LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

GS470 vs. X54.6is

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 11:17 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb GS470 vs. X54.6is

Greetings! I am in the serious debate of my family's next SUV. I see that Lexus will have what appears to be a direct ML and X5 competitor in the GS470, but not for another year! Enter the new X54.6is. I've always liked it and have read favorable experiences with it. Just thought I would get some of the"SUV" owners feedback.
Attached Thumbnails GS470 vs. X54.6is-redx54.6.jpg  
Old 01-04-02, 10:27 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Go for the GX 470.....after seeing the specs at the Detroit show

From all the press releases and also from the Toyota press (straight from the horse's mouth), I believe that the GX-470 will be a MIDSIZED SUV similar in dimensions to the X5 and Mecedes ML. If this is true it would be relatively fun-to-drive vehicle like the X5 and thereby have a huge advantage over both it's German competitors (that is you'd get far superior 'Lexus reliability", that stunning Mark-Levinson audio system and an absolutely killer DVD-based navigation system and......did I say.....true off-road ability with an ultra-comfortable ride).

The current LX-470, on the other hand, is too long (193 inches) and too wide (76.4 inches) to really be a fun-vehicle. It serves it's purpose of UTILITY really well, but there is far too much a compromise on the "driving fun" aspect of the vehicle.

Hopefully, as Lexus says, the GX-470 will be that perfect MIDSIZE vehicle, a couple inches narrower and 5-6 inches shorter than the LX-470, offering a good balance of utility, manuverability and performance in a nice package with typical Lexus style and luxury.

To summarize, if the above were true, then I STRONGLY RECOMMEND waiting for the GX-470 as the X5 and ML have had a horrendous reliability and quality record
Old 01-04-02, 01:08 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

If the GX is midsized, then isn't that direct competition with its own RX?

Old 01-04-02, 03:34 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TruenoHatchiRok
If the GX is midsized, then isn't that direct competition with its own RX?

No not at all. The GX470 will be considerably more powerful (Only V8) slightly larger and much more $$$. The current RX poses no threat for those in the market for say an X5 or an ML do to the $$$ factor. Take for example the Toyota (which we all know is Lexus) 4-Runner, Seqoia, and Land Cruiser. They have covered all their bases.
Old 01-06-02, 05:12 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I am a Lexus Owner just like the rest of you, but I hate to admit it. If you are comparing a BMW X5 4.6 to the new Lexus GX470, the BMW X5 4.6 is the clear way to go by far if you want to spend the extra money for it.

There is no comparison, the X5 4.6 is a monster of a SAV that is as quick and powerful as most sports sedans out there. Look at the 20" rims they offer as compared to the weak standard 17" by Lexus.

If you want a power SUV / SAV and can pay this much, go for the BMW X5 4.6. That is an incredible looking truck with everything you could possibly want - most importantly a sports package built in. You will not need to upgrade this baby!

The only problem - made and built in South Carolina!
Attached Thumbnails GS470 vs. X54.6is-bmw-x5-4.6is.jpg  
Old 01-07-02, 07:15 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexguynj
I am a Lexus Owner just like the rest of you, but I hate to admit it. If you are comparing a BMW X5 4.6 to the new Lexus GX470, the BMW X5 4.6 is the clear way to go by far if you want to spend the extra money for it.

There is no comparison, the X5 4.6 is a monster of a SAV that is as quick and powerful as most sports sedans out there. Look at the 20" rims they offer as compared to the weak standard 17" by Lexus.

If you want a power SUV / SAV and can pay this much, go for the BMW X5 4.6. That is an incredible looking truck with everything you could possibly want - most importantly a sports package built in. You will not need to upgrade this baby!

Ahhh. I see I have a witness! Although it is pricey, it is the definitely the "Bomb" when it comes to S.A.V. or S.U.V.'s. And don't even hook it up with say a package from Hartage or something like the following: :eek:
Attached Thumbnails GS470 vs. X54.6is-cec-x5.jpg  
Old 01-07-02, 01:23 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Talking GX 470 info is out.............

