LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2007 Land Cruiser - Mistake????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 10:11 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim your so lucky, just imagine has your driving you stop at a light on a hill, you accel slowly and then you punch it, the car is in 2nd gear and your foot is mashed against the peddle and your not getting any power to the wheels, sux

I want a 5spd tranny...
Old 04-24-07, 09:20 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VAL678
Jim your so lucky, just imagine has your driving you stop at a light on a hill, you accel slowly and then you punch it, the car is in 2nd gear and your foot is mashed against the peddle and your not getting any power to the wheels, sux

I want a 5spd tranny...
So I wonder when you've got the pedal down in 2nd gear and there's no power going to the wheels, does this mean the engine is still using a bunch of gas?
Old 04-24-07, 11:02 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
So I wonder when you've got the pedal down in 2nd gear and there's no power going to the wheels, does this mean the engine is still using a bunch of gas?
Well, when u smash on the gas the engine noise is mild not like a power house then you hit third and its back, kinda wierd.
Old 04-25-07, 07:42 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Well, when u smash on the gas the engine noise is mild not like a power house then you hit third and its back, kinda wierd.
What does the navi fuel consumption meter say when you hit the gas hard in 2nd? Does it drop like a rock?
Old 04-25-07, 12:41 PM
wag100
Driver School Candidate

My saga continues.... The dealer has installed what appears to be the same DVD player as would have been installed if ordered. It looks just like the one shown on the accessories page of the web site. My problem is that DVD head unit is mounted on the right side of the rear compartment (appx above the rear wheel). I plastic cover hides the player. To insert or change a DVD you have to go over the back seat, lower the back seat or go thru the back hatch. It's far enought in that going thru the back would require getting in. If you've got a bunch of luggage in their you couldn't get to it at all. My questions are these:
1. The dealer is telling me that this is installed per the instructions. Is this mounted in the correct spot?
2. The CD player in the glove box is also a DVD player. I can play DVD's thru the Nav screen if the the car is in park and the parking brake is set. Is there any way to play DVD's thru the back
Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-25-07, 01:54 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

sad to say that is the stock location for the rear seat entertainment center, thats were it is in my LC. and the one in the glove box is only for the front not the rear.
Old 04-25-07, 09:41 PM
wag100
Driver School Candidate

Who in their right mind would put the DVD player in the lugage area. It's hard to get to and most likely will be covered up when you need it most (on a trip). I guess I've got to live with it for now. Is their any programing changes that can be made to play the rear DVD screen from the from (glovebox) player?
On a happier note the dealer also installed the Sirius radio module. It seems to working good.
Old 04-26-07, 01:35 AM
CACressida
Rookie

Wag, thats where its supposed to be. Now stop being a lazy American and start moving around alot more jking

As for you Val, be the first person on the face of the earth with a Lexus LX470 badged 100 with a 5spd manual gear box! WOOT!

I've driven a LandCruiser VX-R Limited for a whole week when I was in yemen. It was a Lexus surpassing loaded LandCruiser with a super rare 5spd gear box option in a VX-R Limited. It had the inclinometer, altitude gauge, sub tank gauge, a dial to lock the front and rear, yes, FRONT! and rear differentials, a built in winch with a remote control in its little own case that plugs into the front bumper and a whole lotta stuff you'd never think a 100 series came with.

And yeah, I was super lucky enough to use its stuff.
Old 04-26-07, 07:41 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Do you have a photo of the opposite side of the steering wheel to show the diff lock switch and a photo of underneath the front of the vehicle? I've seen the V8 w/ a manual 5spd swap, but it was a swap, not factory.

