LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Antenna Fix??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 06:58 PM
mfuriya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Fix??

Seems that almost every 80 series Land Cruiser I looked at had a broken antenna motor ( or switch, I never really investigated ). Turns out the LX470 I ended up buying also had the same issue. So I was wondering if anyone has some ideas that they've used other than coughing up $336.12 for the part from the dealer?? I don't mind paying the money if I thought it was going to last but it seems that it's not going to last. Thanks.
Old 04-23-09, 08:56 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

antenna motor? What are the symptoms? There are several other things I can think of then a broken motor. Does it extend at all? do you hear it turn on when you turn on the radio? Can you pull the antenna up by itself?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...-now-what.html
Old 04-26-09, 09:02 AM
mfuriya
Driver School Candidate

1LoudLX- Thanks. Need to clarify. I think that the problem has been with the mast. I think there's a nylon cord that spools and un-spools to raise and lower the mast. Seems like I've noticed a problem there on the LC80 series I looked at and I have the same problem on my '01 LX. The motor runs but the mast doesn't move.
Old 04-26-09, 08:03 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Ok, well that thread tells you how to fix it if its that problem then. If you hear the motor running but no movement thats most likely the case. if not, and it only comes up a couple inches, it could be that your antenna is adjusted to be in teh lowest possible position, you can adjust it by pushing the up on your antenna switch. If you dont hear ANYTHING and dont see any movements, its probably a bad connection or sadly the motor. Check into it.

If the nylon cord is broken, make sure to remove ALL pieces prior to installing the new mast so you do not have any complications.
Old 05-26-09, 08:23 AM
mfuriya
Driver School Candidate

Update on the antenna. Bought the mast on e-bay for $36. Took 2 hours to replace it. Had to get at the motor thru the fender well. Then had to split the case to get the old nylon cord out. Re-installed everything. Turned on the radio and the antenna mast rose about 12". Pushed the antenna switch which made it fully extend. Turned the radio off and on again and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your input 1loudLX.
Old 06-23-09, 07:57 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad you got it worked out. If that e-bay mast happens to go south on you at an early age, replace it with oem. I ordered an e-bay mast from Masts r us and the mast went bad after 2 months. I then paid about $60 for oem and have had much better luck.
Old 06-26-09, 11:25 PM
mfuriya
Driver School Candidate

Default Antenna...

RPH74...Thanks for the advice. Since you brought it up, do you have any suggestions for a place to buy an outside passenger mirror(the whole thing). Been watching E-Bay but not really comfortable with the seller.
Old 06-27-09, 08:52 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't think of any other place, but to find a nice used one on ebay. Perhaps a salvage yard?

Try this site maybe:

http://www.partshotlines.com/
Old 09-20-10, 12:20 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Having trouble with my antenna mast too. It doesn't go all the way down. It goes up properly (all the way and very quickly). It goes down but stops 4 inches short of being completely down.

Is this a motor issue or a mast issue? What steps do I take to narrow down the problem? I don't hear any grinding noises that indicate the motors grinding out. Also the antenna mast is straight so I don't think it's binding (at least not because it's mis-alligned).
Old 09-21-10, 03:04 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Problem solved. User error. Apparently when the stereo is "on" and in "radio" mode, the antenna is designed to not go all the way down.
Old 02-25-11, 02:57 AM
cstu
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else have a problem with getting poor reception? The mast goes up and down just fine but radio stations come in poorly and lose reception easily. I bought a mast off eBay hoping that it's just because the mast is 11 years old.
Old 02-26-11, 11:47 AM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem with nylon cable on my 01...I replaced mast with OEM and have not experienced problem again...However, EVERY FEW WEEKS I CLEAN the antenna with WD 40 when the mast is fully exposed..This prevents any problem with friction due to dirt on the mast..Hope this info is helpful........AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION is worth a pound of cure
Old 02-28-11, 07:57 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

I just put a OEM manual antenna extending antenna in, same price as the replacement mast
Old 04-24-11, 08:21 AM
99LX470
Driver School Candidate

I need to do this replacement also. I actually need the CD Changer fixed, or I need to figure out how to get an Ipod adapter to a 99LX.
Old 06-12-11, 03:11 PM
dan470
Driver School Candidate

Question

My antenna retracks fully but only extends about 3",ant thoughts.

Quick Reply: Antenna Fix??