LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

do people notice how nice the lx is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 10:39 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question do people notice how nice the lx is?

ok, this has never really mattered to me, but i just thought of it now, do people realize that the lx is in the same class as a range rover or an escalade. all the moms at my school drive escalades and range rovers, and the new gl 450 and a few drive lx's. and when ever my friends see one of those cars they r like "so cool that trcuk is sick" but when they see an lx, they r like w/e. so all im asking is, do people know that the lx is a high end suv, and if they do, why has it always been over shadowed by its competitors? is it because now a days people base there opions on whether a car is good or not because its some rap video, or some kind of rapper drives it, or if theres that BLING factor? agian, anyones input would be nice
Old 07-29-07, 01:03 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Tupac had a Land Cruiser, might have been a LX450, lol

If you go to a country like Nigeria and they see you driving your LX470/Land Cruiser you will get respect but if you show up in a Escalade with 22's no respect, lol

Hard question to answer!!!
Old 07-29-07, 06:41 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I never understood how the Escalade was luxury. It reeked of basic engineering flaws and cheap build quality.

At least the Land Rover overshadows those flaws with brilliant wood and luscious leather wherever you look.

I can't wait for the LX570 to come out. It's interesting to notice that the Land Cruiser has been updated so few times. A testament to it's heritage and superior talent that went into developing it.
Old 07-29-07, 06:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

tell u the truth, the new escalade has very rich feeling leather and the interior is decent, but would i drive it, even for the price , no . but wat u said bout the range rover is true i luv it, but still do ppl respect the lx?
Old 07-29-07, 07:07 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

With the 570 come out, only as much as your spelling

Sorry, I had to....
Old 07-29-07, 07:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

sry im not were my contacts and im pressing the wrong keys lol my mistake o and for the other stuff, well im jus to lazy to write out the rest of the word lol, im to tired to much golf i guess and hockey, and soccer
Old 07-30-07, 11:22 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

I do cuz I used to own one Even though they've made some nice improvements over the years (like in '03) I'm guessing 95% of the soccer Mom's out there couldn't tell an '07 from a '98 cuz they share the same basic design. However as anyone on CL knows the LX is far superior to just about anything else on the road, and the gap will surely widen when the LX570 comes out.
Old 07-31-07, 09:54 AM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

I've always gotten a lot more comments on my Range Rovers in the past than on the LX. But once someone rides in it they always comment on how much better they like it than the Range Rover...and so do I.

I drove my Range Rover across the city one day last week and felt so tired after I got back home that night. It felt good to get back into the LX the next day. That's why I bought the LX instead of another Range Rover this time - even the '07s don't compare comfort and ride-wise to an LX.

I doubt the 570 will disappoint me enough to send me back to Land Rover either.
Old 08-01-07, 10:12 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't care less if I sat down, crossed my legs, held my breath and tried.
Old 08-02-07, 07:59 PM
ArmyJoe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vraa
I never understood how the Escalade was luxury. It reeked of basic engineering flaws and cheap build quality.

At least the Land Rover overshadows those flaws with brilliant wood and luscious leather wherever you look.

I can't wait for the LX570 to come out. It's interesting to notice that the Land Cruiser has been updated so few times. A testament to it's heritage and superior talent that went into developing it.
Thank you - Or the H2 - dont get me wrong, fun, expensive ect - but not luxury
Old 08-02-07, 09:20 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Most people are sheep. Do you ever see Lexus ad's for the LX. Not many out there. People buy vehicles as an extension of who they think they are. The real "car" guys do the research and buy the "best" vehicle. I have a nephew that just bought one of though new 4 door jeep YK's. What a over priced cheap made piece of crap. Off road will be his drive way and he did a lift with bigger tires. It's all about the marketing for most people.
Old 08-02-07, 11:04 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Most people are sheep. Do you ever see Lexus ad's for the LX. Not many out there. People buy vehicles as an extension of who they think they are. The real "car" guys do the research and buy the "best" vehicle. I have a nephew that just bought one of though new 4 door jeep YK's. What a over priced cheap made piece of crap. Off road will be his drive way and he did a lift with bigger tires. It's all about the marketing for most people.
I researched it for 3 yrs and concluded the Toyota landcruiser 80 and 100 and Lexus LX450/470 (same vehicles) are the best for quality, reliability, durability (30 yr design life according to the chief engineer), and offroad ability. Keep in mind that this is the standard offroad vehicle in Third World countries by all other vehicles are compared to. Why do Saudi sheiks drive Landcruisers/LX470's when they can afford any vehicle made? Why is the president of Afghanistan driven around in a LX470? Why do those CNN training videos of al queda show them jumping out of landcruiser 60's? 'Cause everyone's life/livelihood literally depends on the reliability of his vehicle, so they choose the best made...landcruiser/LX470! And for those who can't afford the landcruiser LX, what do they buy? The toyota hilux diesel pickup! This is the standard of the world, will easily outlast any Big-3 pickup many times over.
Old 08-04-07, 10:26 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I researched it for 3 yrs and concluded the Toyota landcruiser 80 and 100 and Lexus LX450/470 (same vehicles) are the best for quality, reliability, durability (30 yr design life according to the chief engineer), and offroad ability
While I do agree with this statement, there are a few things that the LX is lacking in. The best comparison for this vehicle is the Range Rover which both start at $100k in Canada. Well the LX is $101,400. A 30 year design life also has drawbacks.