............and just as I had thought it is a MIDSIZED SUV, and the moment it becomes available in January 2003, I'm buying one. It is the perfect vehicle I've been waiting for all my life. A smaller scaled-down version of the LX 470. I really like the LX 470 but it is too large for my liking - In other words, not at all fun-to-drive, or for that matter park . The GX 470 seems to offer the ideal balance of performance, size (utility), off-road ability combined with extreme amounts of luxury (Mark-Levinson, DVD Navi etc. etc.). The RX 300 is also a great vehicle, but did not have the ruggedness I desired in an SUV and without any underbody skidplate protection and a very low ground clearance, I would not feel comfortable taking it on the rough mountain roads to go skiing!!.......that vehicle was aimed more at people wanting a car with more utility. I don't even think there is another SUV that really serves up such a perfect receipe...........A nice utility vehicle that is also fun-to-drive in a smallish package...........and yes, even though the X5 and ML have served this market segment they were never in my consideration ever because they are very unreliable vehicles!!!!!
Old 01-07-02, 08:14 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: GX 470 info is out.............

Originally posted by vicpai
............and just as I had thought it is a MIDSIZED SUV, and the moment it becomes available in January 2003, I'm buying one. It is the perfect vehicle I've been waiting for all my life. A smaller scaled-down version of the LX 470. I really like the LX 470 but it is too large for my liking - In other words, not at all fun-to-drive, or for that matter park . The GX 470 seems to offer the ideal balance of performance, size (utility), off-road ability combined with extreme amounts of luxury (Mark-Levinson, DVD Navi etc. etc.). The RX 300 is also a great vehicle, but did not have the ruggedness I desired in an SUV and without any underbody skidplate protection and a very low ground clearance, I would not feel comfortable taking it on the rough mountain roads to go skiing!!.......that vehicle was aimed more at people wanting a car with more utility. I don't even think there is another SUV that really serves up such a perfect receipe...........A nice utility vehicle that is also fun-to-drive in a smallish package...........and yes, even though the X5 and ML have served this market segment they were never in my consideration ever because they are very unreliable vehicles!!!!!
Sure BMW & Mercedes aren't the most reliable cars out there, which is shocking for what you have to pay for them. We expect much better and are spoiled by the incredible Lexus reliability.

However I don't know how old you are and the Lexus GX470 is sweet, but it looks like it's for an old guy with a family of 6! Sophistication to the Maximum.

Let's face it, either the Lexus or the BMW, you will not want to bring your 50K to 60K+ vehicle any where near off road!

The BMW X5 4.6 is very sporty and appeals to the younger crowd out there and it just looks fast. It just exudes speed and a image of a younger person at the wheel. Maybe this is where Lexus and BMW differ, but with BMW's offering of Sports Packages on each and everyone of their models, they are definitely doing it right for those younger buyers out there.
Old 01-07-02, 10:20 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

GO WITH THE X5... This GX470 is a disappointment in the styling department... It is not fresh enough to cost as much as it is going to be..... I'll get a Escalade over this GX...

Get the X5!!!
Old 01-08-02, 10:02 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by The Ikon
GO WITH THE X5... This GX470 is a disappointment in the styling department... It is not fresh enough to cost as much as it is going to be..... I'll get a Escalade over this GX...

Get the X5!!!
Oh no doubt Ikon! And I have to say that, there are a couple of Escalades rolling around here on 22's and I got one word for that truck rolling like that, "PRESENCE!" I was up at my stereo shop shooting the ****** and Anthont Dorsette was up there in a Burgundy 02' Escalade w/ 24's! That ***** was sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!! :eek:
Old 01-08-02, 10:18 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Get the X5!!!
I wouldn't go as far as saying the styling is a disappoitment in regards to the GX470. It does look very nice, just not sporty enough for most of our younger tastes. All it needs is some agreesive sports package option and it's all good once again.

