LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

No grip lats night......do tires make that much of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-02, 09:57 AM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No grip last night......do tires make that much of a difference?

Let me explain Michigans weather last night........it was raining all day long like crazy and between 9 and 9:30 it dropped about 30 degrees and started snowing like crazy with winds in excess of 60mph........imagine that......now here's my story.

The Landcruiser 80 series/Lexus LX450 is supposed to be one of the most capable, if not the most capable SUV vehicle out there for those conditions. I was sliding all over the place......my car couldn't even grip the ground. Could this all be because of my tires? My tires are completely bald, the rear ones at least....no tread life whatsoever left. I purchased replacement ones but haven't mounted them yet. Do the tires make that much of difference? My car has handled conditions worse than that with ease........I had cars passing me....sombody shed some light on this situation. Thanks guys. Oh.......by the way, I haven't put my car in 4x4 low (locked differentials) too much, this night I did and it seemed like the RPM's were way to high for the speed I was going. I know the 4x4 low is not made for street driving exactly but it seemed very bad. What conditions should I use it for and what should I expect when using it or be cautious of. Thanks guys

Last edited by Francis K; 03-10-02 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-10-02, 10:09 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Tires really can make a huge difference. 2-wheel drive cars with the proper snow tires can handle better in the snow than a 4x4 w/o the proper tread. Also, if the roads were icy, no matter what you are driving, it ain't going to be easy to drive on.

In low-range mode you will have much higher rpm's than in 2-wheel or 4-wheel high. Low range multiplies the torque to the axles and gives you much more grunt. This is especially helpful when in very adverse offroad conditons, towing something heavy out of a rut, etc. Basically, low range is to be used at low speeds and in very low traction surfaces.

You will notice the difference in torque if you stop, tranny in "drive" and put the LX in 4-wheel high and let off the brake. Then stop again - go to neutral to put in 4-wheel low and then shift back to drive - you will notice it takes a lot more to stop the vehicle. The LX will probably shift rougher into drive too. By just releasing the brake and applying no gas (idle speed) there will be noticeably more torque.

It's not good for the 4x4 to be engaged and be driven on regular roads for an extended period of time. That is unelss you are in AWD mode. If not the gears will bind. It is meant for slippery surfaces.

-Nick
Old 03-10-02, 10:12 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default hey.......

thanks for the replie nick........but the thing about the LX450.......it is in constant 4x4 high, there is no 2wd or AWD.......only 4x4 high, low and neautral.
Old 03-10-02, 12:42 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I wasn't exactly sure about the specifics of the LX450's 4WD system - what I call AWD is actually permanant 4x4 for the LX. Many 4x4 vehicles stay in 2wd until you shift them into 4x4 high and this should only be done offroad and not in normal onroad driving. The LX's 4WD system is more sophisticated and is designed for onroad conditions - like you said, it's on all the time.

You said the 4WD shifter has a 4-wheel high, neutral, and 4-wheel low selection? If this is so then the permanant 4x4 is a variation of 4x4 high. Then you can select 4x4 high to permanatly engage the 4x4 and the 4x4 low for serious torque and offroad needs.

It is my understanding that, like my '99 Yukon, when you are not shifted in 4x4 high, your LX acts like my former Yukon's "Autotrac" or "Auto 4-wheel drive". It engaged and disengaged 4x4 high (the front differential) when needed then I could permanantly engage 4x4 high when it wanted it on all the time - for loose/slippery surfaces.

Does that makes sense? I know what I'm trying to say, but it may be a little lost in my words

-Nick
Old 03-10-02, 12:48 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default yea........I understand nick.....

The LX450 is always in 4x4 high.........the only choices I have is 4x4 high, neautral or low for any driving.
Old 03-10-02, 12:52 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

wow, that was a quick reply! I would have to say that different tires would do the trick. Michelin LTX M/S tires are a great on/off road compromise with a good tread wear rating and a smooth ride. Or you could go with some big, aggressive looking BF Goodrench Either way, if you hit some ice, nothing much will help, just don't hit the brakes :eek: Being that you live in MI, you'd be better at navigating in that sort of weather than me. Not much of that in Georgia...thank goodness!

The LX450 is a killer offroader for sure.

Last edited by LexRX; 03-10-02 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-10-02, 12:56 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default even quicker reply

yup.........those are the tires I have.....just need to mount them on. I hope this takes care of some of the handling and vibration problems.........thanks nick
Old 03-10-02, 12:58 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: even quicker reply

Originally posted by Francis K
yup.........those are the tires I have.....just need to mount them on. I hope this takes care of some of the handling and vibration problems.........thanks nick
No prob man.