LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

do people notice how nice the lx is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 09:20 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure what you mean about downhill assist, but the vehicle won't roll backwards when you are in "D" and release the brake. There's some amount of time where it will hold the vehicle position for cases when you have to start up a steep hill. Also, the 5spd transmission will stay in the same gear if you brake and are going downhill. This is one of my favorite features of the 5speed...drives like a manual transmission downhill. All other automatics I've driven keep speeding up downhill when you release the brake. Not so w/ the LX 5 speed.
Old 08-05-07, 09:47 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All true, but the only thing on your list that I actually find "lacking" is the HID options.

some overseas markets the LX470 comes with HID.
Old 08-05-07, 09:51 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Not sure what you mean about downhill assist, but the vehicle won't roll backwards when you are in "D" and release the brake.
When off raod the DHA will hold the truck at constant speed. Around 2-4mph I believe, however the benefit that you do not have to be in lo gear. Also when off road hill start will not allow the truck to roll back at all. These are available on the 4runner, Prado and GX.

I was not saying the LX is not nice because of these features, I was saying that because it has a long design life, it is very difficult to implement these features.
Old 08-06-07, 04:37 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm someone here said that the rr has expensive repairs, so does the lx, if anything goes wrong, its really pricey. especially with that damn suspension, and without the warranty, its going to brun a hole in ur pocket, a RLY BIG hole
Old 08-06-07, 07:37 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
When off raod the DHA will hold the truck at constant speed. Around 2-4mph I believe, however the benefit that you do not have to be in lo gear. Also when off road hill start will not allow the truck to roll back at all. These are available on the 4runner, Prado and GX.

I was not saying the LX is not nice because of these features, I was saying that because it has a long design life, it is very difficult to implement these features.

The 4wd low cruise control is on the LX570. This is a gimic, IMHO. You should be able to maintain near constant speed by just putting the 5speed transmission in 4, 3, 2, or 1 the good 'ol fashioned way. This is regardless if it's in hi or lo.

I find that my '03 will hold the speed if I touch the brake pedal once while going downhill (the '03-07 will do this, not sure about the 98-02). My vehicle doesn't roll back when foot is off the brake going uphill. On the 4runner, I believe it times out just like on the lx/lc. Sounds like your complaints might be with the older 4 speed transmission?

Last edited by V8_Fan; 08-06-07 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 08:50 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
The 4wd low cruise control is on the LX570. This is a gimic, IMHO. You should be able to maintain near constant speed by just putting the 5speed transmission in 4, 3, 2, or 1 the good 'ol fashioned way. This is regardless if it's in hi or lo.
I believe that DAC will actually individually brake the wheels to maintain slow, straight downhill travel. It keeps the speed below 5 mph. It works quite well. On your vehicle (and mine), we have to tap the brakes lightly at times down a steep hill in low range. It can be done manually, but DAC does provide an easier way to do it. I think that DAC only works in low range on 4runners/GX.
Old 08-06-07, 08:55 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmd93
hmm someone here said that the rr has expensive repairs, so does the lx, if anything goes wrong, its really pricey. especially with that damn suspension, and without the warranty, its going to brun a hole in ur pocket, a RLY BIG hole
That's true.

The difference is that Toyota product is significantly more reliable and therefore much less likely to break than the RR product is.

But yes, a near $70,000 (US new) vehicle won't be cheap to repair. No matter who builds it. If it were cheap to repair, it probably wouldn't cost that much new.
Old 08-06-07, 09:03 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

The best comparison for this vehicle is the Range Rover which both start at $100k in Canada.
Range Rover couldn't even beat the cheaper GX470 (with the older 235 hp version of the 4.7) in an Edmunds' comparo, see link:

2004 Ultra Luxury Midsize SUVs Comparison Test
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...4/article.html

To me there is no comparison to the LX. The RR is junky quality, the LX is a Lexus.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 08-06-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 09:07 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I believe that DAC will actually individually brake the wheels to maintain slow, straight downhill travel. It keeps the speed below 5 mph. It works quite well. On your vehicle (and mine), we have to tap the brakes lightly at times down a steep hill in low range. It can be done manually, but DAC does provide an easier way to do it. I think that DAC only works in low range on 4runners/GX.
I too have used the DAC and Hill Assist. Both work very well and help.
Old 08-06-07, 09:18 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The difference is that Toyota product is significantly more reliable and therefore much less likely to break than the RR product is.
There is absolutely no doubt about this. But most Range Rover owners I know never keep their rig long and have the gas to repair it if they did.

