LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

02 LX470 with rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 10:37 AM
cv470
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride

Just got off the phone with the lexus tech and he is running all test on the AHC system but he is going to have someone pick me up in another 2006 lx470 to see if it feels the same he said he has gotten this complain from people who came from the GX470 which is a totally different ride he told me this is a more ridged ride becuase of it's suppension and it's off road capablities.
Old 01-21-09, 05:52 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just got back from a trip and our suspension just went back to its old ways.. An hour or so into the trip the suspension decides to go to the sport mode and stay there no matter what the ride control is set at. When it does it, you can switch the ride control from comfort to sport and there will be no difference... It is quite jiggly. When the control is working there is a pronounced difference between the modes. I'll have to take it in again and have them look at it. Oddly, if you stop, take out the key, start the car again, it goes back to normal.
Old 01-21-09, 11:46 AM
cv470
Rookie

Default Rough ride

Found out it's the tire on mine test drove another LX470 but it had the michelin tires and it was great!! so now I need tires! And i think they are anywhere from $250-$300 each!!!! but what a difference depending on the tire you have!! if you have the Dunlops Like I do forget it!! they are the WORST!
Old 01-21-09, 10:00 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cv470
Found out it's the tire on mine test drove another LX470 but it had the michelin tires and it was great!! so now I need tires! And i think they are anywhere from $250-$300 each!!!! but what a difference depending on the tire you have!! if you have the Dunlops Like I do forget it!! they are the WORST!
See my other post in your other thread about tires but the OEM Dunlops that came on our 2006 LX were absolute crap. We recently replaced all four with Michelins through Costco (total price out the door including mount, balance, etc. was a little under $1,000) and the difference is night and day.
Old 01-22-09, 06:33 AM
cv470
Rookie

Your right the other LX470 I test drove to figure out the problem was night and day DUnlops give a new meaning to the word crap I just cant believe lexus hasnt pick up on it! but I am glad thats the problem and it can be solved what michelin tire model did you get?
Old 01-24-09, 02:31 PM
tom.
Driver School Candidate

I had had new Michelin Synchrone at front, old Michelin LTX M/S at back and was rough, changed to Pirelli Scorpion ATR and ride is the same but traction a lot better in all road conditions.
Old 01-24-09, 10:44 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC300T
We just got back from a trip and our suspension just went back to its old ways.. An hour or so into the trip the suspension decides to go to the sport mode and stay there no matter what the ride control is set at. When it does it, you can switch the ride control from comfort to sport and there will be no difference... It is quite jiggly. When the control is working there is a pronounced difference between the modes. I'll have to take it in again and have them look at it. Oddly, if you stop, take out the key, start the car again, it goes back to normal.
Any resolution to this yet Scott?
Old 01-25-09, 08:23 AM
cv470
Rookie

Default rough ride

Da Hapa which michelin model tires did you get at costco
Old 01-25-09, 08:25 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, no. The LX is at the dealer, though. They made us take an IS250 home for the night after an off topic discussion of lease rates. They're running a deal on IS250s. The next morning we leased an 09 IS250 AWD. What a hoot to drive. I was not expecting as much. It doesn't have the explosive wheelspin problem our SC300 turbo has, but it is arguably just as fun to drive, it is truely a point and shoot vehicle - no skidding, or wheelspin. Best base factory stereo I've ever heard - stomps the ML system in the LX.

I'll bring up the LX470 topic again soon, but probably not this week as we're expecting significant snow.
Old 02-19-09, 10:46 PM
rjgnbako
Driver School Candidate

Default Rough Ride in 1999 LX 470

Tom -- Saw your post tonight regarding ride is harsh and it is only noticeable on expansion joints/cracks, potholes. On highway speed and bigger road imperfections everything seems to be Ok. Explains my car to a T. However, in addition, the height control just quit working in the last two weeks.

Seems you have tried everything including changing accumulators when must not have been cheap. Someone mentioned tires. I have a hard time believing the Michelins I have on would be the problem but am hesitant to change the accumulators after reading your post. Where do you stand and have you had Lexus evaluate your problem.
Thanks, rjgnbako
Old 02-20-09, 04:24 AM
cv470
Rookie

I have the four new micheline latitude HP tires on mine very smooth on smooth surfaces but if I hit a pothole or any imperfections on the road forget it!! I really do think there is something else wrong! the lexus dealership could not find anything wrong! any insite?
Old 02-20-09, 07:27 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

CV470:

Is there a huge difference between comfort and sport? On mine when the system is working comfort setting smothers most bumps on the highway. Sport is like riding a pogo stick. When mine acts up, it gets stuck on Sport. No matter where the ride control is set, you get the pogo stick ride. As mentioned it only does this occasionally. Turning off the car and restarting cures it for another hour or so, sometimes longer. Only does it on trips.
Old 02-20-09, 07:59 AM
cv470
Rookie

There is not that much difference from sport to comfort! and I tried turning the truck off and back on again! and nothing! what could it be??? I also tried rising and lowering the truck that works fine but the ride is still the same! if I only knew what it was I could take it back to the dealership
Old 02-20-09, 08:15 AM
cv470
Rookie

Sorry but I really dont know much about how the Lx system works but what do the
accumulators do exactly? and i hope that not the problem I just one up for sale on ebay for $400 brand new I am just trying to figure out whats causing it so I could make my next move! the ttruck is still under warranty
Old 03-12-09, 11:05 AM
tom.
Driver School Candidate

After I have changed accumulators, opened and checked sensors, checked shocks pressure, set everything (t-bars, sensors, car height) to correct specifications, fitted new tires (pressure front 30, back 32), changed AHC fluid many times , I finally found out what the problem was.

Very loose front wheels bearings.

Quick Reply: 02 LX470 with rough ride