LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New Body Style???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 12:00 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gx470atl
Manufacturer: Toyota Motor Corporation
Production: 2008–present
Predecessor: Lexus LX
Class: Fullsize SUV
Similar: Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
Infiniti QX56
Cadillac Escalade ESV
Lincoln Navigator L

The Lexus JX 470 will replace the LX470 in 2007, making its debut as a 2008 model. Lexus is expected to introduce a new 5.4 L V8 engine in the JX. With this engine, it is possible that the model will actually be named JX 540 by the time it reaches production. The JX will be based on the next generation Toyota Sequoia, whereas the current LX is based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. The JX will be built along the Sequoia at Toyota's Princeton, Indiana plant, becoming the first Lexus built in the United States. The JX is also Lexus's first replacement car.

Lexus hasn't said anything about changing the LX to the JX name. Hybrid derivations are expected. But before all this can happen, Toyota has to redesign the current Landcruiser 100 or another cheaper SUV (Tacoma) which the next generation LX will be based on. The time gap between a cheaper model redesign and a new expensive model is usually 8-14 months. This could possibly mean a 2009 introduction date.

Everyone knows that information, we've all seen it. NO NEW information has popped up since that stuff came out, and that was waaaay back in April, right before the NYIAS. I've been looking like crazy for any information, photos, specifications, etc. Anyone who finds anything on the new JX, I'd just worship you for finding it.
Old 07-03-06, 12:37 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Teh LX is one of the greatest SUVs ever made, we all know the Land Cruiser is world reknown. It has also gotten very expensive to build this one of a kind machine.

While sales may be low in the US, wordwide the Land Cruiser is quite popular albeit not as lavishly contented as the US models are. I don't think Toyota has lost any money on this platform based on global sales, and given that, they can probably afford to sell relatively lower numbers in North America.
Old 07-03-06, 01:04 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default All righty then......

Originally Posted by toyotafan2
Everyone knows that information, we've all seen it. NO NEW information has popped up since that stuff came out, and that was waaaay back in April, right before the NYIAS. I've been looking like crazy for any information, photos, specifications, etc. Anyone who finds anything on the new JX, I'd just worship you for finding it.
So sorry for the repost.......even though my information has already been corrected by 1Sicklex

Old 07-04-06, 04:42 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by crazyboi
i like the 06 LX....

to me it has power and additional features which are great! (bluetooth and such)

but if it could be bigger/larger, that would be super duper!
For the record, bluetooth has been available on the LX since the 2004 model year!

John from Boston
Old 07-04-06, 07:05 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crazyboi
i like the 06 LX....

to me it has power and additional features which are great! (bluetooth and such)

but if it could be bigger/larger, that would be super duper!

How much bigger do you want it?? As big as the Excursion?? lol

The bigger it is, the worse the gas mpg will be!!
Old 07-04-06, 07:39 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Enigma869
For the record, bluetooth has been available on the LX since the 2004 model year!

John from Boston

Which need a huge improvement along with the voice recognition. Two months ago I purchased a brand new Acura RL. I'm sorry but the Acura system BLOWS AWAY the Toyota system. The voice recognition system which I abandoned in my Land Cruiser is viable in my Acura. Actually so viable that I find myself using the system more an more and hardly ever using the dash controls. The system recognizes my commands around 90%-95% of the time, and it has over 600 commands. The challenge is actually learning the commands and using them, but as you do, you find it's almost easier to just tell it what you want it to do instead of using the controls. That system allows you to enter a destination without ever moving you hands.

You say....

You: Menu
System responds: How would you like to set your destination (i.e. address, POI, Address book, etc,)
You: Address
System: By City or Street
You: City
System: Say city or current
You: Chicago
(The system will then display a number of cities that sound similar to what you just said. Usually the city you requested will be the first)
System: Select the number of the city that you desire
You: 1
System: Say street name
You: Michigan Ave
(Like with the cities, the system will then display a number of streets that sound similar to what you just said. )
System: Select the number of the street you desire
System: Say the stree number
You: 3-0-0-0
System: Do you want to calculate the destination?
You: Yes

and you're done!

Add to that the fact that you can completely use VR to dial your phone. You download phone book entries (i.e. Home or Voicemail). You then just say, "Call Home", or "Call Voicemail", and the system makes the call. You can also number dial by saying "Dial 3-1-2-8-6-7-9-3-0-9". Many times I never take my phone out of my pocket. Really.

Hopefully the new GEN V system in the Toyota/Lexus models has made similar improvements.
Old 07-04-06, 11:31 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like the new gen navigations from toyota do the same. I agree though Acura and Toyota have the best navi systems.
Old 07-06-06, 10:44 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
Which need a huge improvement along with the voice recognition. Two months ago I purchased a brand new Acura RL. I'm sorry but the Acura system BLOWS AWAY the Toyota system. The voice recognition system which I abandoned in my Land Cruiser is viable in my Acura. Actually so viable that I find myself using the system more an more and hardly ever using the dash controls. The system recognizes my commands around 90%-95% of the time, and it has over 600 commands. The challenge is actually learning the commands and using them, but as you do, you find it's almost easier to just tell it what you want it to do instead of using the controls. That system allows you to enter a destination without ever moving you hands.

