LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Little things i need help with

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 04:52 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Little things i need help with

1. Rust on tailgate, any one else have it? seems like it is coming from the inside so no pint in painting it, or is there any suggestions to take care of it?

2. Rear wiper only worked in rain, and when dry, there isn't even a noise from the motor, does it need to be lubricated or something? or do you think the motor is just toast.

3. Running boards, i know has been discussed many times, but is it possible to fix yourself?

4. AGIAN TH TICKING!!!!!! before it only ticked when accelerting, now does it at idle, just much quieter

5. Idle's below 1000 rpm, is that normal? seems a bit low. Would cleaning the air filter sensor would help?

6. Slight travel in the hood, anyone else have this? or is this not normal and we have to adjust the latch

These are all little problems or issues with our lx and need info or help on how to take care of them or fix them . Thanks if you can help
Old 09-17-08, 12:29 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
1. Rust on tailgate, any one else have it? seems like it is coming from the inside so no pint in painting it, or is there any suggestions to take care of it?
Same problem. Not sure why.

2. Rear wiper only worked in rain, and when dry, there isn't even a noise from the motor, does it need to be lubricated or something? or do you think the motor is just toast.
Not sure...

3. Running boards, i know has been discussed many times, but is it possible to fix yourself?
What do you mean by fixing it ourself?

4. AGIAN TH TICKING!!!!!! before it only ticked when accelerting, now does it at idle, just much quieter
Cracked exhaust manifold??

5. Idle's below 1000 rpm, is that normal? seems a bit low. Would cleaning the air filter sensor would help?
Mine idles around the same too... Asked my SA and said its normal... Dont know, dont think it will cause much problems.

6. Slight travel in the hood, anyone else have this? or is this not normal and we have to adjust the latch
You mean the hood is not aligned? Mine is the same after a fix from an accident.

These are all little problems or issues with our lx and need info or help on how to take care of them or fix them . Thanks if you can help
Not sure if any of my replies help.... Might want to research more or some other users can chime in.... GL.
Old 09-17-08, 03:21 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

both manifolds fixed, and heatshield gone, idk what the ticking could be, it is ever so slight, and i mean if it is easy to fix the running board situation. As for the hood, it goes up and down by about 3/4 millimeters
Old 09-17-08, 04:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

ok 1. Took some black spay paint black primer, and spayed the rust part, it isn't the same color as the car, but im trying to do anything to keep it from spreading and no one sees it anyways. Theres no reason for it to rust, always flushed out, garaged, washed, ect. Really pissing my off. The hood problem solved by pushing down on the hood. Now the ticking, went under the car and checked what i think is the exhaust manifold, looks like a metal can surrounding the muffler with little metal circles in it? and if it is, then thats not the ticking culprit. So all thats left is find out the ticking, fix the running boards, and find out if the wiper just needs some lubrication. This lx section of the forums needs to be more active haha
Old 09-20-08, 08:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

any more input?
Old 09-22-08, 01:25 PM
Roverrad95
Driver School Candidate

Are these serious questions?

You live in a salt state. You also have a car that unfortunately has metal that oxidizes (rusts). It happens with age/salt/snow. Sand it down and repaint it... or leave it. It isn't coming from the inside. It is kick up from the rear wheels. Even just a little water/salt can cause it. You should just move to SoCal, it would make life easier .

That is a short in the electrical system. I would suggest A. Check to make sure no wires are frayed/bitten. Then B. Have a mechanic check it, as you don't sound like you could take on this task by yourself (no offense)

Yes, it can be fixed, look it up or replace the board. Might be better to leave it or replace it.

Check the valve lifters. Is this only happening when cold, or at optimum temperature?

Yes that is normal... Seriously? You can clean it, and yeah it will make a difference... when you are moving. Is the LX the first car you have ever been in?

It is a hinge. It can be adjusted. This is normal.
Old 09-22-08, 02:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Ya those were serious questions and no the lx hasn't been the first car i've been in. And the wiper wasn't a sort, had it fixed yesterday just needed some lubrication, and when i cleaned the sensor in the es, made one hell of a difference but the idle wasnt so low, so i was just making sure. And no it isn't kick up from the rear wheels, it is from the water that gets inside the tailgate and doesn't or can't get out, so i was wondering if fixing would even be worth it because it was rusting from the inside. And it happens at all temperatures
Old 10-01-08, 08:03 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Roverrad95
Are these serious questions?

You live in a salt state. You also have a car that unfortunately has metal that oxidizes (rusts). It happens with age/salt/snow. Sand it down and repaint it... or leave it. It isn't coming from the inside. It is kick up from the rear wheels. Even just a little water/salt can cause it. You should just move to SoCal, it would make life easier .
A buddy of mine w/ a 2001 Landcruiser lives in La Jolla right on the cliff above the ocean. He parked his car outside for 1.5 yrs, tailgate started to rust, everything under the hood that was steel and unpainted were coated with rust. If you want zero chance of rusting, move to Arizona....5% humidity and 100F, no way anything stays wet for long. I bought my '03 in early '06. It had been sitting on the dealer lot for at least 3 months, yet all the bolts underneath the body were still shiny.
Old 10-13-08, 06:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I FIXED THE REAR WIPER well not really, lots of wd40, and the wiper will go up, but not back down without the slightest push, back to the drawing board, it's as of the motor doesn't have enough power
Old 06-26-09, 06:51 AM
airdzi
Driver School Candidate

Ticking is from the crack in the exhaust manifold, very common issue on the LX, depending on how it cracks you will hear more or less, in case of small hairline cracks ticking goes away after manifold warms up as your manifold will expand, most early LX's have cracked manifolds, repair = replacement will run $1000 plus, have your dealer look into it, they are very well aware of this issue and fixed many manifolds under warranty.

Small crack is not that big of the problem, car may sound bit louder overall. You can also search groups or just google lx470 manifold crack.
Old 06-26-09, 08:02 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

I have the rust in the tailgate too, but I live in Michigan so I guess it's a given.
Old 06-29-09, 12:33 PM
airdzi
Driver School Candidate

I have rust in my tailgate on LX470, previously owned 1992 Land Cruiser and guess what - It had the same latch handle design and same rust problem.