LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

water leak in my LX450

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 12:01 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water leak in my LX450

I've got a water leak in my 97 LX450 which seems to keep recurring. I brought it to the dealer 4 times, each time insisting that they fixed it. It apparently worked for a couple of months and now the problem is back, with rain pouring down hard in Miami. I'm thinking about doing a DIY on this one, taking into my own hands. Has anybody had this problem as well? Does anyone know what it might be? Anything would be appreciated, THANKS!

--Jonathan
Old 06-11-06, 12:19 PM
20blks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the water coming in from?
Old 06-11-06, 10:24 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 20blks
Where is the water coming in from?
Haha sorry, I forgot to add that part. It is leaking onto the floor of the front passenger seat carpet. It is leaking in through one of the interior side panels where there is an opening at the bottom, but I don't know where it's entering from the exterior. Do you have any ideas?
Old 06-12-06, 02:12 AM
20blks
Driver School Candidate

I have/had the same problem. I had my windshield removed and resealed. It hasn't rained yet so I can't say if it worked or not. The dealership told me that because my windshield was aftermarket, it must not be sealed properly. If this doesn't work, I may have to pay the lexus dealer 1200 for the original windshield. I also get a ton of water coming in from the center console on the roof of the car.
The following users liked this post:
QuattroV8 (07-15-20)
Old 06-12-06, 07:33 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

I have/had the same problem. I had my windshield removed and resealed. It hasn't rained yet so I can't say if it worked or not. The dealership told me that because my windshield was aftermarket, it must not be sealed properly. If this doesn't work, I may have to pay the lexus dealer 1200 for the original windshield. I also get a ton of water coming in from the center console on the roof of the car.
Wow, that's awful man. I'm sorry. It's ironic because they told me to do the same thing, but I had mine replaced with the original Lexus windshield. This didn't work and the leak persisted. I am running out of ideas but I am going to find out how to fix this leak. I'll keep u posted
Old 06-19-06, 01:28 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

check the windshield again.

a very easy way to check is to stuff a tissue or napkin in the very edge of the dash in the corner where the dash doesn't quite meet the windshield. you should see a small gap there. stuff the paper in there and either wait for rain or turn the hose on the windshield.

if that's not it, try the moonroof drains. make sure those are empty. if there's somthing clogging that, it could be overflowing.
Old 06-19-06, 07:24 AM
Rexdr
Pole Position

I'm having the same issue also. Oh btw, I just picked up a 2002 with 50k on it, navi, dvd, etc. Anyway, I was having more of a drip on the passenger seat floor. My wife said drops of water were hitting her feet. But get this....it wasn't raining, and it was actually a hot day. I was thinking it was condensation from the a/c filter, but that's assuming that there is even a filter, and that it's on the passenger seat floor, or under/behind the glove compartment. I still have to check it out. I didn't right away because it was like 10 drops of water total, and then it stopped.
The following users liked this post:
QuattroV8 (07-15-20)
Old 06-19-06, 09:19 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rexdr
I'm having the same issue also. Oh btw, I just picked up a 2002 with 50k on it, navi, dvd, etc. Anyway, I was having more of a drip on the passenger seat floor. My wife said drops of water were hitting her feet. But get this....it wasn't raining, and it was actually a hot day. I was thinking it was condensation from the a/c filter, but that's assuming that there is even a filter, and that it's on the passenger seat floor, or under/behind the glove compartment. I still have to check it out. I didn't right away because it was like 10 drops of water total, and then it stopped.
That's what I was thinking too. I took a trip to ATL this past weekend and it's still wet. I'm thinking the AC might have something to do with it, but I can't be sure. I'm gonna try Doug's suggestions and see what happens. I washed my LX about a week ago and the carpet was soaked after being completely dry so I'm thinking it is leak somewhere. Kepp ya guys posted after I get some answers.
Old 02-12-20, 04:06 PM
HuttHouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water coming through the floor

I have water coming all up through the floor of the passenger and driver side. Its been raining pretty hard for the past week and I found the carpet on the floor to be soaking. The hard plastic floor mats covering the entire area on both sides were perfectly dry on top but below was soaking. I couldn't find any leaks on the sides and and the bottom of the car seems intact. Anyone have any ideas where the water is coming from? (Checked windshield, sunroof, both side doors and windows already)
Old 09-21-20, 08:14 AM
BBishop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HuttHouse
I have water coming all up through the floor of the passenger and driver side. Its been raining pretty hard for the past week and I found the carpet on the floor to be soaking. The hard plastic floor mats covering the entire area on both sides were perfectly dry on top but below was soaking. I couldn't find any leaks on the sides and and the bottom of the car seems intact. Anyone have any ideas where the water is coming from? (Checked windshield, sunroof, both side doors and windows already)
I’m having the sam problem. Did you ever resolve this on yours ?
Old 09-21-20, 07:17 PM
HuttHouse
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, clogged drain from the sun roof. Had a mechanic fix mine.
Old 09-22-20, 09:34 AM
BBishop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HuttHouse
Yeah, clogged drain from the sun roof. Had a mechanic fix mine.
Thanks for the response.
Well, sunroof drains are clear, my windshield has been resealed, the doors drain fine, and the firewall under the cowling is not leaking.
So, I’m still looking...
Old 11-16-20, 06:40 AM
Harish
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ac drain line is clogged which is forcing condensation into your passenger side floorboard. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-20, 09:00 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Aftermarket or OEM makes no difference. What makes a difference is the installation. Sounds like whoever installed the aftermarket piece didn't know what they were doing...that's not uncommon given the relative scarcity of Land Cruisers and LX. If you need another windshield, call the dealer and ask who does their windshield installations, and call that person.

Originally Posted by Harish
Ac drain line is clogged which is forcing condensation into your passenger side floorboard. Hope this helps.
That's probably the cause.