What I have noticed the LX lacks.
1. No dual driver/passenger climate control.
2. 1998-2005 models only have a modest 230-235hp.
3. Very limited 6500lb tow rating
4. No front cooling seats.
5. 2nd row seats do not have heating option.
6. 2nd row seats do not have the caption chair options.
7. No HID lights for North American market althought HID lamps are availble on LX models overseas.
8. No Down hills assist control or rear roll back feature.
9. Only a clamshells rear hatch.

Things that I have noticed that are very nice on the LX470.
1. Impressive sweude headliner and A pillars.
2. Very smooth engine and transmission.
3. Lo range.
4. Very impressive built quality.
5. LED rear tail lamps.
6. Optitron gauges are impressive.
7. All materials are top notch.
8. Nice size but still roomy.
Old 08-05-07, 11:36 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
While I do agree with this statement, there are a few things that the LX is lacking in. The best comparison for this vehicle is the Range Rover which both start at $100k in Canada. Well the LX is $101,400. A 30 year design life also has drawbacks.

What I have noticed the LX lacks.
1. No dual driver/passenger climate control.
2. 1998-2005 models only have a modest 230-235hp.
3. Very limited 6500lb tow rating
4. No front cooling seats.
5. 2nd row seats do not have heating option.
6. 2nd row seats do not have the caption chair options.
7. No HID lights for North American market althought HID lamps are availble on LX models overseas.
8. No Down hills assist control or rear roll back feature.
9. Only a clamshells rear hatch.

Things that I have noticed that are very nice on the LX470.
1. Impressive sweude headliner and A pillars.
2. Very smooth engine and transmission.
3. Lo range.
4. Very impressive built quality.
5. LED rear tail lamps.
6. Optitron gauges are impressive.
7. All materials are top notch.
8. Nice size but still roomy.
All true, but the only thing on your list that I actually find "lacking" is the HID options.

And if you're going to compare the LX to the RR, what about the following:
1. LX has a lot more room inside.
2. LX has the option (albeit small and not as user friendly as most others on the market today in even mid-sizes SUV's) of the 3rd row seats.
3. Despite the lower power ratings in the 2006 - 2007 LX (when compared to the Supercharged RR) the LX is damn near as quick to 60. The non supercharged RR is just a dog. It's not that the LX is a lightweight vehicle but the RR just finds ways to add pounds.
4. Quality. This can't be under/over stated. The RR is a very nice rig and the interior is impressive. But the fact remains that they are not reliable vehicles and they are prone to expensive failures. There's a reason why they continue to offer "complimentary" service with their new vehicles here in the US. I personally know two people (one co-worker and one client) that sold their Range Rovers within 12 months of buying them new (2005 model and more recently a 2007 supercharged) because they were sickened by the sheer number of problems and dealer visits.
Old 08-05-07, 05:42 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

I remember when our kid first started going to day care. My wife came home *****ing about the LX because all the other moms were driving Escalades, H2's, and MLs. I said, "Are. You. ****ing. Kidding. Me." They weren't even driving RR's or GLs. My own wife didn't realize she was a full class above what she considered comparable. Go figure.

Totally agree with Jim. Whenever I have that argument, I ask the other person why, in countries where Rolls-Royces are used as hotel shuttles and "window shopping" is in the millions, the elite own 100's?

Quick Reply: do people notice how nice the lx is?