great for driving on mountain roads. That's the only case I've encountered so far when I'd like to lock the height.
Old 05-31-06, 04:26 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

ya no, over 19mph disable the H mode but why the L mode? From my experience driving the Cayenne Turbo....thats a whole nother forum for that experience, let alone different section or thread. But ya, i put it on the highest setting and it dropped down once i hit a certain speed which i forgot but then i was able to drop it low WHILE i was on the highway at highway speeds, plus it even went into like uber duber low mode once i cranked it up on the straightaways. It truely helps the handling when you get a SUV even a inch or two lower to the ground.

now you may say SUVs arent performance vehicles but its not just that....its safer to lower the center of gravity!!!! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218865 if you dont believe it.

Anyways, does anyone else think their suspension is acting funny? Post here and we will try to help ya!
Old 05-31-06, 09:11 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
ya no, over 19mph disable the H mode but why the L mode? From my experience driving the Cayenne Turbo....thats a whole nother forum for that experience, let alone different section or thread. But ya, i put it on the highest setting and it dropped down once i hit a certain speed which i forgot but then i was able to drop it low WHILE i was on the highway at highway speeds, plus it even went into like uber duber low mode once i cranked it up on the straightaways. It truely helps the handling when you get a SUV even a inch or two lower to the ground.

now you may say SUVs arent performance vehicles but its not just that....its safer to lower the center of gravity!!!! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218865 if you dont believe it.

Anyways, does anyone else think their suspension is acting funny? Post here and we will try to help ya!
Agreed. It handles pretty well for a car of this size/weight in the turns w/ the damping set to sport, but it would be that much better a couple of inches lower. I mainly use the sport mode in the mountains on the descents (there's an 8000 ft alt, 30 mi long road behind my house). Sure, you lose suspension downtravel, but most mountain highways are pretty smooth, and if it's not, you wouldn't be cornering fast at all. That's the only reason I'd consider a AHC controller.
Old 06-01-06, 12:13 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

well jim if you can find out more about the AHC system i may order it because we may be selling the porsche soon so i will need something for perfomance fun although it may be replaced by a is350 or gs430 if im lucky.