LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Battery dying or I am not driving enough

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 10:47 PM
gurjot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dying or I am not driving enough

I have a 2001 LX470 with the original battery. It was always able to start the engine without issues as I was driving it almost daily. I drive the SUV once or twice a week now since the gas prices went up. The battery was initially unable to start the engine if I did not drive it for a week and now it is 4-5 days. I have to jump start the SUV. The alternator is working fine as the charging meter shows it is working. After running the SUV for 15 minutes I have no problem restarting any number of times.

Does my battery need to be replaced or am I not running the SUV enough?

I have 12 amps Exide battery charger. In the past I have used it on my MBenz 190E battery successfully until I got a new battery and now
I do not need it. Even after driving for half an hour the battery indicator's color says that battery needs charging. I want to connect the battery charger to the battery for a day in order to get it fully charged. Is it safe to use the charger to charge the SUV's battery while it is connected to the SUV or should I unplug the battery and charge it. If I unplug the battery is there any important memory setting I would loose.

Thanks
Gurjot
2001 LX470
Old 06-24-08, 10:12 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You could have the battery load tested at a battery shop. Just measuring the voltage won't do. My factory panasonic battery was fine until I only drove the rig once in 5 weeks. After that, it wouldn't start up. The battery condition window turned from blue w/ a red circle (good cond) to white (needs charging). I jumped the vehicle, then drove for 30 min. The windows was still white, but the rig started right up. I then drove for another 1.5 hrs. After that, the window was still indicating it needed a charge despite being able to start easily. I ordered a mil-spec Odyssey PC1700MJT full metal jacket AGM battery from west coast batteries (you need to shim the base by 1" and cut a couple of blocks so the OEM strap fits). I still mainly drive it on weekends (have 4 cars for 2 drivers), so I keep it on a trickle charger (battery shop says the battery will last a lot longer if you do).
Attached Thumbnails Battery dying or I am not driving enough-odyssey_pc1700mjt1.jpg  

Last edited by V8_Fan; 06-24-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 02:15 PM
Rob Daman
Rookie

thats cool. i have that same battery sitting in my garage since i sold my titan. it's a uncommon size especially with reverse terminals.
Old 06-26-08, 06:44 PM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

I have the same problem with mine. So I just drive it once every 2 weeks. Just do a 10-20 miles drive and she can sit for another 2 weeks no problem. I have an interstate 3-4 years old. But mine does have some aftermarket equipment.
Old 06-27-08, 08:36 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan o
I have the same problem with mine. So I just drive it once every 2 weeks. Just do a 10-20 miles drive and she can sit for another 2 weeks no problem. I have an interstate 3-4 years old. But mine does have some aftermarket equipment.
Yes, but batteries in AZ don't last long, 1.5 yrs is the norm for a normal battery whereas a normal battery somewhere like So. CA or the Northwest would last 5+ yrs. My OEM panasonic lasted about 4 yrs. here, would probably last 8-10 yrs in cool, coastal CA. My garage is around 110-120F in the summer, and heat causes batteries to discharge fast. It's the discharge that destroys the battery. Deep cycle batteries can be fully discharged and recharged upwards of 200 times, while normal starter batteries can only handles this around 2x. The best solution is a trickle charger, like in my pic...keeps the battery from discharging when the truck isn't in use. BTW, the LX draws a lot more current than my other cars (honda prelude, toyota) when sitting idle for long periods (2+ weeks). There's a lot of electronics running when the key isn't in the ignition.
Old 07-01-08, 04:49 PM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Yes, but batteries in AZ don't last long, 1.5 yrs is the norm for a normal battery whereas a normal battery somewhere like So. CA or the Northwest would last 5+ yrs. My OEM panasonic lasted about 4 yrs. here, would probably last 8-10 yrs in cool, coastal CA. My garage is around 110-120F in the summer, and heat causes batteries to discharge fast. It's the discharge that destroys the battery. Deep cycle batteries can be fully discharged and recharged upwards of 200 times, while normal starter batteries can only handles this around 2x. The best solution is a trickle charger, like in my pic...keeps the battery from discharging when the truck isn't in use. BTW, the LX draws a lot more current than my other cars (honda prelude, toyota) when sitting idle for long periods (2+ weeks). There's a lot of electronics running when the key isn't in the ignition.
I agree with you on that. I thought about getting a charger but I use the battery excuse to force my self to drive the LX every couple of weeks.