LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

HID Installed in 04 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08 | 11:18 PM
synacide
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb HID Installed in 04 LX470

Ive installed HID with 6000K bulbs using the DDM kit found at ddmtuning.com.

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the back of the plastic cover that houses the H1 bulb to allow for the wires to pass through the housing as seen in the pictures below. I took apart the wire from the plug harness in order to pass the wire through the hole. The size of the plug harness does not allow this to happen without doing so. Just feed the rubber grommet through the hole for a watertight seal. I connected the leads to the inside housing connection and used heat shrink tubing over the connection. The H1 HID bulb fits and clips onto the housing without any modification to the bulb holder as opposed to other installs seen by other HID kits.
After all that, its just plug and play. Take a look.

Old 02-21-08 | 07:42 AM
adam4x4
Driver School Candidate

So how is the lighting? Do you like them? Looks to be an easy install and very clean.
Old 02-21-08 | 07:45 AM
synacide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adam4x4
So how is the lighting? Do you like them? Looks to be an easy install and very clean.
The lighting is excellent. Much Brighter than stock and this is the way it should have come from factory. The projector really helps the lights giving it a very good beam pattern lighting up evenly.
Old 02-21-08 | 11:07 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

looks nice, but i dont like drilling in my car, so i just replaced my stock bulb with Sylvania Ultra Star bulb. its much better than stock, and the color is brighter...

but anywz, good job on ur clean work. looks real good
Old 02-24-08 | 09:22 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ hey, i know tyhis is a stupid question to ask, but what kind of bulb does the lx use? im going to walmart today so if i know, i can just pick up a set of sylvania's
Old 02-24-08 | 09:26 AM
synacide
Driver School Candidate

mine uses H1 bulb.
Old 02-24-08 | 10:27 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

drl/high beam 9005.

low beam H1.

i used 9005SU(silverstar ultra) and H1. Because sylvania dont carry ultrastar for the low beam, i just use H1ST(H1 silverstar high performance lighting).
Old 02-25-08 | 08:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

that you very much, now is that the one with 3 plugs or 2 plugs on the bottom? sorry i m asking these stupid questions, i know more bout the es then i do the lx
Old 03-27-08 | 10:17 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Looks great! I did the same thing when I installed HID's in my Lincoln LS. HIDs didnt come out on the LS till 03. I dont recall drilling a hole to make the wires pass through though.
Old 03-30-08 | 05:54 PM
firetora
Driver School Candidate

i installed them but I got them from bavtoys
i liked them so much, i'm going to start vending them here
Old 04-01-08 | 03:29 PM
joe42276
Rookie

I installed HID setups (4300k) on both headlight and foglights. It made a world of difference! The headlamps also lit up with 2 oval slots from each headlamp. This caused some drivers to be annoyed, and also looked funny when you see the light cast on a wall. This was simply solved using a bit of 15 minute JB Weld kit... and a pair of disposable chopsticks =)

Now the lights cast look clean, and nobody has complained about the brighter lights!
The following users liked this post:
OldManTanX (03-26-21)
Old 04-04-08 | 02:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Got any picture of the beam pattern against a wall? Ever thought about replacing those parking lights to match the HID color? I think it would look less disoriented that way.
Old 01-30-09 | 10:47 PM
azaytsev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joe42276
I installed HID setups (4300k) on both headlight and foglights. It made a world of difference! The headlamps also lit up with 2 oval slots from each headlamp. This caused some drivers to be annoyed, and also looked funny when you see the light cast on a wall. This was simply solved using a bit of 15 minute JB Weld kit... and a pair of disposable chopsticks =)

Now the lights cast look clean, and nobody has complained about the brighter lights!

I have the same problem. Can somebody explain me how to fix this. The light output looks very strange.
thanks
Old 01-30-09 | 11:26 PM
rueym
Driver

i've had belloff HID's in my car since 03 and they are , the two oval slots on the beam pattern are mostly for signs when it is down the road.
Old 03-10-09 | 05:15 PM
joe422
Driver School Candidate

even if the two ovals are for road signs.. it makes the beam look strange.... and I also think they are for the stock halogen bulbs. The HID setups are so much brighter, it doesnt need the extra holes to light up the signs. I plugged my holes and it's fine. Look at any car w/ factory HID's... they don't have "holes" to light up signs... besides, the LX's HL's are already higher than cars.

As for filling the holes, and getting a nice clean cutoff again... it's pretty simple.
-The hard part (not even hard.. ) is to remove the headlamp housings.
-Remove the bulbs.
-mix a little bit of 15 min JB Weld.
-Take a pair of disposable chopsticks and split them (raid your local Panda or Pick up stix)
-use tip of one of the chopsticks and dab it onto the mixed JB Weld.
-Dab the JB Weld onto the hole inside the HL housing.
-You don't need a lot... just a little to block off the hole. It fills in nicely.
-The JB Weld should be thick in 15 min... so let it sit. It's nice because it's strong,
sticky (bonds to the holes) and can handle the heat as well.
-then stick the bulbs back in and reinstall the lamps on your LX.
-Enjoy the CLEAN CRISP cutoff line from your HID's.

Quick Reply: HID Installed in 04 LX470