But yes, a near $70,000 (US new) vehicle won't be cheap to repair.
If you can finance, insure and gas up a Lexus LX then I am sure you can repair it.
Old 08-08-07, 03:45 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can finance, insure and gas up a Lexus LX then I am sure you can repair it.
That says it all right there.
Old 08-08-07, 08:54 PM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

Service costs have not been any less on my LX than on my Range Rovers. I've had a lot of Range Rovers and while it's fun to whine about their reliability I can't complain. I've had no real problems and a Land Rover has never left me stranded on the side of the road.

I have a few Rovers but this one's a good example. I have a 1995 County (short wheel base - 3.9L V8). It has had every factory recommended service (7500 mile service intervals, majors every 30K miles). My regular services are always a few hundred dollars, majors always under $1K. The car never had one single warranty claim in the first 5/50. At 60K miles I had to replace the SRS wiring harness (~$2,500) and at 120K miles I lost the rear differential (~$1,000). Other than those two items I've done a lot of typical wear and tear work - maybe a few thousand dollars worth. So 12 years and 150,000 miles and it still gets looks and comments all the time.

The LX service costs are considerably more than what I've experienced with Rover.

Maybe somehow I've "lucked out" and somehow been able to purchase the only 7 Land Rovers in existence that aren't POS's. I think a lot has to do with your dealer (which is probably a lot less concern with Lexus) as well as your independent mechanic once it gets older. I've met a lot of people that weren't happy with their Rovers - most of them the type that wouldn't have been happy with anything.

I had a client that asked me about my service once she found out I had a Lexus (she has a new RX). I was kind of surprised by the question. She proceeded to tell me all about how terrible the dealers were in Houston - that she had tried all of them. She was one of the biggest PITA clients I've ever had.

Some people can't be satisfied.
Old 08-08-07, 09:48 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

My dealer also charges outrageous prices for service and performs unecessary service since they have a complete monopoly in town. This is where they really make their money. For example, they charge $750 for 15K service that includes changing the engine oil/oil filter, air filter, transfer case and front/rear diff fluid, cabin air filters, drain & fill ATF pan (3 qts), rotate tires. The profit on that service is as much as what some dealers make from selling a new car! :-) For the 60K service, they wanted $2.4K and do unecessary stuff like check valve gaps (this is a big job since it involves stacking shims of various thicknesses to get the correct gap; usually you don't need it done for at least 200k-300K mi; manual just says to "listen" to the engine as the test), timing belt "inspection" (involves a front engine tear-down just to look at the belt that's not spec'd to be changed until 90K, which is very conservative [some guys have ran their belts 200K, but this isn't recommended]), changing the iridium spark plugs (again, toyota spec's this at 120K mi for iridiums). I had the dealer do a full ATF change (12 qts), had Toyota do the bearing repack, and did the rest myself using Mobil 1 commercial-grade synthetics...saved almost two grand!
Old 08-09-07, 09:53 AM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, sounds similar. I think I need to source a good indy in the Houston area.
Old 08-09-07, 10:06 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

my dealer is terrible, well just when they charge ppl, they r rly nice, rly caring, and very welcoming, but they dime and nickel u to death. i think its because they know that most of the ppl who drive their cars dont rly know wat they r paying for, so they just do, and they can get away with it so why not, but not me i do research but anyways., thr lx is in the dealer today, so we will see wat happens, o and for the comment saying that is u can gas, finance, and insure ur lx u can pay for the repairs, well i think wasnt rly needed here, rite now we r paying for 3 houses, 2 office buildings, and my dad is paying for my to go to a catholic h.s. rite now. so money is a little tight. along with that, he is trying to buy a new car. so i shoudnt have said we could not afford to fix it, i should have said, it would have been better to break down at a different time, ( knowing that it would ) is that better ?

Quick Reply: do people notice how nice the lx is?