LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Crank Hold

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 08:19 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crank Hold

Hello All!

I have been reading through my 2003 LX brochure trying to find out if this vehicle has the crank hold feature like the 2003 GX. I have gone online to LCPO.com and cannot find it listed in the model lineup. Can any of you confirm this feature is on the '03 LX?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-06, 08:53 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson
Hello All!

I have been reading through my 2003 LX brochure trying to find out if this vehicle has the crank hold feature like the 2003 GX. I have gone online to LCPO.com and cannot find it listed in the model lineup. Can any of you confirm this feature is on the '03 LX?

Thanks!
Just try it on your LX. On my 06 GX, all I have to do is to barely turn the key to the start position, release and the engine cranks until it starts. The problem is now when I drive another vehicle and do this, the engine never starts so I have to hold the key in the start position till it fires up. Kind of got spoiled from the GX.
Old 08-04-06, 12:27 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, my 03 LX has this feature. I believe it debuted on the LX in 03.
Old 08-04-06, 04:11 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Just try it on your LX. On my 06 GX, all I have to do is to barely turn the key to the start position, release and the engine cranks until it starts. The problem is now when I drive another vehicle and do this, the engine never starts so I have to hold the key in the start position till it fires up. Kind of got spoiled from the GX.
I would love to, but we don't own a Lexus SUV yet. My wife test drove a 2002 LX last year, but we do not want to buy that year because of all the changes made beginning with the 03 MY. We have test driven an 04 GX and she really liked it, so now I'm researching both the 03 LX and 04 GX. Let me ask you this, as an LX owner, would you buy one again or would you go with a GX?
Old 08-04-06, 04:14 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Great, thank you! The 03 LX also has the folding mirrors like the LS430, right?

Thank you again!
Old 08-05-06, 12:17 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by Jayson
Great, thank you! The 03 LX also has the folding mirrors like the LS430, right?

Thank you again!
Yes, you can fold them. They don't fold automatically like virtually all the cars in Japan (narrow parking spaces).

I would buy the LX over the GX based on build. The LX uses the Landcruiser 100 chassis while the GX uses the 4runner/Prado chassis. The 100 chassis is much heavier duty. I have a pic in one of my landcruiser magazines and the lower front suspension arms on the LC100/LX are at least twice as thick as that on the Prado/GX. The Prado overseas is the same as the GX sold here but w/ the 4 liter V6 rather than the V8. LX has more room inside; GX seems kind of cramped, looks top-heavy from the rear, and that ridiculous side-opening rear tailgate design. Also, an ex-Lexus mechanic who frequents ih8mud (LC forum) said he has driven and worked on both, and the hydraulic AHC in the LX is a much better design than the KDSS in the GX.
Old 08-06-06, 09:02 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow

My '98 Land Cruiser had it as well, so I think it's been around longer than that.
Old 08-06-06, 10:25 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2000 LX doesnt have the crank hold feature. Then again either does my 05 LS430 if i remember correctly, or I might just hold the key subconciously.

If funding was avaliable, I would definately get a new LX over the GX. It might just be that im loyal to the LX model, but the few times ive been in the GX i feel like im in a raised minivan or something. They feel weird to me and personally i hate that huge barn door like tailgate. If you Garage your truck and its a tight fit you probably couldnt open it fully. I have a pretty small squeeze in my garage because of the pushbar on the front and shelves on the inside wall of the garage. But with that said i could go down right now and open the top and bottom quite easily without having to move anything.

Also having the fold down tailgate it protects your bumper/weather striping from damage while loading stuff in the cargo area.

But in the end, they are both Lexus vehicles and are both top quality. It truely comes down to personal preference and which suits your life-style more. You should test drive both a 03 LX and a 04 GX, if thats what your deciding upon, and go from there. Not only test drive it though, open the doors, pretend to load things, check the blind spots on and overall do a full comparison based on yourself and i think you will be able to decide. Us telling you what we prefer doesnt really do you any good if in the end, it doesnt fit your lifestyle.
Old 08-07-06, 09:07 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Well, the 06 ES and RX definitely don't have the ignition hold feature as on the loaner cars I've gotten, I'd turn the key and release it the starter would stop turning. Guess one gets spoiled in the LX. Fit and finish of the ES & RX are definitely not up to the same level as the LX; can't say about the GX since I've never driven one. However, looking at the rear jump seats, they do fold up higher than those on the LX, so I think there would be a large blind spot there. Also, I only have a 2-car garage, but I can still open the tail gate/rear hatch w/ the garage door closed...no way I could do that w/ a swing-out tail gate. BTW, I did 3 years of research, followed the LC, 4runner, and GX/LX forums religiously seeing what problems the newer and older vehicles were running into. I never even considered the GX. The main reason why I got the LX over the LC was the price was virtually the same, yet you get a lot more, and it even comes out cheaper by the time you add on all the options.

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
my 2000 LX doesnt have the crank hold feature. Then again either does my 05 LS430 if i remember correctly, or I might just hold the key subconciously.

If funding was avaliable, I would definately get a new LX over the GX. It might just be that im loyal to the LX model, but the few times ive been in the GX i feel like im in a raised minivan or something. They feel weird to me and personally i hate that huge barn door like tailgate. If you Garage your truck and its a tight fit you probably couldnt open it fully. I have a pretty small squeeze in my garage because of the pushbar on the front and shelves on the inside wall of the garage. But with that said i could go down right now and open the top and bottom quite easily without having to move anything.

Also having the fold down tailgate it protects your bumper/weather striping from damage while loading stuff in the cargo area.

But in the end, they are both Lexus vehicles and are both top quality. It truely comes down to personal preference and which suits your life-style more. You should test drive both a 03 LX and a 04 GX, if thats what your deciding upon, and go from there. Not only test drive it though, open the doors, pretend to load things, check the blind spots on and overall do a full comparison based on yourself and i think you will be able to decide. Us telling you what we prefer doesnt really do you any good if in the end, it doesnt fit your lifestyle.