LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 11:27 AM
WSSU1996
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus LX470 VSC Problems

Originally Posted by makulaf
I tried a search but could not find anything helpful, so I am hoping someone here might have some ideas...

I have a 2002 LX470 with 140k miles. I love this SUV. However, about 4 months ago, I was driving in a light rain on a slight curve on the interstate and all of a sudden, the front left tire almost locked up causing my back end to come around in the rain. It scared the crap out of me! I cannot remember whether the vsc light came on or not. I pulled over to the side of the road, and then it was like nothing ever happened. Then a couple of days later, I began having a problem when I would turn sharply to pull into a parking space; the brakes (or brake)would almost lock up. I am not talking pulling in fast, just regular parking and the brakes (or brake)would apply enough where the SUV would not move without a little gas. Then it would go away when I straightened it out.

I took it to a brake shop since it needed them anyway, and had the brakes and rotors replaced.

No problems until yesterday. I was driving about 50mph on a curved embankment and the front left tire began breaking heavily even though I was not on the breaks. Then everything was fine. It was not raining, not skidding, normal driving for this highway. This happened again about 5 minutes later. I drove carefully to work without incident, everything seemed ok, then on my way home, I pulled into a space, and it did the brake thing again and it seemed like the front of the car on the side that was braking was lower than the rest even though the car was not moving.

I am sure this does not sound like it makes any sense, but has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any idea what this might be? Could it be the VSC acting up? I have the LX parked until I can figure out what is wrong but thought I might ask some of the gurus here if they had any ideas before taking it to the dealership.

Thanks in advance for any help,
fish
After reading your post I had very similar issues with my 2002 LX470. It has over 270K miles and mechanically it is still a beast. I love this truck, it was my wife's daily driver until it started acting up. Because it was so reliable it kept me at ease when she and my kids were on the road. However, about 10 months ago, the VSC sytem started activating randomly, sometimes while going 20 mph or three times at 65 mph! Very scary and very dangerous. Took it to several shops, including Lexus, and got multiple suggestions of what they "thought" the problem was, however, none of them registered any errors when plugged into the vehicles computer? When the system VSC activated, the brakes began to pump feverishly, and the entire dash lit up like a Christmas tree and steering was almost uncontrollable until our speed slowed to about 15 mph! After the various diagnosis and suggestions from different mechanics, I chased all the "cheap" fixes first, I.e., wheel speed sensors, getting a wheel alignment, even bought new tires, none of that solved the problem.

So I parked it while I researched some more. Finally, a church member had me take it to his guy and he found out that it was my Rack & Pinion system that was shot. It was leaking fluid in the boot, however, since there was no fliuds dripping under the car when parked it was never checked, I guess, because none of the shops ever mentioned it, especially Lexus! It was $135 diagnostic fee to tell me they didn't find any problems!

So I started researching part prices. An aftermarket part for the Rack & Pinion runs about $240.00. The OEM part from Toyota costs about $750.00! It was also recommend that I replace the tie rods on each side of the vehicle. So I replaced the inner and outer Tie Rods. Aftermarket parts for those run roughly $85 to $100.00 dollars. OEM parts from Toyota cost about $450.00.

So, I paid roughly $1600 dollars for parts and labor to fix the problem, including a wheel alignment. I bought the OEM Rack & Pinion part ($730) and aftermarket tie rods ($90). If you're a do-it-yourself type person, you can save a lot of money.

So, in summary, I replaced the wheel speed sensors, (aftermarket $75 for a pair) the OEM Rack & Pinion ($730), and the aftermarket inner and outer tie rods ($90). In hindsight, the rack & pinion, and tie rods plus the alignment were all that I needed, but Iwanted to be sure the problem was fixed! I have put roughly 600 miles on the vehicle since the repairs were done, and no issues! It's like she is brand new again! I hope this long explaination helps! I'm so glad to have my girl back! Gas prices right now are a different story! Lol

Last edited by WSSU1996; 03-10-22 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gjarm (05-25-22)
Old 05-25-22, 09:28 AM
gjarm
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did replacing the ECU work?

