LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Might Be in the Market for a 2007 LX...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 02:57 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might Be in the Market for a 2007 LX...

I've started making early inquiries, now that I know the LX470 will live on for another year before the JX/VX/whateverX Lexus is going to unveil arrives. My interest is in a suburban family hauler--no off-roading or towing heavy loads. I've had RX's as loaners and found them too small and basic, and don't care for the looks of the GX, so the LX is the logical choice. I'd like some help from current owners on the following questions:

1) How noticeable is it that this truck is riding on a very old design? I am concerned that it may be lacking in some of the little things that Lexus has done to make very significant improvements in the overall driving experience.

2) What are opinions on the Night View system? It bothers me that the LX still doesn't offer xenon HIDs, but if this infrared system really works then it won't bother me so much.

3) What pet peeves do you have or things you wish Lexus had done differently in the design? If these "push my buttons" too then I may end up waiting another year, although I'd really prefer to get a new vehicle sooner than that.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-29-06, 08:44 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I have a 1999 LX470. Its great in every way possible. I have drove my cousins 2003 LX470 in the nights of Colorado, the night view is great and will not distract your driving a bit! I don't have any thoughts on what Lexus could do diffrent, the car is great, even the 1999 campared to a 2007!

You can't go wrong with the LX!

+

My only pet peeve is that, I wish Lexus had put Led tailights on the 1999 has well!

LOL
Old 08-30-06, 03:59 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the positive review! I think I'm going to swing by the dealer today to look at colors and whatnot. I'll keep the board posted!
Old 08-30-06, 08:35 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would submit that an existing LX rides as well, if not better than more recent designs such as the QX from Infiniti.

It's a solid overengineered platform and it does a great job eliminating the "truckiness" feel you get when driving the truck based platforms of other competitors.

Remember, the LX (Land Cruiser) platform is truly a Land Cruiser, not like the Infiniti, Ford and GM premium SUVs that are based on their pick-up truck platforms.

The only tell-tale sign of the "mature" platform is the design of the third row seats. Most of the competitors have more sophisticated designs that allow the third seat to disappear without having to remove them. As long as the LX is based on a Land Cruiser platform, I'm not sure you'll see that change. Having rear seats disappear into the floor may affect underbody space that would ulimately impact ground clearance and off-roadability. While the LX is a premium luxury vehicle, underneath all of that leather and electronics, lies a world class off-road vehicle.

Just drive one, and then drive the competition.
Old 08-30-06, 01:15 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I've started making early inquiries, now that I know the LX470 will live on for another year before the JX/VX/whateverX Lexus is going to unveil arrives. My interest is in a suburban family hauler--no off-roading or towing heavy loads. I've had RX's as loaners and found them too small and basic, and don't care for the looks of the GX, so the LX is the logical choice. I'd like some help from current owners on the following questions:

2) What are opinions on the Night View system? It bothers me that the LX still doesn't offer xenon HIDs, but if this infrared system really works then it won't bother me so much.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I am so glad you asked about the Lexus Night view System. CL Member Jim Chow has been kind enough to answer all my questions and I'm sure he'll chime in here this evening. That option is a $2200 option new and has been since 2003 when it was first introduced. In our recent quest to find a used LX, we are trying to decide if that's an option worth paying for or if it's something we can live without.
Old 08-30-06, 05:37 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I went to the dealer today and looked over a 2006 LX in detail. It was even in galactic gray mica, the color I most wanted, but lacked things like the night view and rear-seat entertainment system that I want.

Did you catch the change of tense in that last sentence? "Wanted"? Unfortunately, after looking at the LX up close and personal, I've decided to hold off. It's funny that Gohawks63 mentioned the 3rd row seats, because that was one of the things that disappointed me. Even the salesman had trouble folding them up, as it takes a very awkward reach and a series of non-intuitive steps. I thought that the second row seats were a little cramped in the legroom department--if you could just pull out the 3rd row completely and move the 2nd row back about 6" that would be ideal!

I also realized that many of the main selling points of the LX, namely its incredible off-road capability, would be wasted on me. I didn't like the lack of HIDs or the presence of an electric antenna (as opposed to one integrated into the rear glass). As alluded to in my first post, I came away feeling that Lexus has done a wonderful job of shoe-horning the latest luxury features into an old design, but that a from-scratch design with all those features seamless integrated would be a much more Lexus-like product.

So I told the salesman that I'll wait to see what 2008 brings, with the rumored JX, VX, or restyled LX. There's nothing else on the market that tempts me enough to make me leave Lexus, so instead I'll just wait a little longer!

FWIW, the salesman tried hard to talk me out of getting the night view and the RSES. He claimed that they are overly expensive, poorly-executed toys. I really think he was trying to convince me to take the 2006 he had on the lot rather than special ordering an '07...
Old 08-30-06, 06:08 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

FWIW, the salesman tried hard to talk me out of getting the night view and the RSES. He claimed that they are overly expensive, poorly-executed toys. I really think he was trying to convince me to take the 2006 he had on the lot rather than special ordering an '07...
We have a 2006 in classic silver (galactic grey was our second choice) and we absolutely love the rig.

It sounds like you've made up your mind already but I felt compelled to add in my 2 cents.

I agree with your salesman. The nightview and the RSES are huge wastes of money.

While it is rediculous that the LX still doesn't have HID headlamps, the headlights on the LX are quite good. Moreover, they can be readily upgraded through a number of vendors to HID headlamps that are simply outstanding. And IMO, a better alternative than the Night View system.

