LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Common Problems in LX 470: Looking to buy 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 09:47 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Problems in LX 470: Looking to buy 1

I'm looking for a 1998-2003 LX 470. I've searched but I've found no info. about what the commons problems on this car are. For myself, I only found the inner CV boot on the passenger tends to leak after 80,000 miles. Could anyone give me a link or any replies to this precious info?

All replies are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-06, 10:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Off the top of my head:
'98-99: throttle position sensor (recall), 2 pinion front diff (weak, can blow if backing up uphill or winching someone from the front), rattling cat converter shield
'00: some transmission failures
'04: nav unit
all years:
- exhaust manifolds can crack at 80-100K mi
- starter contacts need replacing at ~100K mi
- AHC accumulators (globes) can fail if prev. owner used the wrong fluid (dissolves the membrane in the globe that separates the nitrogen and AHC fluid)
- AHC wheel height sensors can rust & fail (if you live in a wet/salty area).

I've only heard of the leaky CV boots on people who crank their t-bars when adding a lift, thus changing the angles.
Old 10-16-06, 10:09 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

I might also add the Nakamichi 6 disc cd changer!

That was my major problem on the 1999 Lexus LX470 + some rust on the AHC sensors like Jim stated.

Very good car overall.
Old 10-17-06, 09:24 PM
LX470Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Off the top of my head:
'98-99: throttle position sensor (recall)

Interesting - do you have any more information on this?

I had the same thing fail on my 2000 LX470 - driving along one day, and all of a sudden, the accelerator pedal just didn't work - press to the floor with no response. I shut down, cranked up again, and it worked, but now intermittently.

So I went straight to the dealer where they kept it for 4days(gave me a loaner) and charged me close to $600.

If this was a known recall issue (even for the previous year), should I have paid anything at all?
Old 10-18-06, 12:48 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by LX470Pilot
Interesting - do you have any more information on this?

I had the same thing fail on my 2000 LX470 - driving along one day, and all of a sudden, the accelerator pedal just didn't work - press to the floor with no response. I shut down, cranked up again, and it worked, but now intermittently.

So I went straight to the dealer where they kept it for 4days(gave me a loaner) and charged me close to $600.

If this was a known recall issue (even for the previous year), should I have paid anything at all?
I think the TPS was a TSB (technical service bulletin) rather than a recall. The difference is, the dealer won't pay to fix it unless it's a recall. Anyways, it's infamous on '98-99's occurs in some 2000's.

From the sleeoffroad's 100 series buyer's guide:

KNOW ISSUES

1998/1999 Accelerator position and throttle position sensors can cause malfunction and cause a situation where the truck does not respond to throttle input.

Starter contact can wear out. The starter is located under the intake manifold.
Old 10-18-06, 12:56 PM
LX470Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Thanx Jim,

I just found slee site last night, and edmunds this morning.

Interesting thing though, the edmunds.com site didn't have the accelerator issue listed as a TSB either.

Oh well, guess I don't get to go harp at the dealer for $600 credit.
Old 10-18-06, 01:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

According to Slee's response here
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.p...ion+sensor+tsb

there was no recall, but maybe a TSB (helps mechanics diagnose the problem in the future).
Old 10-18-06, 01:31 PM
dcentric
Driver

I have a 99 and have only had a torn inner CV boot, cracked exhaust manifold, and of course the obligatory Nakamichi stereo headunit. That stereo absolutely blows but the car has been rock solid reliable for the last 4 years with +50000 miles.
Old 10-18-06, 01:34 PM
LX470Pilot
Driver School Candidate

I keep hearing about the nakamichi headunit going out. I haven't had any problems so far, but I'm starting to get worried, as if the time is drawing ever closer for the thing to fail.

What symptoms will it present before finally kicking the proverbial bucket?
Old 10-19-06, 07:34 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All,

Does the LX always lower itself a couple of inches when you shut it off? My wife says it does and did so over the weekend when we were visiting my parent's place because my dad made a comment about it. I told her that I did not think it went up and down everytime the vehicle went on and off.

Also, is it normal to "hear" the AHC system taking the veihcle up and down? Ours tends to make a little gurgling noise when making it's movements.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-29-06, 06:06 PM
rmahbub
Driver School Candidate

Default Some questions about my Lx470

Hi, Just got my LX470

But while trying AHC i did not see/feel any movement? Am I doing anything wrong? When do i have to do that? How to do that?

Also the rear DVD playing is playing but cannot hear with the wireless headphone. What could go wrong? headphone lights are on. Do I have to connect something or setup something?

Man doing lot of reading [Manual] but not everything is explained in details. So i will be asking questions to you guys time to time.

Thanks,
Raid
Old 10-29-06, 06:14 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Good source for LX470 (100 series) information. www.ih8mud.com
Old 10-29-06, 11:14 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jayson
Does the LX always lower itself a couple of inches when you shut it off? My wife says it does and did so over the weekend when we were visiting my parent's place because my dad made a comment about it. I told her that I did not think it went up and down everytime the vehicle went on and off.
My '03 LX470 does lower itself everytime I shut the car off. My kids tell me all the time.... I suppose this is normal.

Originally Posted by Jayson
Also, is it normal to "hear" the AHC system taking the veihcle up and down? Ours tends to make a little gurgling noise when making it's movements.
This doesn't happen on mine. How many miles are on yours ? You may want to have your dealer check it out.
Old 10-30-06, 07:46 AM
rmahbub
Driver School Candidate

Ok. Now I can use AHC.
The condition was to close all the doors and then make it high or low.
But as some of you are telling that when you shut the engine it lowers by itself. How can that happen? Like to know if that is automatic.

Also I found one of the DVD's tranmitter is not working? What is the easy fix? How much that could cost? Is it DIY type issue?

Thanks,
Riad
Old 10-30-06, 05:46 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's supposed to lower itself when you shut it off. If I stop raised, it stays raised. I actually just it yesterday to jack w/ my buddy who was driving his LC. I parked mine next to his raised and when we got out, I said, "Awwww, wook at da widdle wand cwuiser..."

Seriously, though, I don't think it's supposed to do that. Unless it's an 03+ "feature".

LX470Pilot, the main Nak problem is the CD gets stuck or stops reading discs. I'd listen for abnormal cd mounting noises or problems playing discs as warning signs.

Quick Reply: Common Problems in LX 470: Looking to buy 1