LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Upgrade LX470 with ARB AIR LOCK

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 12:43 PM
chris231
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade LX470 with ARB AIR LOCK

I am thinking applying the ARN AIR LOCK to my '03 LX470.
Anyobe ever did this before?
Is there disadvantage to do it?
For exmaple, will adding AIRLOCK(Front+Rear) will make the TRAC disable?
Further miore, what is the comparison between AIR LOCK and the TRAC?
Old 10-21-07, 05:13 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it will work VERY well with the truck. trac will work the same when you drive on the street, but you will want to turn trac off when you activate the air lockers to allow them to do their job off road.
they will work infinitely better than the trac system by itself in rough conditions. the lockers keep the wheels turning all the time no matter what, so you are able to keep going where you want to without tearing up the ground, or the drivetrain. the trac system is not as elegant when you're in rough conditions, it allows wheelspin but keeps you going, but not as smoothly or confidently.
there is no substitute for a real locker when off road.
Old 10-21-07, 09:50 PM
chris231
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the informations, This definitely make me fee lmuch better.
Another related questions: I was heard that the AIR LOCK could not co-exisit wit hteh LSD, Does LX470 equipped wit hthe LSD? If did, what percentage the LSD is?
Or the TRAC is actually cover the function of LSD?

Thanks agoin for the prompt response.
Old 10-22-07, 06:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i'm 99% sure that there is NO LSD in an LX470. trac was designed to eliminate it.
you are correct, an ARB locker would not work with a LSD rear end. you coul dstill install in the front though. although, i wouldn't worry about it, like i said, i'm almost positive there were no LSD's in the LX470.
Old 10-22-07, 08:09 AM
chris231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
i'm 99% sure that there is NO LSD in an LX470. trac was designed to eliminate it.
you are correct, an ARB locker would not work with a LSD rear end. you coul dstill install in the front though. although, i wouldn't worry about it, like i said, i'm almost positive there were no LSD's in the LX470.
Thanks again for the confirmations!!
Old 10-22-07, 09:45 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No LSD in the LX. Air lockers, and TRAC are the best setup IMO. There's no substitute for lockers, but you need them way less with the LX's TRAC system. There's good info on www.ih8mud.com about this subject.
Old 10-24-07, 07:15 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Some clarifications:

You do NOT need to turn off ATRAC for lockers...in fact, you canNOT even turn if OFF for that matter! ATRAC is always ON. VSC can be turned OFF.

BUT, you do need to lock the center differential when you turn ON your lockers. Locking the center diff will turn OFF stability control (VSC). VSC is what will interfere with the lockers, NOT ATRAC. ATRAC is ALWAYS on.

Lockers will not interfere with ATRAC because ATRAC won't know that it's there. ATRAC only intervenes when there is a difference in wheelspeed between two tires on the SAME axle. Since a locker ties the wheels on the same axle together, ATRAC will not activate at all.

So, if you do get ARB lockers, then just remember to lock the center diff BEFORE activating the lockers. You can leave the front open for ATRAC to help with the front tires while locking the rear axle.

IMHO, i would NOT add ARB locker to the front because IFS is not as strong as a solid axle and may not stand up to the stress of a locker. Since you have ATRAC controlling the front, it's like having a rear locker + front limited slip differential.
Old 10-25-07, 05:50 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

^ absolutely correct. i was thinking VSC, but typed trac because that's what he was asking about and i knew what he was thinking but didn't bother to clarify it!
you make a good point about the front diff not being as strong as the rear. however, i think much of it depends on his driving style and how much of a throttle jockey he is! used judiciously, only when needed, the front arb would come in handy without stressing out the drivetrain unnecessarily.
Old 10-26-07, 01:24 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have F&R ARB lockers on my '98 LX470. The 98-99 LX's (non-ATRAC) originally came with rear LSD. All LC's had open differentials. It is probably possible to swap in the LSD to a later year LX470 with ATRAC but the benefits would be marginal.

Adding a locker up front is actually a good idea. Nobody knows exactly why the front R&P breaks but the ARB differential case that bolts up to the ring gear is significantly stronger than the OEM unit and can help in reducing flex. The ARB spider gears are also said to be stronger.

Some believe wheel lift, wheel spin and then coming down on the surface is the reason for breakage. By locking the front, you should have less wheel spin and so no abrupt traction when the lifted wheel comes back down.
Old 11-01-07, 03:12 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99

IMHO, i would NOT add ARB locker to the front because IFS is not as strong as a solid axle and may not stand up to the stress of a locker. Since you have ATRAC controlling the front, it's like having a rear locker + front limited slip differential.

Addding a front ARB is actually very benificial to the 100 series (even if you don't use it). The 100 series actually has a history of blowing front diffs in even the easiest of low traction conditions. The ARB actually strengthens the front and seems to remedy the problem and like I stated, even if you're not using it. Wierd, but true.
Old 11-01-07, 03:16 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoser
All LC's had open differentials.
You mean in the front right? The '98-'99 LC had a rear ELocker option.
Old 11-01-07, 05:15 PM
Hoser
Driver

kyoso23, Yes, some like yours had the option RR diff lock but it is still an open differential as in no friction (clutch plates or viscous) between the L & R sides. Same goes for the ARB differential when unlocked.
Old 11-01-07, 05:42 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by kyoso23
Addding a front ARB is actually very benificial to the 100 series (even if you don't use it). The 100 series actually has a history of blowing front diffs in even the easiest of low traction conditions. The ARB actually strengthens the front and seems to remedy the problem and like I stated, even if you're not using it. Wierd, but true.
True, but i think that Toyota stregnthened it from 2000 and on...to what extent they strengthened it i don't know.
Old 11-01-07, 06:22 PM
Hoser
Driver

In '00, they went from a 2-pinion to a 4-pinion differential. Unfortunately, it looks like the R&P gears is what breaks most often and not the pinion (spider) gears. There have been many broken differentials, both 2 and 4 pinion type.
Old 11-01-07, 08:06 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Hoser...wow, i thought that these things were overbuilt?

Quick Reply: Upgrade LX470 with ARB AIR LOCK