LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New Body Style???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 07:35 PM
GSKING430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Body Style???

When will there be a new body style? My o5 GX is getting smalll but the LX is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo played out. Anyone know or have pics?
Old 05-21-06, 08:10 PM
gijoebruin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSKING430
but the LX is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo played out.
uh....
Old 05-21-06, 08:50 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSKING430
When will there be a new body style? My o5 GX is getting smalll but the LX is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo played out. Anyone know or have pics?

all i know is that it's possible this vehicle is going to die a natural death. i think Lexus is planning to replace it with the JX (550) but when, is what i'm not sure of.
Old 05-21-06, 09:22 PM
GSKING430
Driver

gi joe I'm sorry if I was rude in my comment. What I mean't was I loved it a long time ago. It's just plain to me now. I would really like a bigger Lexus SUV than GX but LX has been the same for so long.

sorry
Old 05-28-06, 10:49 PM
gijoebruin
Driver School Candidate

There is no help since Lexus hasn't released any information on the 2007. Only one spyshot on the net and it's all over this forum.

Looks like we'll all have to wait.
Old 05-29-06, 08:57 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Lexus built a track in Hokkaido, Japan, a number of years back (late 90's?) to mimic the road conditions encountered in Los Angeles. If there's a new vehicle, that would be the place it's being tested, IMHO.
Old 06-16-06, 07:20 AM
lexusman1
Driver School Candidate

OK hear is what I hear is going on In Japan. The 411 is that lexus is suppose to be deleteing the very old and LX/like Land Cruiser from the Toyota line. Toyota has plans for a Newly redesigned SUV platform called project (JX) the JX would be used for both Toyota and Lexus Trucks. the first to recieve the make over will be the toyota sequoia than months later the release of the new LX. So that means the new LX would be sharing parts with the cheaper Sequoia. Now the new platform will feature lighter steel/aluminum structure that is longer and wider. I DONT KNOW IF TOYOTA/LEXUS WILL USE INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION. But it is a possibility though. the engine and transmission would be the new 6 speed auto and 5.4 liter V8 from the up coming Toyota Tundra which might also be based upon this new JX platform. The body of LX is suppose to be better in all demension especially in wheelbase allowing it to have true adult 3rd Row room w/seats that fold completely flat. The new LX would feature Lexuses new L-finesse design giving it short overhangs, and a muscular (car like stance) with the space of a navi/QX56 so it will look small from the outside but once inside it will be huge. It may keep Quad headlights but it will definately be faster stronger and longer. expect all the technology and goodies an SUV could recieve. The 5.4 liter V8 would be powerful making 350ish hp and 360ish torque. the new name would be LX540, LX500 or LX500h(hybrid) Price would also reach closer towards it main competitor the Range Rover. I also hear word of a truck V8 hybrid development also on the list. Scheduled release date would be 2008 for the gas version and even later for the hybrid.

My thoughts is I Hope it has a new independent suspension more powerful engine and a real adult 3rd seat. Because I might would by it with those features. It sounds like Lexus is doing the same things a Mercedes-Benz is doing with the GL450 SUV, A big interior in a small package. I test drove a new GL450 and put my entire (big) familiy in one. It was huge as a Escalade but I never could find were all the space came from it seemed so small just looking at it, but I underestimated it.
Old 06-16-06, 10:24 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusman1
OK hear is what I hear is going on In Japan. The 411 is that lexus is suppose to be deleteing the very old and LX/like Land Cruiser from the Toyota line. Toyota has plans for a Newly redesigned SUV platform called project (JX) the JX would be used for both Toyota and Lexus Trucks. the first to recieve the make over will be the toyota sequoia than months later the release of the new LX. So that means the new LX would be sharing parts with the cheaper Sequoia. Now the new platform will feature lighter steel/aluminum structure that is longer and wider. I DONT KNOW IF TOYOTA/LEXUS WILL USE INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION. But it is a possibility though. the engine and transmission would be the new 6 speed auto and 5.4 liter V8 from the up coming Toyota Tundra which might also be based upon this new JX platform. The body of LX is suppose to be better in all demension especially in wheelbase allowing it to have true adult 3rd Row room w/seats that fold completely flat. The new LX would feature Lexuses new L-finesse design giving it short overhangs, and a muscular (car like stance) with the space of a navi/QX56 so it will look small from the outside but once inside it will be huge. It may keep Quad headlights but it will definately be faster stronger and longer. expect all the technology and goodies an SUV could recieve. The 5.4 liter V8 would be powerful making 350ish hp and 360ish torque. the new name would be LX540, LX500 or LX500h(hybrid) Price would also reach closer towards it main competitor the Range Rover. I also hear word of a truck V8 hybrid development also on the list. Scheduled release date would be 2008 for the gas version and even later for the hybrid.

