LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Should I turbocharge or supercharge...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-01, 01:08 PM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And what is the difference. Also, what are the adverse side effects on the engine, I don't want my car to die on me anytime soon. I'm sick of people with crappy cars whose only argument against mine is "my car is faster". From what I know there is nothing bad about a exhaust and a K&N air filter which should add a little. Anyone else have any suggestions keeping in mind I want my car to last. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Francis K; 03-27-01 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-11-01, 01:55 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Francis-
A Turbocharger runs off of you exhaust manifold and a supercharger runs of your belt. A supercharger is always on through your whole rpm range. A turbo has to spool up and the it will boost at a certain rpm and before this point you can have turbo lag.

IMO I would say the a supercharger would be your best bet if you concerned about reliabilty. I snagged this from trdusa.com.
Q: Does the supercharger reduce the life of the engine?

A: TRD has conducted hundreds of hours of continuous full-throttle dynamometer testing to measure the supercharger’s effect on engine life. After these tests, TRD was able to conclude that the supercharger does not reduce engine life, as there was no noticeable additional wear on the engine’s critical parts, such as pistons, rings, valves and bearings
Im sure someone else could do a better job explaining how it all works..
Old 04-11-01, 01:14 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default ....

Thank you so much, it mean a lot to me that sombody finally fufilled my dream and responded!
Old 05-06-01, 10:07 AM
lextek
Driver

Default super or turbo?

Don't do either, the 450 is just too much of a pig. We have a customer that spent well over 3k on supercharger, just does not validate spending that kind of money for an extremely marginal gain.
Old 05-11-01, 02:58 PM
rob_28

My question is why? I mean why even bother super-charging or turbo-charging your LX450?

If you want to be faster then all those crappy cars then get something you can make faster.

Let me put it to you this way a stock crappy car i.e. Trans Am WS6 LS1, will destroy your SUV with or without forced induction.

I have read you’re other posts and I can definitely tell that you are not a fan of American cars. That’s fine you are initialed to your opinion, however don’t be mad that they are faster then your SUV, they were designed to be faster.

But if you want to be faster then get another vehicle, plain and simple. If want a Lexus modify a SC300, at least that car has the potential to faster then mustangs and camaro/firebirds.
Old 05-11-01, 09:06 PM
Francis K
Racer

Arrow Yea, your right Rob

I've kinda given up on makin my LX faster. Now I can concentrate on making it look better! I wish I could somehow convert the headlights to the LX470 but I'm pretty sure that can't be done conventionally. Hmmm, what could i do? What would you guys do?
Old 05-12-01, 04:14 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

I was at the drag strip in Vegas a few months ago and there was a supercharged ford excursion. My friends and I were all laughing thinking it was going to run 20+sec (we didnt know it was supercharged yet) The thing ran a 16 sec flat run! Pretty dam fast for a Excursion
Attached Thumbnails Should I turbocharge or supercharge...-dsc0020.jpg  
Old 05-13-01, 10:51 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default It might be a bit fast...

but it's still a mochery of an automobile
Old 05-14-01, 07:17 AM
rob_28

Default Re: It might be a bit fast...

Originally posted by Francis K
but it's still a mochery of an automobile
What makes it a mockery? Please fill us in. I'll tell you what your negative attitude for American made vehicles makes me sick. First of all in the SUV and Truck market no other car manufactures come close compared to GM, Ford, Dodge. Most people on this forum come here to learn more about their cars and talk with others car enthusiasts, why don’t you keep your worthless comments to yourself. I don’t believe they are needed or welcome on this forum. With every post you definitely show your age, what is it again 16?

Please if you have information that I don’t educate me and tell me what makes the Excursion a mockery of a vehicle?

Old 05-14-01, 12:07 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Francis, who do you think you are??? You are an imature spoiled 16 year old!! Don't talk trash about other peoples cars when you yourself are driving a vehicle that is rusting, breaking down every day, and underpowered (YOUR WORDS, NOT MINE). As far as all these modifications that you want to do to your car, it will probably never happen. Some of these are actually funny, converting your headlights to those of the 470, supercharging, rims, etc. By the time you pay for all this, you might as well have traded your 450 in and bought a 470. As far as no one on this site that drives an LX which you have said many times, there are a bunch of us, we just work to pay for OUR vehicles and dont have time to cry about our cars on clublexus. So Francis, dont put down other peoples cars and remember, people drive what they can afford, not everyone is lucky for their parents to buy them a 450!!!
Old 05-14-01, 12:23 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Whoa whoa...

I never meant to put down anyone's car, I just don't like the excursion. Where did all of this come from? I don't hate American trucks, I own a Chevy S-10.

Oh, and I'm 17 hehe. And I'm leaving for work right now, what is wrong with you guys, don't talk when you don't know what your saying, your talking about my OPINIONS and look what your saying. By the way, I just got new center caps to replace my rusted ones, my LX is running perfect, I just got a TV for my ride and I just bought a radar detector. You guys have me all wrong. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I don't udnerstand why you guys lashed out at me like that.
Old 05-14-01, 07:59 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Thanks sick, you always know what to say..

Hey, where's the next meet your gonna be at? I live in MI and I know you live in Atlanta, somthing needs to be organized in our neck of the woods.