LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New Body Style???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 06:50 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotafan2
Well, it'd be cheaper to just build it off the Sequoia platform, I didn't expect it to be raised that much. Look at Navigator, fully loaded at $65K USD and it starts at what, $52K USD. Why would Lexus want to raise the price that much? Wouldn't you think it would drive away buyers if it was that much, people at that point may just end up buying the QX 56 or Escalade, which sucks for Toyota. When it comes out, then I'll believe it before my very eyes.
I still don't understand. You say "raise the price that much". I'm saying it's already 67-72. A 75 price tag isn't raising the price much.

Yes, if it's built on the Sequoia platform, it should be cheaper... but then it wouldn't really be an LX. I personally will be HIGHLY disappointed if they choose to use the Sequoia platform and retain the LX designation.

Now, I'm not saying I know anything anyone else doesn't. All I'm saying is that going from a 72K price tag to a 75K price tag isn't going to cost them sales.

... and people who would spend 65 on a Navigator are just *****ing stupid. That goes for that POS QX & Escalade as well.

BTW, looks like I caught you changing your post
Old 07-13-06, 07:05 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aedgington
I still don't understand. You say "raise the price that much". I'm saying it's already 67-72. A 75 price tag isn't raising the price much.

Yes, if it's built on the Sequoia platform, it should be cheaper... but then it wouldn't really be an LX. I personally will be HIGHLY disappointed if they choose to use the Sequoia platform and retain the LX designation.

Now, I'm not saying I know anything anyone else doesn't. All I'm saying is that going from a 72K price tag to a 75K price tag isn't going to cost them sales.

... and people who would spend 65 on a Navigator are just *****ing stupid. That goes for that POS QX & Escalade as well.

BTW, looks like I caught you changing your post
(From Animal House) "Thank you sir, may I have another one?"
Yeah, you did catch me there, I ****ed up what I was trying to say at first. I agree, it would be stupid to retain the LX name and just use the Sequoia body on it. I have read threads on other sites that it could be called "JX", which ain't bad, but "VX", what the hell is Toyota doing allowing their marketing agents to decide that "VX" would be a marketable name. First of all, VX is a severely bad toxic gas, used as an army weapon in "The Rock", however it is a real nerve toxin. Second, doesn't that name sound awkward? VX, you ever hear of a vehicle called by that name? Last, why not just expand the SUV lineup and keep LX and just bring in the new one. I'm sure people would still buy the LX if it was maybe a little less and more efficient. But anything is possible with Toyota.
Old 07-13-06, 07:06 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

I tried to build a GL 450 online and the price was absolutely terrible. It gets worse mileage than the LX and its grossly overpriced. Plus, Mercedes-Benz has a history of having a lot more problems after 100,000 miles versus Toyota products. I am sold that Toyota is the best overall company in terms of reliability, customer satisfaction, and value.
Old 07-13-06, 07:23 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

That's because one of the design goals of the Land Cruiser program was to have the vehicle in service 25 years. When people ask me why I have such a hard-on for the LX/LC and I mention that, they're speechless. Then tell them that they're used routinely around the world in the harshest climates by military, safari, and expedition professionals? Forget it. That's why I would be so disappointed by Toyota if they were to give a Sequoia-based vehicle an LX designation.

Considering how tremendously overbuilt this vehicle is for what we (N.A. suburbia) use it for, it's no wonder it's so trouble free. As far as MB goes, I'm all about german brands when it comes to sport cars; heck, I'll go one step further and say the Cayenne is an AWESOME metropolitan suv, but I honestly don't believe the LC/LX has any competition. That being said, I hate to admit that I do think the cooled seats in the Navigator are quite sweet & I hope Toyota adopts that trick.
Old 07-13-06, 08:53 PM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

That's because one of the design goals of the Land Cruiser program was to have the vehicle in service 25 years. When people ask me why I have such a hard-on for the LX/LC and I mention that, they're speechless. Then tell them that they're used routinely around the world in the harshest climates by military, safari, and expedition professionals? Forget it. That's why I would be so disappointed by Toyota if they were to give a Sequoia-based vehicle an LX designation.

