LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

So is anybody actually buy LXs new anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 12:28 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've seen a lot of domestic SUVs in use in the mid-east, but you're right, in Africa Toyota seems to be very dominant (though not necessarily the Lexus LX or Yota LC in particular)
My guess is that the Toyota hilux (crewcab) pickup w/ diesel engine is the dominant workhorse offroad vehicle in virtually all developing countries.
Old 06-01-06, 04:40 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by royk
We leased ours brand new in October and have been very happy with it. Didn't even consider any of the domestics or the Infiniti QX - especially after researching.

Another reason why we got the LX though: it fits in our garage! Well, barely...need to lower the suspension and fold the mirrors. We love our house but it is 40 years old and back in '64 when it was built, there wasn't such a thing as an SUV!

The new Mercedes GL450 (7,500 lb. towing capacity) would make an interesting replacement after our 30 months are up, or if Lexus comes out with a replacement model. But contrary to some of the other opinions expressed here, I hope they DON'T make it bigger. As long as it'll tow my race car on a trailer as it already does, it fits the bill nicely.
My thoughts almost exactly.

We leased ours in March and frankly, the only other SUV's we really even considered where Lexus.

Our "old" (everything is relative and in S.CA any house built before 1980 seems to be considered old) house was built in 1968 and we fit easily lenght wise but I have to lower the susp. to open the hatch all the way and I have to fold the mirrors to leave sufficient room on both sides of the Beast and our NSX.

And I wholeheartedly agree about not making it bigger! To me, the size is just about perfect. After nearly 3 months and 3K miles, the only things I'd really liked changed would be OEM HID headlamps and a more user friendly 3rd row of seats.

BTW - filled the tank on the way to work this morning and got 14.92mpg. Our fuel effiiciency continues to get a little bit better with each tank. I was hoping for 13 in mixed driving so getting almost 15 is making me pretty happy.
Old 06-02-06, 10:13 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Escalade seems like its AWD system may be pretty impressive and capable, really.
Long Wheel Base for the Escalade!
Old 06-05-06, 07:05 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen a lot of domestic SUVs in use in the mid-east, but you're right, in Africa Toyota seems to be very dominant (though not necessarily the Lexus LX or Yota LC in particular)

In Saudia Arabia you see more LX or in Oman.
Old 06-07-06, 10:01 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a ride around the streets of the North Shore of Nassau County the current LX 470 is as common as the RX and GX. It is still my favorite SUV since the first time I saw it in 1998.
Old 06-10-06, 09:39 AM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

I believe this is the last year of their production, and they definitely seem to be getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak - they need a makeover/redesign badly, especially with the new Benz and Escalade competition coming out - those are so really nice vehicles and to be honest the only thing I can say the LX offers over them is reliability - but even so - at what price premium?
Definately, makeover and redesign. You can confirm the JX will be designed based on Sequoia, but don't confirm the model # 470 or 540. It could be called 570 if Toyota plans to use the Tundra engine on JX. A lot of people have been saying VX, but JX may actually be a better name to use (for marketing reasons, I don't know). Makes a lot more sense to base it off of Sequoia versus Land Cruiser, cheaper to produce, better, more efficient design, safer, will be built Domestically (United States in particular), ultimately could drop price considerably versus LX. I would rather buy the new JX versus LX.
Old 06-12-06, 04:28 PM
ArmyJoe
Pole Position

In Qatar at least 5 out of 10 cars are Land Cruisers. Seriously, those nice folks buying the LX new are called Doctors and Lawyers. Lol, Just joking but I cant imagine it will not continue to get subtle improvments and production. Here in Iraq there are TONS of old toyotas everywhere. Many Landcruisers here also. I hope they do not make it any larger. Also the toyota "prada" or something to that effect. It looks like a GX. Little smaller and I am not sure what engine is in it. I looked at the Gwagon also, but reliability is so valuable. I think that toyota name speaks for itself when it comes to starting every time, something I dont really feel you can say about some german vehicles... (lol, Sold those parts for quite some time, good business, many customers!)

