LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

22's question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 05:24 PM
playboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22's question

what size tires and what size width should i be looking at?

if anyone has 22's can you post up pics and does it rub at all?
Old 10-04-06, 08:11 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a huge fan of "to each their own" but honestly... why?

22's on an LX470 is like lowering a Jeep Wrangler.

You're going to hurt the ride, hurt the acceleration, hurt the braking, and make the car less off road and on road worthy.

But do what makes you happy.
Old 10-04-06, 10:01 AM
playboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Da Hapa

You're going to hurt the ride, hurt the acceleration, hurt the braking, and make the car less off road and on road worthy.

because i can...
Old 10-04-06, 08:27 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Da Hapa

Thats the response I got when I put a Safari Snorkel on my car. There are a couple member that have 22s on there LX and one that has 24's I think. So just look into that.

The Picture Gallery has some pics!
Old 10-04-06, 09:55 PM
playboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VAL678
Thats the response I got when I put a Safari Snorkel on my car. There are a couple member that have 22s on there LX and one that has 24's I think. So just look into that.

The Picture Gallery has some pics!
yeah i did, i just want to know tire sizes and rim widths. I'd like 24's but not sure on the rubbing.
Old 10-05-06, 03:24 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default ...

I don't know about tires but the first thing I would suggest is looking into selling your car for a escalade or navigator.
Old 10-05-06, 03:58 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Or a bouncing El Camino. That would be tight, get your dirty roll on, foo.
Old 10-05-06, 04:09 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Wow guys go easy on him, I think "not my taste but whatever floats your boat" is enough!

The LX is a huge truck and people are now doing 26" wheels all day long, heck 22" wheels are now standard on some SUV's. 20 or 22" is cool for a LX (IMO), I think 24" is pushing it (really small tires)
Old 10-05-06, 04:44 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

22' IS ok FOR lX470... JUST NOT THOSE CHEAP BLING BLINGS...
at least get some Iforged from D2??
Old 10-06-06, 04:53 PM
playboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Wow guys go easy on him, I think "not my taste but whatever floats your boat" is enough!

The LX is a huge truck and people are now doing 26" wheels all day long, heck 22" wheels are now standard on some SUV's. 20 or 22" is cool for a LX (IMO), I think 24" is pushing it (really small tires)
oh i got thick skin i knew i would get flamed specially when i own a 4x4. lol!

someone over at D2 get me pricing on some 22's please

dalatn@gmail.com
Old 10-13-06, 10:26 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i might be a few days late, but if you go with large wheels i would like to suggest you upgrade your brakes. StopTech makes a 14" rotor BBK for the LX. that would solve your braking problems if you notice a decreased performance.

here is a picture comparing 22" wheels on the right to my stock 16" tires. the guy on the right was running a 305/something/22. He had florida plates but said the truck rides absolutely terrible up here in the northeast. Said it slowed him down all around but helped cornering. He was an older guy and advised me since i live here in NY not to go with wheels so large.
Old 03-21-07, 05:10 PM
EWOK363
Driver School Candidate

PLAYBOI, have you gotten any answers to this yet? PM me if you have any questions, I think i am one of the few LX owners on here that have 24's (they dont make cookie cutter rims this big for the LX so they were custom made). But Francis K "why not get an escalade or navigator"? Why downgrade when the LX looks so much better and gets more respect in its class than the other two! You should see how many big bodies look at me while i'm driving and they put their heads down with shame because they know this is truly the best big body luxury in its class and they could only pay under $30000 for their cheap domestics that lose so much value after the first month! but like it was said earlier "to each their own". If i had the xtra money to spare, i'd pick up an identical LX and lift that bad boy with 20" on swampers and take it through the trails and mud!
I'll probably get bashed for this but oh well! For the record, I like all styles as long as its done right! except for the big rims on the old schools like monte carlos! thats just fugly!!
Old 03-21-07, 08:00 PM
ArmyJoe
Pole Position

LOL. This thread cracks me up. I have 23s, I have very minor rubbing on the rear interior, mainly when backing/turning @ same time. There are endless points that can be make about who and which and what and how much ect - but becuase you made it clear of what your looking for... I will get you a few details -

I have a 40 series tire - which happend to be on the wheels when I bought them, while they are not Iforged or HRE ect, they are Antera, which can be found for a good price used, but are a pretty serious setback when purchased new. This DOES slow the truck down (if you purchased it as a race car, you missed a few things) and does improve handling (still not a race car). Our LX was cheap at 35k, and still is clean/respecable with the wheels on it. Lexus clearly came to the plate with making wheels larger on thier products with the introduction of the 18 over the previous 16 before. So, if you want your truck to look different, a 22 would be a way to go. I did email D2 while I was in Iraq, and honestly, you can get such a better looking wheel going with them then some others. As you probably already know, finding a 5x150 is NOT easy. I am not a 100% stuck on a 5 spoke, but I purchased mine A. Local and B. for $1500 w/tires - so its hard to complain to much. Not to mention its a the wifes car any ways.

- So if you want a little more forgiving ride- a 22 with a 40 sidewall may be a possibility
It will surely fit -

If you have anything specific, please let me know, but if your looking for real numbers, spec ect - ask D2, thats why they make the big bucks-
Old 03-21-07, 08:04 PM
ArmyJoe
Pole Position

Who asked about a escalade or a navigator? Is it all the crazy to ask about details on some larger wheels?

Originally Posted by Francis K
I don't know about tires but the first thing I would suggest is looking into selling your car for a escalade or navigator.
Way to help out!

It all started at the with the sig - nice cars you have in them, but damm
Old 03-23-07, 11:10 AM
anthonycds
Driver School Candidate

Army Joe, do you have any pics of your 470 w the 23s by any chance?

Quick Reply: 22's question