LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

So is anybody actually buy LXs new anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 07:08 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So is anybody actually buy LXs new anymore?

I believe this is the last year of their production, and they definitely seem to be getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak - they need a makeover/redesign badly, especially with the new Benz and Escalade competition coming out - those are so really nice vehicles and to be honest the only thing I can say the LX offers over them is reliability - but even so - at what price premium?
Old 05-23-06, 08:10 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Offroad capability+reliability in extreme conditions (130F isn't uncommon in S. Africa and in the mid east along w/ blowing dust/sand. We don't even see those conditions here in AZ, let alone anywhere else in the Americas. You don't see people using domestics in those places, 'cause they know if you break down in the middle of nowhere, you'll likely die...no AAA, no cell phone access, nothing. People in other countries also keep their vehicles much longer...10, 20, 30+ years. Not many vehicles will hold up that long.
Old 05-23-06, 08:12 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Offroad capability+reliability in extreme conditions (130F isn't uncommon in S. Africa and in the mid east along w/ blowing dust/sand. We don't even see those conditions here in AZ, let alone anywhere else in the Americas. You don't see people using domestics in those places, 'cause they know if you break down in the middle of nowhere, you'll likely die...no AAA, no cell phone access, nothing. People in other countries also keep their vehicles much longer...10, 20, 30+ years. Not many vehicles will hold up that long.
I've seen a lot of domestic SUVs in use in the mid-east, but you're right, in Africa Toyota seems to be very dominant (though not necessarily the Lexus LX or Yota LC in particular)
Old 05-23-06, 08:37 AM
royk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read somewhere a LONG time ago that the Toyota Land Cruiser in all generations was the favourite vehicle for insurgents, NGOs and mercenaries on all continents - must mean something in terms of durability and reliability!
Old 05-23-06, 11:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are TONS and TONS of new LX's here in the Atlanta area. It seems like every other one that I see is an '06, which bodes well for the truck. I think that when they first came out, there was something like a 75% surge in sales over the '05s.
Old 05-23-06, 03:42 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

I bought a new one 6 months ago and I haven't seen any official info to say that there won't be a 2007 LX.
Old 05-23-06, 08:28 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by royk
Read somewhere a LONG time ago that the Toyota Land Cruiser in all generations was the favourite vehicle for insurgents, NGOs and mercenaries on all continents - must mean something in terms of durability and reliability!
Yep. I saw a video on CNN that showed masked gunmen riding in a LC60 in the desert (so it's 20+ yrs old). The cruiser stopped, they all jumped out bearing guns. There was also another video of the afghan pres. getting chauffered in his blue LX470! In those place, your life depends on reliable wheels.
Old 05-23-06, 08:39 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

my mom will be looking for a new car at the end of this year (christmas) she wants a bigger Lexus SUV, either the GX or LX, right now she ownes a 2001 RX. It will be just her driving the car mainly but she wants a big SUV, something that she can sit up high in. But my dad wants her to get a car, the 07 ES, or the RX 330/350. He really likes those, but she doesnt want another RX because she now wants something with a 3rd. row seat, dont know why but thats whats she wants, So basically she confused in weather to get a GX,LX,ES,RX so........ we'll see in a few months
Old 05-24-06, 07:08 AM
chip99
Rookie

hey i got my 06 about 9 months ago (very happy ) even after a few quality control problems as for people buying new ones there are now 3 06's at my daughters daycare that i se every morning either the old ones are coming off lease or just trading up. we live in the north east so the escalade won't do in the snow i do see a lot of navigator's but most go for the range rover or the infinity.
Old 05-24-06, 07:09 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Sounds like the LX is the most suitable. I've driven the loaner '05, '06 RX 330's and there's no comparison. The build quality of the LX is superior, seating position gives a commanding view of the road, more comfortable for long drives, a lot more space. The GX looks to seriously lack room, plus the 3rd row seats fold up high, creating a huge blind spot that you don't get on the LX.
Old 05-24-06, 07:17 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

The new Escalade seems like its AWD system may be pretty impressive and capable, really.
Old 05-24-06, 08:34 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife would love a new LX but it's so small compared to the Navigator, Escalade and QX56. I know a lot of people like their LXs small but Lexus already has a small SUV. The GX.. I hope the new replacement LX is much bigger.. Sequoia size would be fine...
Old 05-24-06, 08:42 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

You could look at the monthly sales reports that toyota puts out and compare it to the year before and other months.

LX470s Own! RR? Escalade? come on now, sure they may be "better" but who are we going to see on a flatbed sooner? not a lx.
Old 05-27-06, 09:06 PM
tella
Driver

I bought a brand new one three weeks ago and love it.
Old 05-31-06, 12:05 PM
royk
Driver School Candidate

We leased ours brand new in October and have been very happy with it. Didn't even consider any of the domestics or the Infiniti QX - especially after researching.

Another reason why we got the LX though: it fits in our garage! Well, barely...need to lower the suspension and fold the mirrors. We love our house but it is 40 years old and back in '64 when it was built, there wasn't such a thing as an SUV!

The new Mercedes GL450 (7,500 lb. towing capacity) would make an interesting replacement after our 30 months are up, or if Lexus comes out with a replacement model. But contrary to some of the other opinions expressed here, I hope they DON'T make it bigger. As long as it'll tow my race car on a trailer as it already does, it fits the bill nicely.

Quick Reply: So is anybody actually buy LXs new anymore?