You say....

You: Menu
System responds: How would you like to set your destination (i.e. address, POI, Address book, etc,)
You: Address
System: By City or Street
You: City
System: Say city or current
You: Chicago
(The system will then display a number of cities that sound similar to what you just said. Usually the city you requested will be the first)
System: Select the number of the city that you desire
System: Say street name
You: Michigan Ave
(Like with the cities, the system will then display a number of streets that sound similar to what you just said. )
System: Select the number of the street you desire
System: Say the stree number
You: 3-0-0-0
System: Do you want to calculate the destination?
You: Yes

and you're done!

Add to that the fact that you can completely use VR to dial your phone. You download phone book entries (i.e. Home or Voicemail). You then just say, "Call Home", or "Call Voicemail", and the system makes the call. You can also number dial by saying "Dial 3-1-2-8-6-7-9-3-0-9". Many times I never take my phone out of my pocket. Really.

Hopefully the new GEN V system in the Toyota/Lexus models has made similar improvements.

I hope this new Navigation system in the new JX will be convenient. In my mother's ES 330, it's easy to put all the information yourself by hand...unfortunately neither one of us can program the voice part of it....uugh I feel so incompetent. This new JX will kick Escalade's and GL 450's *** when it comes out. When I have the money, I'll likely buy one.
Old 07-07-06, 10:09 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSKING430
When will there be a new body style? My o5 GX is getting smalll but the LX is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo played out. Anyone know or have pics?
No, the 2007 LX (or Toyota Land Cruiser Cygnus in Japan) looks just the same.

http://toyota.jp/landcruisercygnus/e...lor/index.html
Old 07-10-06, 12:29 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

I have three questions on new LX. One, is Toyota going to implement the new LED headlamps that they're putting on the new LS? Putting them on the new LX would make all the more sense, since it would enhance vision around corners and you would never have to change the headlamps ever again. Two, what would the EPA ratings be on this newborn beast of an SUV? You are putting a great vehicle together overall, rock-solid top to bottom (without Cadillac's and Mercedes-Benz's reliability problems), but you would have to wonder wouldn't this thing push 7000 pounds GVWR? It's already at 6900+lbs with the Land Cruiser-based body and using the Sequoia, man your almost talking like Hummer H2 EPA ratings (though that thing is designed terribly, garbage materials they used on it, made it so damn heavy, poorly engineered, everyone wonders why GM, Ford, and DaimerChrysler stock is left in the dust compared to Toyota, Nissan, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz), averages maybe 10 MPG. My uncle has one and it can GO, problem is that it uses gasoline up like there's no tomorrow. Right now, I'm in Maui and out here, gas will run you $3.60+ for regular! My father filled up the Lincoln Town Car rental we have and it was $48USD for 13.35 gallons....sucks ***, I know. I hope the new LX is better than Escalade in terms of fuel efficiency. VVT-i helps. Last, what would the price range be? My early guess is around the 2001-2006 LS price range, anywhere between $56,000 to $61,000. Can't wait for the pics and specs! I'm so antsy for anything.

Last edited by toyotafan2; 07-10-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 03:49 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I think it'll be pricier.
Old 07-13-06, 09:35 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aedgington
I think it'll be pricier.

and way better than the current one. It's not like the current one is bad but it had been out for 8 years and I think the next LX is going to be super awesome.
Old 07-13-06, 06:37 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STIG
and way better than the current one. It's not like the current one is bad but it had been out for 8 years and I think the next LX is going to be super awesome.
You think it'll sticker for around $60,000? I've heard crazy rumors that its gonna start at like $75,000 USD+, which I think is totally insane. I wouldn't pay that much for an SUV, I mean come on, a car that will likely cost you close to $2,500 USD/year in gas and $75,000 USD to buy it? That will severely eat away at sales if that's the sticker price. It better be fully loaded and very few options available, if any if it starts at that price. I don't know the actual price, but let's hope the one I said is not it.
Old 07-13-06, 06:40 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Man what are you smoking? Base current model is $67,000. Loaded is $72,000.

Don't you think they'll raise the price a tad to pay of R&D on a new platform? Hmmmm?

I don't think raising the price 5% is going to "severely eat away at sales".
Old 07-13-06, 06:44 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aedgington
Man what are you smoking? Base current model is $67,000. Loaded is $72,000.

Don't you think they'll raise the price a tad to pay of R&D on a new platform? Hmmmm?
Well, it'd be cheaper to just build it off the Sequoia platform, I expected it to be raised a negligible amount. Look at Navigator, fully loaded at $65K USD and it starts at what, $52K USD. Could Lexus raise the price more? Sure, but you can't raise it more than 2 or 3 thousand. Wouldn't you think it would drive away buyers if it was raised even more than that and then some; people at that point may just end up buying the QX 56 or Escalade, which sucks for Toyota. When it comes out, then I'll believe it before my very eyes.

Last edited by toyotafan2; 07-13-06 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: New Body Style???