LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

HELP ME I M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH the LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 01:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Exclamation HELP ME I M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH the LX

okay so while driving today, r ride became rly rly bumpy, something of this nature has been described in other forums. so thats issue number 1, issue number 2 is that r rear windshield wiper doesnt work, it goes up, then stops. it works when it rains or at just random times, but at others, it just dies. another issue is that one half of the truck is high and the other half is low. im not sure if its related t the ride being rly bumpy, any input, from anyone would begreat o and if anyone knows, how much a dealership will charge to fix it. o and no lift kit ideas please
Old 08-02-07, 05:09 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thye should charge you a diag fee then apply that towards the repair.
Old 08-02-07, 11:08 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

1) half the truck is high, half low: AHC sensors are corroded. A common problem in areas where roads are salted. Get new sensors and seal them w/ silicone caulk.
2) bumpy ride (like no shocks?): usually signifies the damper globes are shot, often from someone putting the wrong fluid in the AHC resevoir.

I'd fix problem (1) first and flush the system w/ new AHC fluid (Toyota brand AHC, not hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, or anything else). Then put the AHC in low, check level on resevoir. Put AHC in high, recheck level. The levels should differ by at least 7 gradations. If < 7, replace all 4 globes (at least $2K) and next time, don't let anyone "check the fluids."
Old 08-03-07, 08:09 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

hmm how much would it be to change the sensors?
Old 08-04-07, 09:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

turns out this suspension is a big problem. we have a friend with an 06 ewhoes had it occur to her on 3 different ocasions, but anyways, is there any where to get this problem fixed other then the dealership, can a place ;like midas or something along the lines of that be able to fix the problem?and if not were is a cheaper place to go
Old 08-06-07, 07:47 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by jmd93
turns out this suspension is a big problem. we have a friend with an 06 ewhoes had it occur to her on 3 different ocasions, but anyways, is there any where to get this problem fixed other then the dealership, can a place ;like midas or something along the lines of that be able to fix the problem?and if not were is a cheaper place to go
I heard somewhere (I think from a guy on the mud forum who replaced the sensors himself) that from about '05 on, toyota cheapened the quality of the sensors. For the sensors, usually the electical contacts in there have corroded from salt. A number of owners have been able to clean the corrosion off and have it work again.

FYI, some of the '05's and everything from '06 on is made by Toyota, not Araco. Araco, a builder of custom high-end coaches in Japan, had built the landcruiser for about 50 yrs plus all the LX's up to about '04-05. Rumor is, quality has dropped from the buy-out by Toyota, 30 yr Araco assembly line veterans retiring, etc. If it's made by Araco, there will be a sticker either under the hood on the right far corner or in the passenger's side door jam.
Old 08-06-07, 07:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

we have that arco sticker, even the windsheil wipers, but im not touching anything electrical, mechanical, or anything so i just want to know is there any place besides the dealership that can fix it midas , bridgestone, fireston, munroe ect.
Old 08-07-07, 07:45 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
we have that arco sticker, even the windsheil wipers, but im not touching anything electrical, mechanical, or anything so i just want to know is there any place besides the dealership that can fix it midas , bridgestone, fireston, munroe ect.
The suspension is Lexus design and materials. I would NOT trust anyone else working on it unless they are certified by Lexus or used to be a Lexus mechanic.

Hmmm, with my brother '01 LX having exhaust manifold issue, possibly the beginning of starter issue, and AHC suspension issue all at 60K miles, i am starting to wonder about the great Lexus reputation.
Old 08-08-07, 07:16 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
The suspension is Lexus design and materials. I would NOT trust anyone else working on it unless they are certified by Lexus or used to be a Lexus mechanic.

Hmmm, with my brother '01 LX having exhaust manifold issue, possibly the beginning of starter issue, and AHC suspension issue all at 60K miles, i am starting to wonder about the great Lexus reputation.
my dad was wondering the same thing, but he has an es with 90k which is flawless, so maybe its just the lx, thats why we r getting the cayenne next summer
Old 08-08-07, 01:36 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Your best bet is the lexus dealer. I wouldn't even trust a toyota dealer w/ AHC since the landcruiser didn't come w/ AHC in the US until '06, plus landcruisers are so few and far between, toyota techs seldom get to work on them.

The only problems I've heard of happening on all landcruisers 100's/LX470's is the exhaust manifolds tend to crack (not sure if this has to do w/ lots of short trips or anything; we won't know if it occurs on the 4runner V8 or GX until years later since they're so new). The symptom is a "ticking" sound upon startup (engine cold) that eventually disappears as the engine warms up. The second common issue is the starter contacts will need replacing (a wear item). The problem is the start is located under the intake manifold, so hard to access. When your contacts are about to go, you'll get the symptom of the engine not starting some of the time (it's a graceful degradation).

As far as AHC issues, the there are none that are design related. I've only heard of corroding sensors in vehicles driven on salted roads and the membranes in the damper globes failing from bad fluid (usually someone has added the wrong fluid [like brake/hydraulic fluid], or excess water in the fluid from lack of changing, etc.). The wrong fluid takes time to damage the membranes, like a couple of months, so by the time the symptoms appear, you're not sure what caused it. As far as salted roads, you can always live somewhere where they don't salt the roads.
Old 08-08-07, 02:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

hmm now wat is the probelm is around for like 2 days, then goes away for a week, then comes bac, but not constantly, in other words, it doesnt occur all the time, sometimes the supsension just goes back to normal, will a simple change of the fluids, and checking the sensors fix the problem if the problem is not constant ?
Old 08-24-07, 04:17 PM
Texasoil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX-470 ride problems

Please go to the following web site and read a lot more about the AHC suspension system
"activesuspensionsystems.com"

Corroded height sensors are not a common problem in the past, maybe now though they are developing. MUCH lower cost (and a real simple DIY job)to replace the OEM accumulators with the one offered on the above website.
Old 08-24-07, 07:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Texasoil
Please go to the following web site and read a lot more about the AHC suspension system
"activesuspensionsystems.com"

Corroded height sensors are not a common problem in the past, maybe now though they are developing. MUCH lower cost (and a real simple DIY job)to replace the OEM accumulators with the one offered on the above website.
dealership fixes them for free