I have the same problem on my LX470. Shop is suggesting ECU replacement. Did that work for you?

Originally Posted by dasgeek
I have also had this problem as I stated in an earlier post. It started out as a problem that would only occure on an angled curve (like a circular ramp from one highway to another). When the truck was leaning to the left, the right wheel would brake. Using the Toyota Tech software I could see that the wheel angle sensor inaccurately indicated the wheel was turning completely to one side. So when the truck would lean it would throw the yaw sensor. The computer sees the truck leaning and the wheel turned all the way to one side and thinks the vehicle is out of control. It tries to correct by braking the opposite wheel.

I ordered a wheel sensor in and it did not correct the problem. The next step in the Lexus Service Manual troubleshooting was a replacement of the ECU for ABS and VSC (PN 89540-60160). Not wnating to spend $1800 and only have an issue under certain conditions, I decided not to replace the ECU.

The problem became more common and under more normal driving conditions. I discussed the problem with Lexus and they explained anonther common cause: wheel bearings need to be repacked. If the wheel bearings are loose, the wheel can move slightly thowing a code with the wheel speed sensor on the wheel and telling the ECU that the vehicle is out of control. I had the wheel bearings repacked and the problem stopped occurring (except under the very specific conditions above). I think this is probably the most common cause ot the braking. So first check your front wheels by jacking the truck up and checking for any play in the wheel.

To solve my persistent problem with the wheel angle reading, I have purchased a used ECU from a salvage truck. I should get it this week, and will update this thread on the result. It should fix the inaccurate wheel angle sensor reading.

One thing I have seen is few Toyota or Lexus service people are good at solving this problem. I had to educate myself on this issue by reading the factory service manual and getting a copy of the Toyota TechStream software discussed in other posts.

So from my experience, while very scary this is not a recall issue. It is caused by either a failed part (wheel angle sensor, wheel speed sensor, ABS/VSC ECU) or a wheel bearing needing to be repacked.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-22, 10:21 AM
WSSU1996
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gjarm
I have the same problem on my LX470. Shop is suggesting ECU replacement. Did that work for you?
In my case, I did not replace the ECU module. Just the Rack & Pinion, inner and outer tie rods, and got a wheel alignment. It has been roughly 2500 miles post-repair and no issues.
The following users liked this post:
gjarm (05-25-22)
Old 05-25-22, 10:45 AM
gjarm
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this! My LX470 issue is more similar to dasgeek's as it only happen in a right hand tilt situation. I am glad what you did worked. $1600 is cheaper than the $2500 (not a terrible price for an ECU replace, I know) my shop is suggesting. Just don't want to replace the wrong thing. Both avenues are not inexpensive. I would hate to choose the wrong path and end up paying for both!
Old 05-27-22, 05:39 AM
WSSU1996
3rd Gear

Default Tough call...

Originally Posted by gjarm
Thank you for this! My LX470 issue is more similar to dasgeek's as it only happen in a right hand tilt situation. I am glad what you did work1600 is cheaper than the $2500 (not a terrible price for an ECU replace, I know) my shop is suggesting. Just don't want to replace the wrong thing. Both avenues are not inexpensive. I would hate to choose the wrong path and end up paying for both!
I completely understand! What I also failed to mention is that my VSC issue first triggered while making a left lane change. However, on other occasions, it didn't matter. One time while driving in a straight line on the open highway? I very much considered replacing the ECU as suggested by a few mechanics. However, when I stepped back and analyzed what was happening, the ECU unit IS working. If the system alerts you on right-hand angled curves, it is working. I'd bet it is your tie rods on that side are shot, I would also check the rack & pinion. I know it is a tough call and a lot of money is on the line but given all I learned during my ordeal,, I'd bet it is not electronic. Good luck