LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Car has TEMP/Check/Low oil/no hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 02:51 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car has TEMP/Check/Low oil/no hydraulics

Was driving home today and my '03 LX suddenly stopped right in the middle of traffic. The gas pedal went dead, the dash lighted up with a red TEMP/oil light, the check light was also on, and the hyraulics went dead. I couldn't turn the car wheels. I turned OFF the car, and re-started and it started right back up fine.... Half a mile down the road at another stop light, it went dead again.... and after re-starting it worked fine... until another red light stop, and then a repeat. The car died 3x within a 1.5miles of home.

Anyone seen this before? I have no warning check light on before this happened. My oil was changed about 5K miles ago, and only last week I replaced the battery which died due to lack of use. I had driven the truck once in the last 3 months. And as it sat in the garage the battery went dead.

Truck has 72K miles and is an '03. I am gonna trade out of the truck soon when my daughter starts driving this summer, cos we don't really need it anymore and it just sits in the garage gathering dust.

But I'd appreciate if any of you have seen this before and what it could mean. Of course, its going to the dealer Monday but will like to have a clue what could be wrong before the dealer slaps me with the bill
Old 02-18-08, 06:51 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Is the charge light in the dash on? That would signify that the alternator is bad. Otherwise, due to the complete power failure, I would guess a bad ground. Are the battery terminals clean and connectors tight? Is the battery holding charge? If it sits for long periods, the battery will drain. My OEM battery died after the car sat for 3 weeks, got driven once, then sat for another 3 weeks. Apparently, the LX/LC don't have a long-term drain battery management like my '01 honda prelude. My LX is driven every weekend, then I put it on a battery charger during the week to prevent battery drain.
Old 02-18-08, 07:47 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like a bad ground, mang. Check your post connectors for your battery.
Old 02-18-08, 09:17 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Is the charge light in the dash on? That would signify that the alternator is bad. Otherwise, due to the complete power failure, I would guess a bad ground. Are the battery terminals clean and connectors tight? Is the battery holding charge? If it sits for long periods, the battery will drain. My OEM battery died after the car sat for 3 weeks, got driven once, then sat for another 3 weeks. Apparently, the LX/LC don't have a long-term drain battery management like my '01 honda prelude. My LX is driven every weekend, then I put it on a battery charger during the week to prevent battery drain.
Jim, thanks for the response. I am so embarrased to have to say this, but turns out the truck was out of gas The battery is brand new and no worries on that front.