But for those of you out there, that just enjoy pure comfort and luxury with that soft, supple ride, this truck is perfect for you.

Now where is my X5 4.6?

Old 01-08-02, 12:06 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Talking Kinda agree with you, but..........

Originally posted by lexguynj

Sure BMW & Mercedes aren't the most reliable cars out there, which is shocking for what you have to pay for them. We expect much better and are spoiled by the incredible Lexus reliability.

However I don't know how old you are and the Lexus GX470 is sweet, but it looks like it's for an old guy with a family of 6! Sophistication to the Maximum.

Let's face it, either the Lexus or the BMW, you will not want to bring your 50K to 60K+ vehicle any where near off road!

The BMW X5 4.6 is very sporty and appeals to the younger crowd out there and it just looks fast. It just exudes speed and a image of a younger person at the wheel. Maybe this is where Lexus and BMW differ, but with BMW's offering of Sports Packages on each and everyone of their models, they are definitely doing it right for those younger buyers out there.
..............well, I'm 28 years old, SINGLE with no kids and don't know if you mean younger crowd as in "late teens/early twenties" ,..........but getting back to the point, I agree with you that, yes, if there was a Lexus, Acura or Infiniti vehicle that was like the BMW X5, this would fit me like a glove........I don't know about you guys, but for me RELIABILITY AND BUILD QUALITY are my number 1 criteria when I purchase an automobile!!!!! - Yes, I wish the GX 470 were a little more compact, had substantially higher power and performance, a sports suspension etc. etc. , but for a lack of choice (keep in mind they have to cover a wide range of tastes and needs), I'm very satisfied with what the GX 470 has to offer!! - the only other choices being the an aging Infiniti QX4 and the "excuse-for-a-minivan" or BUS Acura MDX - I think the GX 470 is leaps and bounds above these choices!!

..........and for those that are thinking of buying an X5, here's a thought......while I'm actually enjoying my trouble-free GX 470, you'll be sitting at the BMW service lounge because your engine caught fire or the transmission blew up!!!!!

Last edited by vicpai; 01-08-02 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-10-02, 05:38 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexguy, thanks for making a 32yr feel like a teen ... The GX470 is going to be a top notch vehicle, but as you all have said it is tooooooooooo bland for the $$$ IMO.. I wish Lexus will get better design people like they once had in the early 90s or take a few away from Jag, Audi/VW or Chrysler...yeah!!! Chrysler....

TXstyle.. I betcha that Escalade was tight as hell... I wish ya' luck in you all's new X5..
Old 01-10-02, 05:45 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks bro'! I'll keep you posted..............
Old 01-10-02, 07:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Lexguy, thanks for making a 32yr feel like a teen ... The GX470 is going to be a top notch vehicle, but as you all have said it is tooooooooooo bland for the $$$ IMO.. I wish Lexus will get better design people like they once had in the early 90s or take a few away from Jag, Audi/VW or Chrysler...yeah!!! Chrysler....

TXstyle.. I betcha that Escalade was tight as hell... I wish ya' luck in you all's new X5..
IKON, you are still not looking a day over 25 my young friend!

28 & married here. Don't get my wrong I like the GX470 and it's about time Lexus came out with a midsize SUV, but it's still big and bulgy looking. Maybe if I get to see one in person, I'll have a different opinion and love it all over again.

The Lexus will deliver, especially in a nice comfy ride and Lexus is just more luxurious! But the BMW X5 feels solid, smooth and built like a Tank. Best crash ratings out there.

But BMW has a hot product currently on the market with good power and sports package in it's X5 4.4 and 4.6 models. It's pricey, yet packed with everything you would want, so you don't have to spend more money after you buy it for enchancements. This model is what all us guys are drooling over and want whether we would like to admit it or not.

It's just this BMW reliability and expensive maintenance (after the warranty period) that is annoying me. The fact that it's built in South Carolina is not helping either. BMW is still have very high reliability marks, but when you are used to a Lexus reliability, you just can't go back!

Quick Reply: GS470 vs. X54.6is