There are already a multitude of better in car DVD players available for an LX from cheap hang between the seats options to in headrest options. Most of which are cheaper than the Lexus unit, have better functionality and perhaps most importantly (a) don't block rear view vision and (b) can be more readily changed as technology changes.

I will also say that the only complaints that I really have about the LX are the third row seats. We find them to be an akward, heavy design that is severly compromised at best. I've even just taken the damn things out since we rarely, rarely use them.
Old 08-30-06, 06:48 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

The LX is a great off-roading machine!

The 2006 Land Cruiser won 4wheeler of the year award!

The nightview is only a good idea if you travel on roads with out street lights!

but it is still cool if you have the money!
Old 08-30-06, 08:39 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I went to the dealer today and looked over a 2006 LX in detail. It was even in galactic gray mica, the color I most wanted, but lacked things like the night view and rear-seat entertainment system that I want.

Sounds like a typical salesperson. They will try and sell snowballs in January.
Bunch of parasites.
Old 08-30-06, 08:48 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you catch the change of tense in that last sentence? "Wanted"? Unfortunately, after looking at the LX up close and personal, I've decided to hold off. It's funny that Gohawks63 mentioned the 3rd row seats, because that was one of the things that disappointed me. Even the salesman had trouble folding them up, as it takes a very awkward reach and a series of non-intuitive steps. I thought that the second row seats were a little cramped in the legroom department--if you could just pull out the 3rd row completely and move the 2nd row back about 6" that would be ideal!

I also realized that many of the main selling points of the LX, namely its incredible off-road capability, would be wasted on me. I didn't like the lack of HIDs or the presence of an electric antenna (as opposed to one integrated into the rear glass). As alluded to in my first post, I came away feeling that Lexus has done a wonderful job of shoe-horning the latest luxury features into an old design, but that a from-scratch design with all those features seamless integrated would be a much more Lexus-like product.

So I told the salesman that I'll wait to see what 2008 brings, with the rumored JX, VX, or restyled LX. There's nothing else on the market that tempts me enough to make me leave Lexus, so instead I'll just wait a little longer!

The Landcruiser and LX470 would be a waste of money for you, which you have already figured out. Based on your needs you should look at a mini-van, I think it will fill all your needs and save you a ton of $$$. Check out the Honda and Toyota brands. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-30-06, 08:51 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

I would only buy a LX and Land Cruiser for the hardcore off-roading!

I think a 2007 Chevy Suburban should suit you well or even a Mercedes GL450!
Old 08-30-06, 10:28 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

I can't speak for the night vision, but I do agree with him on the RSES. I have it and if I had to do it over again, I would go aftermarket. The location of the actual player is in an awkward location. It's on the right side just behind the passenger door. A folded up third row seat covers it up. You have to loosen the strap, and move the seat down to change a disk. If you decide not to use the headphones and go through the FM modulator, you'll be disappointed. Not a very clear signal.

With that said, after having my Land Cuier 2.5 years, I would buy another (or an LX).
Old 08-31-06, 04:01 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

While it's true that a minivan would pretty much fit the bill, both my wife and I are "ugly Americans" who can't see ourselves driving one. While both the Odyssey and Sienna are wonderful vehicles, we just have a strong emotional reaction against taking that step.

It's things like the awkward third row seats, questionably-executed night vision system, compromised RSES (that apparently takes away the dome lights as well as having the player located in an inconvenient place), and dismal fuel economy (even compared to other big SUVs, which is understandable given the aging engine design) that are driving me to wait.

I'm glad that no one is taking my decision as a dig against the LX in general or a repudiation of their own decision to get one. It's just not the right vehicle for me right now, and I'm pleased that the owner community here is so friendly and helpful!
Old 08-31-06, 07:49 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

While it's true that a minivan would pretty much fit the bill, both my wife and I are "ugly Americans" who can't see ourselves driving one. While both the Odyssey and Sienna are wonderful vehicles, we just have a strong emotional reaction against taking that step.

It's things like the awkward third row seats, questionably-executed night vision system, compromised RSES (that apparently takes away the dome lights as well as having the player located in an inconvenient place), and dismal fuel economy (even compared to other big SUVs, which is understandable given the aging engine design) that are driving me to wait.

I'm glad that no one is taking my decision as a dig against the LX in general or a repudiation of their own decision to get one. It's just not the right vehicle for me right now, and I'm pleased that the owner community here is so friendly and helpful!

I hear you on the mini-van. not the right image Have you looked at the Sequoia, they are the Suburban competitor. Bigger then the LX and more Van featured. You can load them up with features and stuff. Good luck.
Old 08-31-06, 08:03 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Just one follow up point where I do disagree with you.

Our 2006 LX is averaging 14-15 mpg in mixed driving. While that's certainly not great gas mileage, it's a lot better than I expected to get. And frankly, when you compare it to the real world gas mileage of other large SUV's that are full time AWD or have any real off road ability (read Range Rover/Land Rover, Hummer, and the old Benz G class) that's actually very good gas mileage. It's also better than my co-workers are getting in their Infiniti QX and Chevy Tahoes. And neither of those are even 4WD.

The LX is not a perfect SUV, to be sure. But it's bulletproof, very well built and IMO one of the great buys available right now. That is, if you don't need the 3rd seat option that often.

Quick Reply: Might Be in the Market for a 2007 LX...