My thoughts is I Hope it has a new independent suspension more powerful engine and a real adult 3rd seat. Because I might would by it with those features. It sounds like Lexus is doing the same things a Mercedes-Benz is doing with the GL450 SUV, A big interior in a small package. I test drove a new GL450 and put my entire (big) familiy in one. It was huge as a Escalade but I never could find were all the space came from it seemed so small just looking at it, but I underestimated it.
Any word on the Land Cruiser? - is it too going to be based on the new platform you mention? Some newbe on the ih8mud.com forum (take it for what its worth) said new specs were released to Toyota US execs indicating that the new LC will be on its own platform and will remain about the same size - maybe a couple inches longer. To debut in 18 months. I have always heard the next Toyota full size SUVs will share the same platform, but this guy seems to think/know differently. Any word on your sources in Japan??

Last edited by flyfishman; 06-27-06 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-27-06, 10:22 AM
Enigma869
Driver

It always amazes me when I read a GX owner telling us how "played out" the LX is! I actually test drove the GX before deciding on my 2004 LX. I honestly don't think the GX is any more up to date than the LX is, in terms of its appearance. I certainly understand it's a much newer vehicle than the LX is, but the LX is every bit as updated inside as the GX is and I still think the LX looks better! Not to mention, I wouldn't take that dopey barn door on the back of the GX if you paid me to! In my opinion, that swinging barn door was a MAJOR design flaw for Lexus and one of the reasons I decided against the GX. That, and the LX is simply much nicer inside than the GX!

John from Boston
Old 06-27-06, 02:29 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
It always amazes me when I read a GX owner telling us how "played out" the LX is! I actually test drove the GX before deciding on my 2004 LX. I honestly don't think the GX is any more up to date than the LX is, in terms of its appearance. I certainly understand it's a much newer vehicle than the LX is, but the LX is every bit as updated inside as the GX is and I still think the LX looks better! Not to mention, I wouldn't take that dopey barn door on the back of the GX if you paid me to! In my opinion, that swinging barn door was a MAJOR design flaw for Lexus and one of the reasons I decided against the GX. That, and the LX is simply much nicer inside than the GX!

John from Boston
In my case, if the LX had a 1 piece liftgate instead of that 2 piece thing, I might have considered the LX. I've gotten very used to the barn door but I still would prefer a 1 piece liftgate.
Old 06-30-06, 10:15 PM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
In my case, if the LX had a 1 piece liftgate instead of that 2 piece thing, I might have considered the LX. I've gotten very used to the barn door but I still would prefer a 1 piece liftgate.
In the words of Clarkson when he tested the new Range Rover Sport (with 1 piece liftgate rather than a proper tailgate),

"Where are you supposed to sit?!"
Old 07-01-06, 01:57 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXLX
In the words of Clarkson when he tested the new Range Rover Sport (with 1 piece liftgate rather than a proper tailgate),

"Where are you supposed to sit?!"
If I wanted a tailgate that swung down, I would have purchased a pickup truck.
Old 07-02-06, 05:15 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found this....

Manufacturer: Toyota Motor Corporation
Production: 2008–present
Predecessor: Lexus LX
Class: Fullsize SUV
Similar: Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
Infiniti QX56
Cadillac Escalade ESV
Lincoln Navigator L

The Lexus JX 470 will replace the LX470 in 2007, making its debut as a 2008 model. Lexus is expected to introduce a new 5.4 L V8 engine in the JX. With this engine, it is possible that the model will actually be named JX 540 by the time it reaches production. The JX will be based on the next generation Toyota Sequoia, whereas the current LX is based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. The JX will be built along the Sequoia at Toyota's Princeton, Indiana plant, becoming the first Lexus built in the United States. The JX is also Lexus's first replacement car.

Lexus hasn't said anything about changing the LX to the JX name. Hybrid derivations are expected. But before all this can happen, Toyota has to redesign the current Landcruiser 100 or another cheaper SUV (Tacoma) which the next generation LX will be based on. The time gap between a cheaper model redesign and a new expensive model is usually 8-14 months. This could possibly mean a 2009 introduction date.

Old 07-02-06, 07:01 AM
LexFather

From my understanding even though the next LX will be Sequoia based, it will KEEP the name LX. Its a valuable name and Lexus has never discontinued a car/SUV.

The engine will be a new 5.4 liter V-8 (That is waht the new Tundra has right?). it will of course have all amenities and top luxury and technology. A hybrid is possible.

No pics yet at all.

Teh LX is one of the greatest SUVs ever made, we all know the Land Cruiser is world reknown. It has also gotten very expensive to build this one of a kind machine.

Grab them while you can.

The GX is called the Land Cruiser Prado overseas and close in dimensions.

So Lexus will have the RX, then midsize GX then huge LX.

A Lexus crossover might be called the JX, based on the GS platform

Thanks
Old 07-03-06, 12:08 AM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
If I wanted a tailgate that swung down, I would have purchased a pickup truck.
Nah...you'd get wet when it rained or snowed My upper liftgate keeps me dry...

Quick Reply: New Body Style???