Considering how tremendously overbuilt this vehicle is for what we (N.A. suburbia) use it for, it's no wonder it's so trouble free. As far as MB goes, I'm all about german brands when it comes to sport cars; heck, I'll go one step further and say the Cayenne is an AWESOME metropolitan suv, but I honestly don't believe the LC/LX has any competition. That being said, I hate to admit that I do think the cooled seats in the Navigator are quite sweet & I hope Toyota adopts that trick.
Toyota knows how to one up the others in all areas, design and interior primarily. Let's hope they pack a lot of goodies in this baby.
Old 07-15-06, 12:53 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotafan2
You think it'll sticker for around $60,000? I've heard crazy rumors that its gonna start at like $75,000 USD+, which I think is totally insane. I wouldn't pay that much for an SUV, I mean come on, a car that will likely cost you close to $2,500 USD/year in gas and $75,000 USD to buy it? That will severely eat away at sales if that's the sticker price. It better be fully loaded and very few options available, if any if it starts at that price. I don't know the actual price, but let's hope the one I said is not it.
While I believe LX is the greatest lux SUV ever made (ok i am a little biased), they need to keep their price competitive in their market segment. The base price for the new 06 are around 70K. So, I think 75K for totally new LX is reasonable. But 80K would be the max. There are some other choices if you go beyond 80K such as Range Rover.
Old 07-15-06, 12:55 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I cant agree wtih you more on this.

I seriously, i mean seriously hope that the next LC/LX wont be based off american market only Sequoia.
Old 07-15-06, 10:14 AM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

OK, if Lexarazzo is right, then wtf is going on? What is Toyota smoking? Why would Lexus want to make a distinct SUV, totally newly based off of Sequoia and Land Cruiser yet keep the name LX? Why don't they just create a whole new division based off of a existing Toyota model than starting up a new one off of nothing . Starting the luxury edition off the base derivative from Toyota would be cheaper and more marketable. I don't know what this new one is gonna look like at all now, but let's hope it's better than Escalade in every sense. Knock your shoes off, that good.
Old 07-15-06, 01:19 PM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Lx470

What is the current LX based on? What is the GX based on?
Why is everyone against a Sequioa version. The car doesn't need to be redesigned it's perfect just the way it is. Just needs a few little options. I hope they keep the name LX.

Also, the current price of the car is about $72K, and then you have the Range Rover, which is $76-77K (and $83K if you want a true luxury SUV b/c you have to get the Luxury package). So I think sales will be about the same. The LX is a great car! I had the opportunity to pick one up two weeks ago for a significant discount, but I decided I'm going to wait for the new one!
Old 07-15-06, 02:33 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

The LX is based on the Land Cruiser, the "100" platform. The GX is based on the Land Cruiser Prado, the "105" platform.

Read further above to find objections to Sequoia-based LX.
Old 07-15-06, 05:45 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is that most people looking to buy in this market segment aren't really all that interested in the fact that was was designed for a 25-year lifespan, or that it sets the benchmark in durability and reliability. People who are buying Escalades, Range Rovers, and Navigators are looking for a large vehicle with a high bling factor. So if you roll out a Sequoia based SUV and slap an L on it those folks won't care. The SUV will have instant credability for reliability because it's produced by Toyota.

Most people who own LCs and LXs appreciate the vehicles for what they are and they'll rarely if ever stray. It's not unheard of for people to be on their fourth or fifth Land Cruiser. Why don't those people wander over to Lincoln, Caddy, RR, or Infiniti?

They know better. The rest are going to look for the Luxury badge for the cheapest $$.
Old 07-16-06, 04:01 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Oh, I agree, and I'm not saying there isn't a market for a blinged-up Sequoia, I was just saying that I would be disappointed if they tainted the LX name by putting it on that vehicle.

Let's just say a bling bling Sequoia w/ an LX badge would be riding dirty
Old 07-16-06, 12:18 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I agree, and I'm not saying there isn't a market for a blinged-up Sequoia, I was just saying that I would be disappointed if they tainted the LX name by putting it on that vehicle.

Let's just say a bling bling Sequoia w/ an LX badge would be riding dirty
Oh I agree.
Old 07-16-06, 08:11 PM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

Default WRT Sequoia

My dad used to have a saying...something that went...

"You can't polish a turd."