LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Guys my LX's front window got messed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 05:16 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Guys my LX's front window got messed up

Guys i was going down the road a 40mph when a huge rock came
diving on to my car and my window cracked. Its about 10inches long
( Note that it happened today )

How much does the front window cost?
Old 11-12-06, 05:44 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

insurance will pay for it sumtimes and u just pay a $50 deductible and it doesnt hurt your insurance
Old 11-12-06, 05:45 PM
LX470Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Damn that sucks man!

Well, couple routes you could go:

Dealer w/ Insurance - OEM glass, dealer workmanship warranty, Insurance... assurance, pay deductible

Dealer w/out Insurance - OEM glass, dealer workmanship warranty, no rise in Ins. Premium

Other than dealer w/ insurance - probably lower price, warranty depends on vendor, pay deductible

Other than dealer w/out insurance - probably lower price, warranty yada yada, no rise in deductible etc etc.

Don't know if they have SafeLite AutoGlass in your area, but I just did a search and got an online, non-insurance quote for:

$399 regular price
-55% for Monster Markdown Month
=$176.17 + taxes

Includes Nationwide warranty good for as long as you own the vehicle.

www.safelite.com if you're interested.

-LX Pilot
Old 11-12-06, 06:06 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

They're like $110 wholesale.
Old 11-12-06, 06:40 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys but would the $176.17 + taxes price be OEM glass?
Old 11-12-06, 07:43 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
Guys i was going down the road a 40mph when a huge rock came
diving on to my car and my window cracked. Its about 10inches long
( Note that it happened today )

How much does the front window cost?
I know how you feel...some dude passed me on a country road a month ago and kicked up a rock, hit my windshield in the top right corner. Next day, there was an 18" long crack going into the middle of the passenger's side windshield.

I got it replaced last month...$996 including tax for the OEM lexus windshield, one-time use OEM mouldings, and OEM rivets. The LX/Landcruiser windshield has 4 rivets on either side, which is very unconventional. If the installer hasn't worked on this particular vehicle before, he'll have no clue. I've heard of cases where owners have gone to some no-name glass shop and the windshield ended up rubbing against the dash and squeaking. BTW, I had Scottsdale Lexus do mine. Although I'm in Tucson (2.5 hrs away), the dealer here doesn't do glass work. The dealer in Scottsdale still goes to a third party shop, but they do the installation on site at the dealership, that installer does all the dealership's glass work (so they are familiar with that model), and it's warranteed through the dealership.

Be aware that for the LX/LC, there's some prep work before you install or remove the old windshield. One has to pull away the interior/roofliner around the A-pillars (grab handles, trim), remove sun visors, center console, etc. So you don't want any no-name shop messing w/ your interior. There are some plastic caps that cover the bolts on the grab handles. If one doesn't have the right tools and merely uses a screwdriver, you'll see pry marks there. Also, the curtain airbags are close to the A-pillar, so you don't want someone unfamiliar w/ the interior messing with it. Yes, $1K sounds like a lot for a windshield, but it was worth it. My insurance picked up 100% of the cost, but even had they not paid, I still would have eaten the $1k and had the dealer do it. The installation process is non-trivial...it's described in the big factory manual...16 pages! The day I had mine done, it was only about 80-90F, so I had to let the car sit at least 3.5 hrs before driving it.

BTW, the OEM lexus windshield is over $600. You can probably get a OEM Toyota Landcruiser windshield for maybe ~$400-500, but I believe the LX glass is thicker for better sound insulation.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 11-12-06 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-12-06, 08:03 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

o thanks BTW what company of insurance did u have?

Last edited by LXotic; 11-12-06 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 07:26 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

o thanks BTW what company of insurance did u have?
Allstate. But glass coverage varies from state-to-state. I'm in Arizona. I actually can't remember if I pay extra for the glass coverage or not.:-) I know it's not under comprehensive. If I did pay extra, it's because when I lived in Denver 16 yrs ago, my 84 toyota pickup got bombed by golf-ball sized hail. Back then, my insurance was based in CA, as I was living in CO for only a few months. Glass was under comprehensive in CA.