As far as the DVD player in the rear, there's really no other place to put it. I think there's an ECU under the driver's seat (at least for the LX for memory seats), passenger front seat has the navigation unit underneath, 2nd and 3rd row are designed to flip up out of the way. Plus the center console has the CD/DVD magazine for the navi. It's my understanding that the rear entertainment system is completely independent from the front navi screen. I don't think there is any easy method to splice into the signals from the front DVD and send them back to the rear ceiling monitor.
Old 04-26-07, 07:44 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Problem w/ buying any car is, once you take delivery, the problems are off the dealer's shoulders. Had I known my vehicle only had one master key, I would have put a new, second master key as a condition for delivery plus erasing the missing key from the transponder. And my vehicle was CPO...salesman said lexus is only required to provide two keys for CPO vehicles, so I had to fork out another $250 for a new key (wife and I were not happy). Dealer nickel & dimes me all the time (no advantage having bought it there in terms of doing stuff for free or on discount), so I just say screw it to them and do most of the maintenance myself.
Jim, you got jipped on the 2nd master key as well huh? I thought that I was the only one. Get this, last month the only master key we had cracked in half at start up and we cannot find the transponder anywhere inside the vehicle! So, we're driving around our new (used) 2003 LX with the valet key. I'll get around to ordering a new key from the guys at Lexus-Parts when I cool off. Everytime I open the door with the valet key I just get more irritated. Oh well.
Old 04-26-07, 08:18 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

5spd gear box, lol

WOW!!!

Wonder how much that would cost, I would do it.

Who should I contact to get a 5spd tranny???
Old 04-27-07, 08:12 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by Jayson
Jim, you got jipped on the 2nd master key as well huh? I thought that I was the only one. Get this, last month the only master key we had cracked in half at start up and we cannot find the transponder anywhere inside the vehicle! So, we're driving around our new (used) 2003 LX with the valet key. I'll get around to ordering a new key from the guys at Lexus-Parts when I cool off. Everytime I open the door with the valet key I just get more irritated. Oh well.
Yep, I got ripped off on the master key. I did buy a second key case (the plastic half case) for $11 from Sewell lexus since the key we got was scratched (evidentally, probably in the PO's pocket w/ a bunch of coins). DO NOT discard the remainder of your broken master key! If you throw out your only master key, the dealer wiill have to replace the transponder ECU and full set of keys, about $1K in parts. There is a one time forgiveness (dealer supplies parts, you pay for labor...like $500). BTW, the transponder is inside the dash, I think above the nav unit. New key cost me $200 plus 1/2 hr labor to program it. Make sure you have the old keys deleted from the transponder at the same time. To do this, you need to provide all the keys to the dealer. You might have to buy TWO new master keys...OUCH! I complained to lexus on the survey about not getting 2 master keys. IMHO, if a PO trades in a car w/o a full set of keys, new keys should be charged to the PO at trade in time.

PS: lexus-parts lists a master key at $190. I paid $200 at my dealer, so not a big difference. Advantage to buying the key and getting it cut from the dealership is they warranty both the part and work. Not so if you buy from one dealer and have another dealer install (at least for Toyota).

Last edited by V8_Fan; 04-27-07 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 08:16 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

5spd gear box, lol

WOW!!!

Wonder how much that would cost, I would do it.

Who should I contact to get a 5spd tranny???
I think it's not cheap, as you'll need a new ECU for the 5spd, new tranny, new t-case (notice the t-case **** is in a completely different location than w/ the automatic), crossmembers to mount the tranny/t-case. Not only that, but you won't meet EPA emissions anymore. Now if you swapped in a diesel at the same time, you'd be exempt from the nit-picky emissions, as most states only look at opacity of diesel exhaust. CA did exempt diesels from emissions testing (at least back in '02), not sure if it's still like that.

In Japan, they just buy the tranny/ecu/t-case from toyota...no biggie. :-) I'd guess maybe $10K for the swap? An engine swap is typically in the $15-20K range. People don't swap themselves or even work on their cars like here. Shops do most of the work.
Old 04-27-07, 10:42 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar type discussion of a person that got after-market park assist installed in their IS when the dealer alluded that it would be "factory"....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276215
Old 04-27-07, 04:51 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

yeah unlike the gx, the lx res is totally separate.

i did my own install w/ headrest monitors and put my dvd unit inside the console next to the factory changer.

if my kids were older (they're .5 & 2.5) I would have done an install in the cupholder location on the back of the console so that it was accessible for them, and seen if i could do an armrest swap for one that had cupholders.

just my two cents. always helps after the fact, eh?

Quick Reply: 2007 Land Cruiser - Mistake????