LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Xenon Headlights for LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 08:16 AM
retep222
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Headlights for LX470?

Hello All,

I am new to these forums but have had wanted to mod a specific part of my lexus for quite sometime. Ever since getting an Acura RL with amazingly bright Xenon headlights, my 2005 Lx470's halogens just seem awful.

I was wondering if you all knew if my halogen headlights could be replaced with Xenon one's and how I would go about doing this and roughly the cost?

All input is welcome!

Thank You
Old 06-11-07, 09:47 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Only place I know of that does a true HID projector retrofit is illusion lighting in CA...over $1K, and you have to remove/install the lamps. Most of us like 1LoudLX and myself use the H1 conversion kit by xenondepot. It's almost as good...4 times as much light as stock is what I measured w/ a photographic ambient light meter. The trick is their bulbs have been rebased, as halogen and xenon lamps have different focal points. You have to either retrofit a HID projector, or rebase the bulbs so the focal point of the xenon bulb matches that of the halogen projector. Downside is the bulbs cost more.
Old 06-13-07, 01:49 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

The LX uses an h1 bulb for the low beams meaning that you would need to order an H1 conversion kit.

As Jim Chow explained, the kit is designed specifically for an H1 headlight. As a result, your OEM beam pattern will be replicated.

The Xtreme kits that we sell are currently on sale for $224.99

For the brightest possible output I would suggest going with the 4300k kit:

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=134

Steve
Old 06-13-07, 05:17 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you want the ability to change back to halogen (say you are on a trip and the HID goes out or the light cops bust you), you should order a pair of the plastic gray caps that fit on the inside side of the headlights. Use a hole saw to drill the hole in the back of the cap, cut out the adapter on the wire of the cap that connects the bulb to the vehicle harness. I soldered this adapter onto the xenondepot harness to trigger the xenondepot relays. This way, if you need to reinstall the original halogens for some reason (like you sell the car), you just unplug the vehicle harness from the xenondepot relay, change the HID bulb to the H1 halogen, and change the gray cap back to the original, all without cutting the vehicle's harness.
Old 06-13-07, 07:23 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Someone has done his homework ;-) hehe
Old 06-24-07, 06:25 PM
package888
Driver School Candidate

Hi Steve,

I just bought a 1998 LX 470 and since I my drive home afte work in the night hours, I am looking to upgrade to HID for the Low beams and Fog lights. I looked at a few kits in local stores and have some concerns I hope you can address for me (us?). Some HID bulbs have a longer lenth than the stock H1(lows) and H3(fogs) measured from the mount base and I worry about the fit length and the focal point/distance for the lens and reflector. Could you take a picture of these to compare your kit's bulbs and the stock bulbs for the lows and fogs. Thanks Steve.

After this, I would like to seek suggestions (for Jim Chow?) for replacement LED bulbs for the LX470's overhead lamps and door lamps (there are many of them....LOL). I notice the stock bulbs get very hot when on for even a short period of time. Any comments on how much energy saving with a replacement of the interior bulbs?

Then the next task...wink... replacing (trade, buy???) the 16" wheels and tires for some newer model 18" wheels and tires from an LX or Land Cruiser. Anyone have these available?

Garry
Old 06-25-07, 05:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi Garry,

Yes, both the H1 and H3 HID bulbs will be longer then standard H1 and H3 bulbs. However, the bulbs in our kit are positioned in a way so that the focal point of the HID bulb matches up to the focal point of the halogen bulbs. The bulbs are laser aligned to ensure proper fitment.

We have sold many members on this board our H3 and h1 kits with no fitment issues due to the bulbs being too long.

Steve
Old 06-25-07, 06:07 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I (and two others) have had fitment issues with bulbs being too wide to fit into the aperture of the stock LX headlight. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that. If you also end up being one of the unlucky ones, you'll either have to:

a) make the aperture bigger.

b) "ghetto" mod your bulb by breaking the igniter's ceramic casing and bending it in closer to the bulb.

c) keep buying bulbs until you find one that fits.

I (and the other two) went with the ghetto mod. I do want to mention that I did break one of my bulbs doing that mod, but my vendor sold me a new bulb at cost. Nice of them to do it, but I still ended up paying significantly more than I thought/should have.

I guess at some point we should put up aperture & bulb measurements in a HID thread to take the guesswork out of it.
Old 06-25-07, 10:37 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aedgington
I (and two others) have had fitment issues with bulbs being too wide to fit into the aperture of the stock LX headlight. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.
Your vendor wasn't Xenondepot was it?