I gotta say, making the claim was very hassle-free. I did it all over the phone and faxed the guy the estimate so he could start the paperwork, then the invoice after the work was completed. Got the check in a week or two, never even had to take the vehicle in to have it inspected!
Old 11-13-06, 01:30 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suhyuk1214, seems like to have terrible luck with your vehicle. you should sell it to me and be on your way with something else. Hah
Old 11-13-06, 01:44 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Yup and u know what this was yesterday but the day before that, my wife's new Audi A4 that I bought for $37,969 was smashed in the front by the damn running deer
I bought the new Audi A4 in Brilliant Red Color 3 months ago but 5days after We got the car a dumbass 30ish lady in a 00 MB E500 wagon rammed the audi in the back so it was in the shop for 48 days. But now the hell w/ it
anyone care for pics of the Audi after the accident?

P.S. Considering selling the 2006 RED Audi A4 Cabriolet
Old 11-13-06, 02:00 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest the insurance route and using OEM parts as well. I looked up the cost at www.toyotapartscheap.com who sell OEM windshields. Strange thing is the Bronze top shaded windshield is $815 and the green top shaded one sells for $419. Hmmm, for half the price I might choose green.
Old 11-13-06, 02:43 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

When you order the windshield, you'll need to know the exact month of production of your vehicle. For '03, there were two different part numbers of windshields.

Get yourself some body armor fast for the LX...steel bumpers up front and back. You know know how it goes...if you don't have it, something will happen. Yeah, insurance will pay to repair the LX if you get rear-ended or hit a deer, but it's not just the same. Some body armor at least minimizes the damage.

You're having a bad year/month. Happened to me late last year...idiot teenager rams my garage at 2am...cost me $1K for a new garage, plus $400 to repaint the bumper on my sports car (and none of these were covered by insurance due to the deductible). Then the big tree on the side of the house was threatening to drop a limb on the neighbor's roof...$900 to remove that, then $1300 for two more trees, fridge dies in mid December (new fridge)...whole bunch of unforseen stuff that cost me $$$$.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 11-13-06 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 02:52 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

o thats good ta hear. I've been considering a rear bumper skid bar cauze some idiot crashed into me a DAY AFTER I got my LX
Also where can I find the part number for the windshield?
Old 11-13-06, 09:01 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

o thats good ta hear. I've been considering a rear bumper skid bar cauze some idiot crashed into me a DAY AFTER I got my LX
Also where can I find the part number for the windshield?
You'll have to call the dealer for the windshield P/N since it differs even within the same model year. You need the date of manufacture, on the sticker in the driver's side door area.

For the rear bumper, the options are the TJM, Kaymar, ARB, and Slee. I don't like the TJM since the side valences are plastic (Kaymar one is steel). ARB uses those folding door pieces that look like they would be damaged if you got rear-ended. Slee is the heaviest, but can't use the OEM mudflaps plus I prefer the OEM look of the kaymar. You can special order the kaymar w/o pivots. Price recently went up on the Kaymar...now like $1425. I got mine back in the spring when it was only $1200. Man-a-fre is the importer in the US. Call to make sure they have it in stock, or it's a 4 month wait! Just before I ordered mine back in mid Feb, a shop in TX that armors Landcruisers for the Middle East bought all of them. So I didn't get mine until early July! (took 2 months to have it made, then 2 months to ship to LA, then 1 week by truck). I had mine custom painted to match the sand dollar pearl, plus had the aluminum checker plate hard anodized black to simulate the black rubber non-skid on the OEM bumper.
Old 11-14-06, 01:37 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
suhyuk1214, seems like to have terrible luck with your vehicle. you should sell it to me and be on your way with something else. Hah
You crack me up man! You're always trying to buy members' Lexus!

Quick Reply: Guys my LX's front window got messed up