LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX 470 Suspension System Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 01:16 PM
mtwaters
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX 470 Suspension System Concerns

Rather than saying I have a problem, I really have a concern. Occasionally, I have had some bounciness as I drive.
Then other times, things seem to be fine.

Currently, when I stop, the car will seem to sway for 2-3 seconds. What does this mean?

I also noticed a clicking sound as I turned and took it to the Lexus dealer. He fixed the tie rod and that part is fine. He said if I have contaminated the suspension system then it is an extremely expensive repair.

Thanks.

Last edited by mtwaters; 07-14-07 at 06:28 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-26-07, 08:15 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Bounciness signals that the accumulator globes are going bad. There's a membrane inside the globe that separates nitrogen from AHC fluid. If someone adds the wrong fluid into the AHC resevoir (I've heard of brake fluid being added by Toyota techs not familiar w/ AHC, wiper fluid added by Jiffy lube), it will degrade the membrane and the nitrogen leaks out. Put your AHC in low and record the level in the resevoir. Then put it in high and do the same. You should have at least 7 gradations difference between the two settings. If not, the globes are shot. Like any part, they will eventually degrade even if you use the proper fluid, as nothing lasts forever, but there are plenty of guys w/ '98's with well over 120K mi and their AHC globes are fine. Although the owner's manual says to change the AHC fluid every 60K mi (5 yrs driving), I think the fluid absorbs water like brake fluid. If that's the case, and you live in a humid environment, it might be a good idea to change it sooner. I plan change mine every other year, have the dealer do it so I don't any crap about it not being properly serviced if the globes do go south in the future.
Old 07-27-07, 05:47 PM
mtwaters
Driver School Candidate

Jim, Thanks for the reply. Are the globes going being shot and the membranes within them leaking nitrogen the same thing. Sorry about such an ignorant question.

If I have to change the globes, is that very involved? 1k or 3k?

Will changing the fluid help the bounciness or after the bounciness starts is it too late?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-27-07, 10:41 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwaters
Jim, Thanks for the reply. Are the globes going being shot and the membranes within them leaking nitrogen the same thing. Sorry about such an ignorant question.

If I have to change the globes, is that very involved? 1k or 3k?

Will changing the fluid help the bounciness or after the bounciness starts is it too late?

Thanks,

Mark
Yes, the globes shot means the membrane is no longer holding nitrogen on one side. I think the dealer price is on the order of $2K+. To change them, it's not that difficult. You need a thin wrench (can't remember if it's 33mm or 36mm). Most people buy an open ended wrench and grind it thin. You bleed the fluid out the valve near the globe into a container and re-tighten the bleeder (corner of the car will drop to the bumpstops at fluid bleeds out, so make sure your head doesn't get crushed!). You then remove the globe w/ the wrench, install new globe. Repeat for the other 3 wheels. Now you must bleed the entire AHC system of fluid. That can be tricky if you get air further up the system away from the wheels. You basically fill the AHC w/ new fluid, start engine and the AHC will raise the vehicle. Then you bleed each corner of the vehicle until there is no air in the system. If it sounds too risky to you, then have the dealer do it. B&B suspension sells alternatives to the OEM lexus/toyota globes, not sure how the prices compare. That is an alternative if you're a complete DIY'er. Another possibility (what some have done) is to obtain the globes from a crashed LX (hard to find, but much cheaper).
Old 08-02-07, 01:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

same problem here, so if we go to the dealership< we should expect to pay 2 k correct/ and if we continue to drive with the issue< will it get any worse, because it only occurs every once in a while and for us, now is not the greatest time to spend 2 k on a problem that doesnt occur all the time
Old 08-24-07, 04:21 PM
Texasoil
Driver School Candidate

Default LX-470 ride/suspension issue

Please go to 'activesuspensionsystems.com' and read all about the AHC system. Dealer price to replace front 2 accumulators is +/-$2000. All 4 is twice that or more. An easy DIY job using aftermarket parts from above site