Last edited by ArmyJoe; 06-13-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 04:05 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

The Land Cruiser Prado is sold in NA as the Lexus GX
Old 06-13-06, 08:00 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently in Australia (and perhaps other markets, not sure) they still sill a new version of the old-school design Land Cruiser 70 series. Here's the Land Cruiser 78 which debuted in 1998 or so.

Now if I needed a hardcore dependable 4 wheel drive in a desert terrain, this'd be my choice!

Toyota Australia- Land Cruiser 78
Old 06-13-06, 09:44 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aedgington
The Land Cruiser Prado is sold in NA as the Lexus GX
In Pakistan, billions of those. Also the Land cruiser Cygnus is big there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j1i_DvchBks&search=lexus

Check that out!
Old 06-14-06, 11:42 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

The LC 70 series was sold in Japan until a couple of years ago (not the troopy pictured, but a 2-door FRP top and 4-door hardtop only available in Japan). The version outside Japan is the LC78 (troopy) and 79 (pickup). BTW, they are made at the same plant as the LC100 and LX470, according in LC mag May 06 (LC factory tour).
Old 06-18-06, 04:27 AM
CACressida
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
The LC 70 series was sold in Japan until a couple of years ago (not the troopy pictured, but a 2-door FRP top and 4-door hardtop only available in Japan). The version outside Japan is the LC78 (troopy) and 79 (pickup). BTW, they are made at the same plant as the LC100 and LX470, according in LC mag May 06 (LC factory tour).
Actually, here's where your wrong. The 2 door fiber top LandCruiser 70 series sells today in one week equivalent to what it would sell in japan in 1 year. That market its sold in would be the Middle Eastern Market. 4 countries consume more of these: Yemen, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Oman. The 70 series in MEDM comes in hard top, soft top, and fiber top. You can order them with A/C, fender flares, CD players, locking differentials and a winch. A jerry can comes standard on the MEDM FZJ-70s wich is bolted right beside the spare tire.

In the Middle East, mainly the 4 countries above, the 100 and 105 series LandCruiser and LX470 wich is not available as a 105 series sells alot too. The LandCruiser itself comes with many different options. You can also option for the LandCruiser VX-R Limtied wich triumphs in LX470 territory. The LandCruiser VX-R has hydraulic jacks on each corner of the rig wich are there to help balance the truck for when its parked on loose dirt or if you want to replace a flat tire. It also comes loaded with an fridge under the armrest, Altimeter, inclinometer, and one more guage i forgot cuz its been about a year since I seen one overthere.

Did I mention you can get a 5sod manual with that V8

The GX and GX-R come standard with I-6 engines wich are used in the LC-70 and 75 series in Arabia and were used in the FZJ-80s (LandCruiser 93-1997/LX450). I don't see the Middle Easter market excepting the Sequoia or gussied up Sequoia. Toyota sells far to many LC100s including LX470s so I can see them living a long and healthy life. If those of you remember the Toyota Cressida, the car that was Lexus before Lexus, it was discontinued in 92 on American soil, discontinued in Australia in 93 and it was discontinued in Arabia in 96. Anyone see a pattern?

In other words, the Cressida lasted 4 more years in Arabia because of strong sales for this car. Even today, they find it hard to accept the front wheel drive Avalon. So I can predict that the 100s will probably last longer in the Middle EAst than the othe rMarkets.

My two cents...
Old 06-20-06, 04:46 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Apparently in Australia (and perhaps other markets, not sure) they still sill a new version of the old-school design Land Cruiser 70 series. Here's the Land Cruiser 78 which debuted in 1998 or so.

Now if I needed a hardcore dependable 4 wheel drive in a desert terrain, this'd be my choice!

Toyota Australia- Land Cruiser 78
That truck is a classic!

My wife and I are torn between buying a GX or an LX this winter. It's nice to know that some owners are getting 15mpg with their LX!
Old 06-20-06, 09:27 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

I got 16 mpg on my last tank of 91 octane, virtually all city driving, A/C going all the time (light foot).
Old 06-21-06, 08:55 AM
tella
Driver

I get 17mpg using octane 87 on my 2006 LX. The SUV is only two months old.

Quick Reply: So is anybody actually buy LXs new anymore?